Sleep Aphnea and CPAP monitoring by the VA

theoot

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
So I found this to be interesting. In the IDES process I was diagnosed with sleep aphnea, requiring a pressure of 13 psi. When the lady delivered my machine, she pointed out that it had an SD card, and that the VA would be downloading these cards in the future to verify that people are using the machines in order to maintain the disability benifits. I use mine and it has improved my AHI dramaticlly, but after talking to my neurologist who administers the sleep studies I got the impression there is alot of pushback from the VA on all the SA cases they are seeing, so they are being alot more reluctant to give this diagnosis. This is at NAS Jax, but I imagine it will spread to other facilities as well.

Is there a way to fake sleep apnea? I dont see how. I thought I had a serious case, but after the study it said I was mild. I would hate to see a severe case.

The 50% rating requires use of a CPAP. The card verifies the CPAP is being used. If not, the rating may be downgraded.

Mike

I was rated 50% by VA for sleep apnea. No card data required. I use CPAP every night and am nearly 100% compliant. I fight anyone who tries to take it away from me. I have a severe case with 20psi due to anatomical factors working against me, and not weight. But the severity of your case makes no difference, as along as you have been prescribed a CPAP machine. On the other hand I know several soldiers who have CPAP and don't use it. My view is that they are cheating more themselves if they don't use it over the long run. I highly recommend that anyone with CPAP and struggling with using CPAP to Google sleep apnea forums to get help. That's what I did way back when and it made all the difference. Also realize that many CPAP users are athletes, actors, CEOs, etc. It's become the thing to have among the fitness crowds as well. If CPAP is detected when you are young, then you can really prevent a lot of bad health conditions in older age (stroke, high BP, even diabetes). Or look at it this way, who doesn't want to optimize their sleep and get paid by the VA to do it?

I've had mine for 3 months, and attempt to use it every night...after about 2 hours, I give up...I already get very little sleep as it is, and this thing is just causing me to get even less because I can't go to sleep with it...They say it takes time to get use to it...I'm still waiting and trying...

I would wear it; look at this way (die or wear it). just reality. How I look at it; I wear mine.

I have diagnose with insomnia is that the same thing as sleep apnea and im taking ambien 10mg at night that don't seem to be even putting a dent in it? Also is there any better I can take or get for sleep?

I have diagnose with insomnia is that the same thing as sleep apnea and im taking ambien 10mg at night that don't seem to be even putting a dent in it? Also is there any better I can take or get for sleep?

No, insomnia is completely different than sleep apnea. I can't find anything in DODI 1332.38, 14 Nov 1996 (Incorporating Change 1, July 10, 2006) for insomnia.

As a pilot, we had to "try" a couple different sleep meds.....so the mil can prescribe several different types.

Sleep Medications by Prescription

in my experience, 10mg of ambien really does the trick. Definitely see the Dr. Any caffeine after about 4 pm? are you trying to mask a different problem (stress, ptsd, ect) under the heading of insomnia?

This is at NAS Jax, but I imagine it will spread to other facilities as well.

Im at NAS JAX also, for years I have bin told I have/might have SA, My sister a nurse, my wife a proir corman and the lastest my anesthesiagist ( after my sugery ). I have bin not saying anything to the Navy before. I was told it was grounds for serperation. Now im in my retirement window, I asked my PCM about it during a check up, he asked if I was triered alot (I'm in engineering, so I'm used to not sleeping), I told him no with out really thinking about it. He quickly said I do not have SA.

Is there a way to fake sleep apnea? I dont see how.

No, not really. They monitor your breathing, brain waves, etc... so I don't really think it would be possible.

So I found this to be interesting. In the IDES process I was diagnosed with sleep aphnea, requiring a pressure of 13 psi. When the lady delivered my machine, she pointed out that it had an SD card, and that the VA would be downloading these cards in the future to verify that people are using the machines in order to maintain the disability benifits. I use mine and it has improved my AHI dramaticlly, but after talking to my neurologist who administers the sleep studies I got the impression there is alot of pushback from the VA on all the SA cases they are seeing, so they are being alot more reluctant to give this diagnosis. This is at NAS Jax, but I imagine it will spread to other facilities as well.

