Reservist found Unfit For Retention, requested PEB but confused on process

tuckaaron

Registered Member
I was found unfit for retention a few months ago and requested the PEB. I did 12 active before going into the reserves and during my last mobilization I was sent home for syncope. The command just let me demobilize. However, I have documentation in the system to validate this as well as having this occur while on active duty previously. I have a 100% rating from the VA already which is what initiated the reserve unit sending me to a Medical Review Board. They came back unfit for retention and here we are.

My understanding is that the reserve center medical have sent my package off for the PEB but I am clueless on what happens at this point. Am I suppose to be assigned a PEBLO or does the medical department just act as one? Also once they place it in IDES what is the process exactly? What I mean is do i start at the beginning again or if the MRRB found me unfit I go directly to the PEB? Again super confused and I can't get any answers from the reserve center as well.

Thanks

Matt Kozyra

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
@tuckaaron,

What branch of service are you in? Each branch handles their Reserve disability processing a little differently, so that's important info to have. The one thing that's common to all of the services, though, is that the Reserve side is totally jacked up and no one knows what they're doing. Probably preaching to the choir here.

The most important question I have from your narrative is whether you have an LOD or MEDHOLD letter for your syncope issue. If you were on mob when it happened, you should have gotten a MEDHOLD package routed, saying that the syncope was incurred or aggravated in the line of duty, not due to your own misconduct.

If you've got that letter, you'll go through the normal IDES process like most everyone else on this site. You'll get a PEBLO assigned to you, your treating doctors will write up a NARSUM, your CO will write a statement, etc. Happy to answer more specific questions about the process.

If you DON'T have that letter, then your processing will look very similar, but will go horribly wrong at the end. Reservists whose injuries were in the line of duty qualify for either a finding of Fit (go back to work - you're fine) or Unfit (separate with severance pay or medical retirement benefits). Reservists whose injuries were NOT in the line of duty qualify for either a finding of Physically Qualified ("PQ:" go back to work - you're fine) or Not Physically Qualified ("NPQ:" separate without benefits).

In other words, there is no way for you to get a medical retirement, or even a severance check, without a letter from your Service's personnel command saying that your condition is duty-related.

The process for getting an LOD approved can be longer than the Med Board process, depending on your branch. So it's super important to get the ball rolling on that immediately, if you don't already have that letter in hand.

So, two questions. What's your branch, and do you have an LOD or MEDHOLD letter?

tuckaaron

Registered Member
Thanks Matt,
So it is in the NARSUM and documented both during my time on active duty (11 years) and during the MOB as well. The first occurrence happened within 2 weeks after my first anthrax vaccine and I sent in the CDC and pharmaceutical reports showing linkages as well. I was offered medhold but with the pay loss, I was receiving already during the mob I couldn't afford to hang out. I assume that the documentation from PHA, physicals, and tests (tilt table) will be the LOD. My branch was Navy.

Syncope was already rated at 30% years ago when I first went into the reserves from active duty. I do also, however, have PTSD at 50% (service-combat related), 40% lower back and 40% upper back with stenosis, 3 bulged and herniated discs, missing ligament in ankle from tearing while overseas deployed, and some nerve damage, again all considered combat-related plus tears in both shoulders and a few other smaller things. I have been rated 100% by the VA pretty much since I left active service in 2010.

As I said, the NARSUM, my doctors letter, and the CO letter state it is all combat related as well as the fact i was sent home early from the last mobilization.

My initial confusion on this whole process really came when the reserve med board found me unfit, I requested the PEB but no one seems to have a clue what that actually means or the process. I was told I will get put into the IDES but again they also said the reserve IDES will be different. So there is a ton of confusion at this point as to what to expect.

Thanks

tuckaaron

Registered Member
@tuckaaron,

So, two questions. What's your branch, and do you have an LOD or MEDHOLD letter?
Thanks Matt,
So it is in the NARSUM and documented both during my time on active duty (11 years) and during the MOB as well. The first occurrence happened within 2 weeks after my first anthrax vaccine and I sent in the CDC and pharmaceutical reports showing linkages as well. I was offered medhold but with the pay loss, I was receiving already during the mob I couldn't afford to hang out. I assume that the documentation from PHA, physicals, and tests (tilt table) will be the LOD. My branch was Navy.

Syncope was already rated at 30% years ago when I first went into the reserves from active duty. I do also, however, have PTSD at 50% (service-combat related), 40% lower back and 40% upper back with stenosis, 3 bulged and herniated discs, missing ligament in ankle from tearing while overseas deployed, and some nerve damage, again all considered combat-related plus tears in both shoulders and a few other smaller things. I have been rated 100% by the VA pretty much since I left active service in 2010.

As I said, the NARSUM, my doctors letter, and the CO letter state it is all combat related as well as the fact i was sent home early from the last mobilization.

My initial confusion on this whole process really came when the reserve med board found me unfit, I requested the PEB but no one seems to have a clue what that actually means or the process. I was told I will get put into the IDES but again they also said the reserve IDES will be different. So there is a ton of confusion at this point as to what to expect.

Thanks

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">