Potential Marian Syndrome

MARFANMEB

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Greetings,

I’m currently in the process of determining a diagnosis for Marfan syndrome. There is strong evidence to support this diagnosis which I’m sure they’ll conclude sometime after my TDY to Lackland. I went to the ER for chest pains and long story short they found I had a dilated aorta (4.5cm) and are now flying me out to Lackland for further tests to include a genetics test.

The reason I’m sure they’ll diagnose me for Marfans is because of my dilated aorta, other smaller symptoms, family history which is riddled with severe cases of it, and my son’s own symptoms of the syndrome. I’ve currently been in 9.5 years and am deeply concerned about my career going forward but would like someone to give it to me straight about what’s most likely going to happen...if possible.

My greatest concerns are am I most likely being medically separated vs medically retired? What disability % marfans is typically rated at? Chances of continuing to serve in the Air Force? My son’s medical issues being covered in the future (he has a ton)? And the general likelihood of me being med boarded?

Any insight with this would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

Sorry about posting this in the wrong forum. Would a mod be able to move it to the appropriate forum?

Marfan is genetic. So EPTS (existed prior to service) is possible. The service must also prove that your condition was not aggravated by service. If your condition EPTS, but was aggravated then you get the difference between your what your condition would have rated when you entered the service (asymptomatic?) and what it currently rates. Best wishes. Mike

Marfan is genetic. So EPTS (existed prior to service) is possible. The service must also prove that your condition was not aggravated by service. If your condition EPTS, but was aggravated then you get the difference between your what your condition would have rated when you entered the service (asymptomatic?) and what it currently rates. Best wishes. Mike

Do you know if this still applies if you’ve been serving over 8 years? I remember reading that for EPTS issues aren’t treated as EPTS if you served longer than 8 years (I’ve been in 9.5). Am I remembering a certain policy improrperly?

Over 8 changes things! You memory is good.

You welcome. Best wises as you move through the long MEB/PEB process. Mike

Final question. What are the chances that I’ll be able to return to duty if my job is an admin job? Or are they more concerned with the combat side of the Air Force when looking at whether they’ll retain you or not?