I'm, in the same area, I have had my CPAP for a few weeks now. I'm still active duty. Mine came with a SD card and was told (by the guy who delivered it) Its used by the VA. I will be getting a new SD by mail in the future and I will have to swap it out and mail in my old one. I have mine at 10 psi and it has really helped me. I just have to stay awake a little longer to let my wife fall asleep first, she thinks I look scary with it on, LOL. I hope the VA gets clears this pushback you mentioned by next year when i get out.

I was diagnosed with insomnia last October by a private sleep study clinic after undergoing a sleep study. Last week I did a sleep study at VA hospital Gainesville and was diagnosed with sleep apnea and will be provided a CPAP machine. I also take 10 mg of ambien.

I did a full sleep study and you do get monitored for 6-8 hours of sleeping, not only do they see if you snore, they check your breathing, how often you move around in your sleep. I ended up having MODERATE SA, Restless leg syndrome. I have to use the APAP and it does get checked monthly to make sure i am using it right. I am not sure VA checks to see if you are using it, but the vendors that provided the machine will report to who i dont know if you have went under 80% of usage. I was told by VA that it is 50%.

I had my CPAP machine for a few days and only can stand wearing it for a few hours. I think maybe they didn't set it correctly because the one I used at the sleep study was a whole better especially when exhaling, the machine at the sleep study place was more relaxing for me and was able to asleep quickly, maybe something is wrong with my machine.

Yeah I have had my CPAP since Dec 1 2012. At first they had it set to start at 4psi and ramp to 18psi over 60 min. But after about 90 min i would wake up because i could feel it blowing on me (even though 18psi is what i need). I went back to Sleep Clinic Appt and they adjusted it to an auto rather than ramp. So it turns on at 4psi and stays there until i sleep and my breathing changes then it automatically goes to the appropriate psi, be it 10 or 12 or 18 etc. I am wearing it for 2 to 3 hour periods now. The sleep clinic did download my chip and found out it was getting turned off after 90 min that is how they make the adjustment. If you are trying to use it and working with medical staff i think it is all good.

There are several different types of masks that a person can use with there CPAP that can help with comfort. I use a RESMED nasal mask and its very comfortable (see link below). Another thing that I take into consideration when it comes to wearing the mask is that if you don't you can die. Does anyone remember Reggie White from the Green Bay Packers? He died in his sleep and his death was linked to sleep apnea and he was only 43 years old. It's estimated that there are 38,000 cardiovascular deaths each year due to Sleep Apnea.

http://www.cpapsupplyusa.com/61500-ResMed-Swift-FX-Nasal-Pillows-System.aspx

I do not know about the card being checked. I know mine just shows how many sessions and hours used within the last 90 days. However, it does not tell the TIMES it is used.

'Theoretically', one could use it while sitting and watching TV, on the computer, slip in a nap, etc from 1300 - 1700/1800 and would be within the 'time requirements'. My wife says I look like an alien when I wear mine. I went to a smaller mask and it does help with the sleep. Since I also have restless leg syndrome, it's hard for me to get 4-7 hours of non-interrupted sleep.

Draco

It took me several adjustments and masks for my doc to realize that I needed to move from a CPAP to BIPAP. However, my issues were more related to other pulmonary issues I have- I wasn't able to handle constant pressure on the exhale- and the BIPAP has titrated pressure...constant pressure on the inhale, then reduced pressure on the exhale. This removed the feeling like I was suffocating and unable to breathe out.
As for masks, request to try them all (full face, nose only and nasal). After doing this, I found that:

1. with the nose only, I breathe through my mouth at times in the night and it makes this mask style unacceptable. they gave me a chin strap to keep my mouth closed, but it was uncomfortable and too controlling for my liking.
2. with the nasal canula style, I didn't like having the cups stuck up my nose all night. The doc said to goop vasoline on it, but that wouldn't fly with me either. Additionally, it is a hell of a lot of pressure concentrated blowing up your nostrils.:eek:
3. After several attempts, I landed on the full face Resmed mask with the gel inserts and adjustable upper bridge. This mask can be uncomfortable at times because it covers a large portion of your face, but it spreads the air pressure out evenly and (after a few months to a year or so) is manageable to wear throughout the night.

