PEB (Knox) is done no MSC contact-advice needed

Kerry.kligora

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Quick background:I am ARNG AGR. PEB initiated in Jan 2016 at Ft Knox. After a gaggle of a MEB I finally got my 199-1 and proposed ratings (100% VA/80% Army)in July 2017 and was approved for COAD to get me to my 20 AFS. I got my retirement orders from HRC in October 2017. I out processed and got my DD214 on 30 Nov. My official retirement date is 30 Jan 18. I sent my 214 to my PEBLO the day I got it.

I have yet to have an exit interview with the Knox MSC and my PEBLO isn't returning my phone calls or emails.

I want to make sure my VA claim is finalized and comp starts on time once I am officially retired.

This whole process has been a cluster from day one and my PEBLO was incompent.

Can anyone explain to me what I need to do at this point to make sure my claim is processed thru VA?

You should be fine. As long as your DD-214 was sent to the VA (i'd upload it into eBenefits just to make sure), the VA will finalize your claim once you are off of active duty. Look on eBenefits and there should be two claims, the first is for your proposed claim and the second will be for the final claim.

Your only contact with MSC should have been when you submitted your VA claim (their job is to scrub your medical records and look for any potential service connected conditions). You are finished with your PEBLO, their job stops the moment that you hit the finance office and get your DD-214.

The only thing that you may be missing out on it Survivors Benefit Plan, check to see if you have made an election.

You should be fine. As long as your DD-214 was sent to the VA (i'd upload it into eBenefits just to make sure), the VA will finalize your claim once you are off of active duty. Look on eBenefits and there should be two claims, the first is for your proposed claim and the second will be for the final claim.

Your only contact with MSC should have been when you submitted your VA claim (their job is to scrub your medical records and look for any potential service connected conditions). You are finished with your PEBLO, their job stops the moment that you hit the finance office and get your DD-214.

The only thing that you may be missing out on it Survivors Benefit Plan, check to see if you have made an election.

I tried to upload my 214 but there isn't any place to upload it on my account. I even used the help to find it to no avail.

I only have one case (open claim) in my ebenefits.

The PEBLO and the VA liaison at Knox both said the MSC was supposed to contact me as soon as HRC had cut my orders to do an exit interview and assist with completing the VA dependency forms etc. That's why I am concerned about no contact from them. Without the dependency form, direct deposit etc, the VA can't pay me when to comes to that point (according to my county vet service officer).

If I wasn't 9 hours from Knox, I would just drive to the IDEAS building and talk to him. The MSC that initially handled my case for c&p exams left her job the day before my exams at Knox and there is only one MSC left there...I met him briefly the week I was at Knox to goto my C&P's, but I wasn't impressed with him then...

As a note, I did my SBP at my out processing at ft McCoy in November so I am good there.
Watch eBenefits for any VA communications and MyPay to ensure you are getting your correct retirement pay. Enjoy your well earned retirement and congratulations on getting COAD to finish your 20Y

Thanks gsfowler.

I am not normally a person to fret over too much, but Knox IDES has been such a goat rope that it's hard to imagine they will actually complete this without jacking it up. I elected to out process at mccoy due to my distrust in anyone at Knox...in hind sight, I should have gone to Knox just so I could stop by the IDES building to make sure everything was good to go....