Promotion eligibility while in MEB/PEB process

jspowell99

PEB Forum Regular Member
Early on in the process I read something that stated that I was not eligible for promotion while undergoing an MEB.

I know that I'm supposed to be coming up for Major this year... does anyone know if not being eligible for promotion means not being boarded or just not being able to pin on if I make the cut?

No, you can still be promoted during the medical board process. My informal board began in Jun, the results came back in the middle of Aug, I started my formal board process and was promoted Sept. 1, had my formal board Oct 11, and my results just came in today.

Marine85,

Thanks for the reply; however it appears that you were boarded before you started the MEB process... is that the case? I am already in the MEB process and was wondering if l will go before the promotion board on time or if l'll have to wait until I'm out of the MEB system.

jspowell99 -- did you ever get an answer to your question? I may wind up in a similar situation. I met my board (O-5) and was selected but am wondering what will happen now. No MEB has been started on me, but I have the feeling that soon there will be -- and it will be before I pin on (early May). Not sure if having met the board makes a difference.

jspowell99 -- did you ever get an answer to your question? I may wind up in a similar situation. I met my board (O-5) and was selected but am wondering what will happen now. No MEB has been started on me, but I have the feeling that soon there will be -- and it will be before I pin on (early May). Not sure if having met the board makes a difference.
MCO P1400.31C (promotion manual) doesn't have any exclusions from promotion regarding Limited Duty, MEB, and/or PEB in regards to O's. I was promoted in between the IPEB and FPEB.

This is from Seps Manual:
6. Promotion
a. Marines (enlisted and officer) processed through the DES who are
otherwise eligible, may be promoted per the appropriate Promotion Manual.
Enlisted Marines retained on active duty in a Permanent Limited Duty (PLD)
status on the convening date of of the appropriate selection board are not
eligible for selection consideration for promotion. Officers retained on
active duty in a PLD status retain their eligibility for selection
consideration for promotion.
b. Marines (enlisted and officer) who have been selected for promotion
and are to be separated because of a disability before their seniority number
being reached, may be promoted with a date of rank the first day of the month
of separation and effective the last day of active duty, provided they are
otherwise qualified. Commanding officers may request via the CMC (MMPR) that
an officer’s promotion be delayed if that officer is mentally, physically,
morally, or professionally unqualified for promotion to the next grade.
c. To compute disability severance pay, a Marine’s grade upon discharge
due to physical disability is determined per 10 U.S.C. 1212. The grade of a
Marine retired due to a physical disability is determined per 10 U.S.C. 1372.
7. Advancement on the Retired List. A Marine being retired for physical
disability will be advanced:
a. To the grade selected; or
b. To the highest temporary or permanent grade in which the Marine served
satisfactorily in any branch of the Armed Forces as determined by the
Secretary of the Navy. In cases where the Secretary's determination has not
been made before the Marine's retirement date, the notification of the
determination will be forwarded to the Marine's retirement address by the CMC
(MMSR-4).
8. The delegated authority conferred by provisons of this chapter is
permissive and does not preclude referral to, or decision by, the CMC (MMSR-4)
for the final disposition of any case.

I know that you are still board-able in the Army. I am in the WTB and got an email that I am eligible to go before the
O-6 board. In the Army, depending on rank, depends on how long you have to hold that rank to be retired in said rank. However, if you are medically retired, you retire in your current rank or, if on a promotion list...that rank that you would have attained.

Draco

so how does that work for enlisted in the WTB? Im an E-6 with plenty of time in grade/rank. I do have a P3 profile and my packet was sent out 2 months ago for ratings. My question is if I am eligible, do I go through my USAR unit or since I am active duty on orders, go through the regular Army?

Im in WTB also, you can get promoted while attached to WTB, we have promotion ceremonies every month, but it's more for SPC and to SGT, I've seen one e-5 to e-6, and one e-6 to e-7

so how does that work for enlisted in the WTB? Im an E-6 with plenty of time in grade/rank. I do have a P3 profile and my packet was sent out 2 months ago for ratings. My question is if I am eligible, do I go through my USAR unit or since I am active duty on orders, go through the regular Army?

Being in a WTB will have nothing to do with your promotion. Active duty E7-E9 boards are centralized and announced yearly for the zones of consideration. You would review your records just like any other E-6 in the zone of consideration. Being that you are a reservist that is activated on title 10 orders, I think your case will be different. Your boards are held separately of active duty boards. The title 10 orders make you active duty for pay and accountability, but do not put you in the same groupings as active duty for promotion. You will need to find out when the reserve E-7 board is.

can someone post the regs so I can search them on google and print them out and take them into my Reserve unit and show them? They told me since I was found unfit for duty by the Army for 3 things and I am waiting on ratings, I cannot get promoted. All I need is a reg like
pittpan2005
posted for the Officer Marine for Enlisted Reservists in WTB. Thanks

I know that you are still board-able in the Army. I am in the WTB and got an email that I am eligible to go before the
O-6 board. In the Army, depending on rank, depends on how long you have to hold that rank to be retired in said rank. However, if you are medically retired, you retire in your current rank or, if on a promotion list...that rank that you would have attained.

Draco
how did it work out? I'm NG and going through the same process with the DA Board coming up. Any tips or experience that you can share would be greatly appreciated.

how did it work out? I'm NG and going through the same process with the DA Board coming up. Any tips or experience that you can share would be greatly appreciated.
If your fully promotable and get medically retired from DoD you get retired with the next rank, for example I was a SPC and got retired by DoD as a SGT, because I was on the promotion list, and therefore you’re retired in the rank you would’ve obtained if it wasn’t for your disabilities.

In the other hand, if your NOT promotable you won’t get the promotion. You’re retired with the rank you have.

A few regs that may help people pending their individual situation...

US Code Title 10 14311 - Delay of promotion involuntary

Army Officer Promotion IDES NGR 600-100_202211122