Off medication before retirement date, is RTD possible?

brohammer

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
So I am now officially off medication. I received a 70% rating, due to my initial symptoms. I have not had any symptoms for over 6 months and in the last couple of months was weened off medication. The diagnosis does not go past an acute disorder (not chornic - less than 6 months of symptoms for pyschosis). The doctors plan to continue to write good evals for me upon the next few times seeing them. Is there any chance that I could return AD? This is what I want btw. I do realize I will likely lose all my benefits, but I don't feel as if I am exp the symptoms at all anymore. I do wish the military would have gave it a little more time to see if it would have resolved before kicking me out. In this process, my clearance was also suspended, I want to be able to get it unsuspended, do I have a case for that now?

I doubt you can RTD. Hopefully if you are off the medication, it is with medical supervision.

No, it is not under medical supervision, as in I am not an impatient or anything like that. It is kind of shocking how quickly they turned it around from making me seem far worse than I am to getting me off medication because I havn't displayed any symptoms, but I am not worried on any level. Do you think they actual have my interests at heart, or they just trying to save the military money? They said they won't submit a return to AD if I don't feel comfortable deploying, but I absolutely do, so I feel like they at least somewhat trying to help me. I'm hoping with this I can at least get my security clearance unsuspended as I well have the proper evidence to submit to OPM. I also am happy as I can keep my pilot's license, since this is not a chronic issue.

I hope you will at least consult with your physician to let him/her know you have decided to not take your prescribed medications. Some medications have significant effects when abruptly discontinued.

I hope you will at least consult with your physician to let him/her know you have decided to not take your prescribed medications. Some medications have significant effects when abruptly discontinued.

My physician took me off medication, it was their recommendation. In the last few months they have lowered my dosages and now am off completely. This is the bizarre thing to me, because I am not officially out yet and the reason I was booted was for the medication I was taking, but now the doctors have taking me off it. My only hope is the intent they are telling me is true, I remain skeptical that it is a move to make me lose all benefits.

Last edited:
File a Congressional.

Go to this site
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/members

Input your address back home

Contact your US Congressman.

Tell him/er you are being put out of the service for a medication you are no longer using. And because of a diagnosis you believe to be incorrect. Ask for his or her help to (stay in the military). They will ask for your request in writing.

Go to this site
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/members

Input your address back home

Contact your US Congressman.

Tell him/er you are being put out of the service for a medication you are no longer using. And because of a diagnosis you believe to be incorrect. Ask for his or her help to (stay in the military). They will ask for your request in writing.

Thank you for the information, I will certainly look into this. Could I contact a senator in the state I am in currently? Or does it have to be from my home of record?

You can use any person who want. However, most people use the congressman from their home of record. A state senator or state rep will NOT work. In the past, I seen people cherry pick at bit to their advantage. Not all Congressman are created equal.

Year ago I had a problem with a VA Medical Center's treatment of my uncle. My friend represented a district, but we got his friend to take the lead. His friend, was chair of the VA subcommittee on VA Medical Centers. It took the VA Medical Center less than 30 minutes from my first phone call to get their stuff collocated.

You can use any person who want. However, most people use the congressman from their home of record. A state senator or state rep will NOT work. In the past, I seen people cherry pick at bit to their advantage. Not all Congressman are created equal.

Year ago I had a problem with a VA Medical Center's treatment of my uncle. My friend represented a district, but we got his friend to take the lead. His friend, was chair of the VA subcommittee on VA Medical Centers. It took the VA Medical Center less than 30 minutes from my first phone call to get their stuff collocated.

Wait a state senator or state Rep will not work? That confuses me, members of congress are one or the other, is there something I am missing here? The state I am currently in would be an advantage as the senator is prior military.

Yeah, as you mention, it is surprising how fast things get moving or things can change when the right people are involved.

The VA and DoD are federal agencies. A US Senator or US Representative will have much more clout. If you personally know a state senator or representative they may be able to make that personal contact with a federal one for you. The personal touch between politicians can help you gain a stronger ally more quickly.