It is also important to have a CPAP/BIPAP that has a heated humidifier. This prevents your nose and throat from drying out- which is a big reason why many people don't use their machine as prescribed. Another important area to mention is that you have to clean your gear regularly- I disassemble my mask and soak it, the head strap and the tubing in a mixture of warm to hot water and vinegar. This eliminates bacteria growth and (as long as you rinse the gear out completely) removes any/all odor.

Overall, I agree with many of the posts above- CPAP/BIPAP can save your life and prevent future disease. It takes a while to get used to using it (some people a few months, others over a year). I take my machine with me everywhere I go (vacation, TDY, etc.) because I have severe OSA/mixed- I also have an oxygen concentrator tied in with the BIPAP, but it is too big to to bring outside of the house.

If you are having problems with the machine, don't give up on it! Go back in and have the sleep center get it right/hone it in for you. That is what they get paid to do. Sleep apnea can be a life threatening situation....if you were to decide to camp in bear infested woods, would you risk it and leave your loaded weapon at home?;)

It took me several adjustments and masks for my doc to realize that I needed to move from a CPAP to BIPAP. However, my issues were more related to other pulmonary issues I have- I wasn't able to handle constant pressure on the exhale- and the BIPAP has titrated pressure...constant pressure on the inhale, then reduced pressure on the exhale. This removed the feeling like I was suffocating and unable to breathe out.
As for masks, request to try them all (full face, nose only and nasal). After doing this, I found that:

1. with the nose only, I breathe through my mouth at times in the night and it makes this mask style unacceptable. they gave me a chin strap to keep my mouth closed, but it was uncomfortable and too controlling for my liking.
2. with the nasal canula style, I didn't like having the cups stuck up my nose all night. The doc said to goop vasoline on it, but that wouldn't fly with me either. Additionally, it is a hell of a lot of pressure concentrated blowing up your nostrils.:eek:
3. After several attempts, I landed on the full face Resmed mask with the gel inserts and adjustable upper bridge. This mask can be uncomfortable at times because it covers a large portion of your face, but it spreads the air pressure out evenly and (after a few months to a year or so) is manageable to wear throughout the night.

It is also important to have a CPAP/BIPAP that has a heated humidifier. This prevents your nose and throat from drying out- which is a big reason why many people don't use their machine as prescribed. Another important area to mention is that you have to clean your gear regularly- I disassemble my mask and soak it, the head strap and the tubing in a mixture of warm to hot water and vinegar. This eliminates bacteria growth and (as long as you rinse the gear out completely) removes any/all odor.

Overall, I agree with many of the posts above- CPAP/BIPAP can save your life and prevent future disease. It takes a while to get used to using it (some people a few months, others over a year). I take my machine with me everywhere I go (vacation, TDY, etc.) because I have severe OSA/mixed- I also have an oxygen concentrator tied in with the BIPAP, but it is too big to to bring outside of the house.

If you are having problems with the machine, don't give up on it! Go back in and have the sleep center get it right/hone it in for you. That is what they get paid to do. Sleep apnea can be a life threatening situation....if you were to decide to camp in bear infested woods, would you risk it and leave your loaded weapon at home?;)

this is good info i'm in moderate osa mixed and also a mouth breather. I'm on a full mask which is ok but can only do about 1.5 hours when i fall asleep then i wake up at about 0400 and do another 1.5

i need 12 to 18 psi so the doc thinks i may nee bipap as the exhale might be what is waking me up. she said i may have to do another sleep study to get the bipap. man i hate those things.