SSDI

I received this packet in the mail; functional assessment from SSDI. End result it asks about 50 questions. Does this form weight alot on their decesion. I honestly think it is truly jacked up the questions they ask.

End result; I am able to take a shower that makes me functional!!!

Should I answer short and to the point since they have all my records?

Should I submit my own letter with it?

Is this a good sign?

WoW, I'm never big on giving govt agencies to much information.....BUT....... I would answer the questions as worst case scenario's...... when I shower my wife helps me so I don't fall.....

I would go with explianed answers.... agian in the worst case scenerio situation. Yes I could work if they would accommidate me, Breaks every 60 min to sit down etc, etc,...
They are assessing you on how theses injuries or "disabilities" impact you, your family and your life...... if you merely apply the military mindset FIDO (which we all do) they have no reason to think you require their assistance.

Don't lie, but don't paint some rosey situation that doesn't portray your true situation in worst case senerio's..... think of it as the ten happy faces VA uses ( :) to :(), if you tell them anything under a 6 they don't need to see you.... even if you need help!!!!!

I would write it as "realistic" as possible. Write it out a few times, take breaks, and come back an re-read. We have a tendency to write in a way that makes us look better than we actually are. For myself, I had to re-write these functional assessments and personal statements many many times because I thought/think I have more "good" days than bad, but my wife pointed out that in actuality I have more bad days than good. Having someone else review might also help. Put yourself in the adjudicator's position and think of what conclusion it leads them to.

;) That's what I was trying to say... lol

Thanks still think it is a BS form. Sad but there are drug addicts receiving SS that haven't worked a day in their life. Not SSDI. End result; like everyone on here tired of telling the same story. My conclusion; if the doctor diagnosis something it should be blessed off on with just this. The same for the PEB and VA. Why must Veterans prove their sick. We bail out banks and the mortgage industry knowing they actually steal without them having to explain.

Thanks still think it is a BS form. Sad but there are drug addicts receiving SS that haven't worked a day in their life. Not SSDI. End result; like everyone on here tired of telling the same story. My conclusion; if the doctor diagnosis something it should be blessed off on with just this. The same for the PEB and VA. Why must Veterans prove their sick. We bail out banks and the mortgage industry knowing they actually steal without them having to explain.

I feel you. It is troubling knowing so many people are receiving SS benefits by abusing the system. I was denied twice and am currently waiting on my formal appeal with the judge and my advocate. It will finally give me the opportunity to explain my conditions in my words while presenting all the evidence that was overlooked during the initial and informal appeal. Unfortunately, we do have to prove our illnesses/conditions to be considered, otherwise we would see even more corruption and undeserving individuals taking serious advantage of this system.

I feel you. It is troubling knowing so many people are receiving SS benefits by abusing the system. I was denied twice and am currently waiting on my formal appeal with the judge and my advocate. It will finally give me the opportunity to explain my conditions in my words while presenting all the evidence that was overlooked during the initial and informal appeal. Unfortunately, we do have to prove our illnesses/conditions to be considered, otherwise we would see even more corruption and undeserving individuals taking serious advantage of this system.

I had a VA call the other day and they stated that I had no record of TBI in my Yellow Ribbon Reintegration Program interview. I asked "where was I ever interviewed by a VA Yellow Ribbon Reintegration Program". They stated "well we couldn't find that either" . GAWD THE BURRACRACY :confused:

I'm waiting on my ALJ (Administrative Law Judge) hearing also. Just sent my lawyer my paperwork granting me 90 percent from the VA. My lawyer's office said they have been having a lot of trouble getting copies of veterans' medical records from the VA. Luckily I had already obtained a copy and sent it to them. Hope that with this new "medical evidence" I will get approved. I don't mind proving my illnesses/conditions, but I dislike going to the SSD/SSDI medical consult appts. I only had to go to one, and felt very uncomfortable there. Good Luck!! I hope each of you that apply, get the results that you are hoping for.

I'm waiting on my ALJ (Administrative Law Judge) hearing also. Just sent my lawyer my paperwork granting me 90 percent from the VA. My lawyer's office said they have been having a lot of trouble getting copies of veterans' medical records from the VA. Luckily I had already obtained a copy and sent it to them. Hope that with this new "medical evidence" I will get approved. I don't mind proving my illnesses/conditions, but I dislike going to the SSD/SSDI medical consult appts. I only had to go to one, and felt very uncomfortable there. Good Luck!! I hope each of you that apply, get the results that you are hoping for.

