Possible REFRAD

macduff

PEB Forum Regular Member
I've searched on here but I couldn't find an answer to my question.

Background: I'm a KYNG Soldier on Title 10 orders. My job pipeline is long so I've been on AD since Feb 2011 and I'm still not to AIT yet. I was referred to the MEB process in April of this year for vertiginous attacks and pulled from class. Since then I've been on casual status, doing whatever needs to be done around the company.

My question is whether or not it's possible to get a REFRAD while the MEB process is going on. I don't know if that's the best option right now but I'm trying to figure my options out. If there is a way I could go ahead and get back in school while the process is adjudicated, I feel like that might be a good option.

Thanks for any help, I'm kind of lost when it comes to things like this and it seems that most people I've ran into don't deal with it enough to really know either.

Look at DoDi 1332.38 and your service specific regulations on the medical board process(DES). They will explain both active duty and reserve components. I can't give you an answer, but will say don't withdraw your MEB/PEB because you want the process to be over and get home sooner. Tricare is a huge benefit and I personally wouldn't want to rely on the VA, especially if they don't know what's causing your vertigo.

What stage of the MEB are you in? You said above it started in April, have you done VA exams or NARSUM, met with the PEBLO?

I appreciate the reply. First, I'm not considering withdrawing my MEB. I'm pretty early in the process, my packet was sent to Madigan a month or so ago. I'm waiting on my telephonic interview now.

I guess I thought that it might serve the best interests of the Guard and myself in that I could get back into school rather than being on casual and that the Guard wouldn't have to pay me to do nothing for the better part of a year until my MEB is figured out.

I'll look that reg up right now, thanks again.

Good luck.......don't forget, once you have a "medical monkey" over your back, no government institution is your friend. Collect a check and let them fill your slot via another avenue. Your health needs to be your #1 priority.

E3.P2.7.2.1. Members of a Reserve component on active duty under a call to duty of
more than 30 days may continue disability evaluation upon release from active duty provided
they maintain a Ready Reserve status. However, they must sign a waiver declining retention on
active duty.

The issues are specific to each case...but, it is almost always to your advantage to stay on active orders while your case is adjudicated.