Amen Brother, GOOD LUCK ;)

I provided copies of all military records and my VA C&P exams as I have not been rated yet. But I was never sent to a SSD/SSDI medical consult. When I was denied, I asked why I was never sent to one of these appointments. I actually welcomed it, but it never came. Just hope my hearing occurs soon as once I am released I am out and moving out of state and will have to wait even longer to finish the SSDI process. Good luck with your hearing!

I have never even heard of a VA Yellow Ribbon Reintegration Program. I'm going to do a search for that one.

I
I have never even heard of a VA Yellow Ribbon Reintegration Program. I'm going to do a search for that one.

It almost sounded like a set up to me..... First he says he shows no record a me mentioning TBI at a VA Yellow Ribbon Reintegration Program. Then when I question him about when I might have been to one he says " Well I don't show that you ever attended one"...... WTF, am I crazy or are the weasels guarding the hen house? :confused:
It is listed on the VA WOUNDED WARRIOR site page or OIF/OEF returning soldiers page.

I searched for it and really didn't find much of anything. Don't you just love the way all this info is so available and shared by the VA.

I provided copies of all military records and my VA C&P exams as I have not been rated yet. But I was never sent to a SSD/SSDI medical consult. When I was denied, I asked why I was never sent to one of these appointments. I actually welcomed it, but it never came. Just hope my hearing occurs soon as once I am released I am out and moving out of state and will have to wait even longer to finish the SSDI process. Good luck with your hearing!
Keep in mind you can transfer your case if you move or leave it with the current jurisdiction. I moved out of the country while waiting for my hearing date and let my lawyer handle everything. This allowed me to keep my SSDI hearing where I wanted and they were able to have my case reviewed by the Judge before my hearing and was awarded benefits without needing to appear. I was denied benefits twice prior. Hope it works out for you.

Yeah, I just found out an hour ago that my SSDI hearing is scheduled for July 25th. I might not still be in my current state when that occurs, so my advocate is trying to get me in earlier. I hope someone cancels between now and then. I have been waiting 5 months for my hearing and to find out I have to wait over two more months is just frustrating.

You're not hiring a firm? If you have back pay owed they can take up to 6k(max) for lawyer fees, but it can be worth it.

I was going to hire a firm, however, Hawaii Disability Rights Center provides free advocate services for these hearings. My advocate has a very good working relationship with the judge and after reviewing and accepting my case, is fairly confident I will be awarded SSDI with backpay. If not, I will appeal and use an attorney. But my advocate has a very good record of getting these cases approved. A good majority of those in the WTU here also use her and have had great results.

Almost everyone gets turned down at least once for SSDI, and VA Disability Comp is almost as bad. I was 100% VA disabled, and still had to battle them for benefits. The military teaches you to be stoic, and show no weakness. These agencies need to see you and talk to you on your absolutely WORSE days, unmedicated and desperate. I tend to dress up to go out in public, but for these guys no make-up, because if I look good I must feel good (and they note it in your charts). Sure, my pain is at a level of 3 on a scale of 1 to 10, but I'm so medicated that I can't drive, operate machinery, or walk very far, so when I go in for a range of motion test no pain pills. No anti-anxiety meds when I had my psyche appointments. Am I manipulating the system? Hell, no! I can't afford my meds without the benefits, I can't work with the meds, my quality of life sucks, and would suck even more if I had to live without VA or SSDI. When you fill out your forms don't lie, just tell them what your life is like when you have no meds, no help around the house, no help with the yard, no one to drive your kids around, a lack of ability to go anywhere that doesn't rent wheelchairs, no desire to go out of the house because by the time you spend any amount of time out you are in so much pain that you need to turn around and go home so you can take your meds and lay down. Family vacations? Hotel beds, standing in lines, going on rides? Ah, no more stoicism. Just reality. Put worst case scenerio, then add some. You can also have spouses and care-givers fill those forms out, too. I actually had one of my children write down what life was like now that his Mom's back was broken and she had her "nervous breakdown". I got my benefits for myself and my family. OH YEAH, ITS BETTER TO SPEND MONEY ON NOLO'S GUIDE TO GETTING SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS than to spend it on an attorney.