Stress Fractures during Basic Training

cshelvock

Registered Member
My daughter was 2 weeks from graduation at Fort Leonard Wood when she stepped off a 2 foot drop with her ruck sack and felt pain. 3 days later she was diagnosed with a level 4 stress fracture in her left hip AND right ankle. All she wants is to come home. She is in pain. They have her on crutches but because she has fractures on both sides they dont help unless she is standing still and then the relief is minimal, they say she can not have con leave and that she can not be chaptered out. Her only option according to them is med board. I think they wont let her have con leave because she wants out. Help! She does not see a doctor again until May 3rd. She has seen a physical therapist who told her that her only option is med board. I would love to see her finish BCT but I think at this point she just wants out. I understand that her hip and ankle could heal 100% or they could give her problems in the future depending on the person. What should she be asking? She would leave right now with nothing if they would let her. I just want to make sure of her options. She is young and the only other job she held (just over a 18 months) was very physical on her feet all day kind of job. Please help. What should she be doing?

Cshelvock,

Thank you for your daughters service, and thank you for raising a child who turned into a woman who chose (in a time of war) to serve her country.

I don't know why she wouldn't be able to take con leave! Could be some rule (regulation) that I'm not aware of for soldiers in Basic. Tell her to ask why specifically she can't take con leave. The people in charge of her physical well being (doctor and physical therapist), it is there duty to take care of her and do what is best for her!

MEB wouldn't be the worst, maybe the best, thing that she could do. It's a process that takes time but has potential to leave her in a very good position with benefits and compensation... that probably neither she or you know about. For example, she could come out of a MEB being medically retired from the military. Not saying that would happen or that it is the best option but it is a possibility.

I know that she must feel very helpless, as I'm sure you do, at this moment. The unknown and culture shock of basic is enough to deal with... throw in an injury... that's tough. Tell her to hang in there. Tell her everything is going to work out. Her doing this was going to be hard anyway... right? :)

She still has the right to go to JAG (legal). She still has the right to go to patient advocacy. She still has the right to go to IG. Still has the right to contact a congress person and let know of her situation. Knowledge is power! :)

I know that this has to be a very trying time for both you and your daughter cshelvock. My prayers go out to both of you. I've been where you are right now! My daughter has been diagnosed with a stress fracture on her left ischeal pubis ramus, a stress fracture in the thicker part of her pelvis and a stress reaction on her right pubis ramus, injuries she incurred during her 5th week of BCT at Fort Leonard Wood, MO. This occured the last week of November 2010 and after being home on 30 days of con leave over Christmas and still in a great deal of pain a little over 2 months into the healing process, she decided to give up her dream of being a Soldier and is currently going thru the MEB process and will be medically discharged. It's been 5 months since she was put on profile and she is still not healed. And like you, one of our concerns was and is the possibility that this injury could cause her problems for the rest of her life.

First off, I think your daughter should ask her Doctor and Physical Therapist about Con Leave. That is something that would allow her to heal at home for approx 30 days, with loved ones, and give her some time to make up her mind which direction she wants to go with her Military Career. It's a big decision. Let me tell you, this has been a LONG process and we are still an estimated 7-8 weeks from having our daughter home again. Like your daughter, she too wants to get home and start down another career path. She feels like so much time is being wasted by sitting around waiting for paperwork to be processed.

Good Luck to you and your daughter. And yes, please thank her for her service to our Country! If she goes through the MEB process due to her injuries, she will more than likely come out with Veteran Status. STAY STRONG for her and BE PROUD of her. She needs all the support she can get through this process.

Always, ArmyMomAZ

Wow! I did my Basic and AIT at Fort Leonardwood in 1987! I have been serving for over 16 years myself both Guard/Active Army and currently find myself on the chopping block due to many medical issues. I'm sad that I'll never get my 20 year letter, but I'm greatful for the time I've served! Good Luck and God Bless! HUAH!!

Do not overlook the value of a military retirement. Compensation aside, there is eligibility for TriCare for the member and for eligible dependents. This can be a very valuable benefit. For those with relatively little time in the military, often the money will be greater from the VA. But, in this case, it sounds like the act of jumping off a truck with ruck sack suggest a potential combat-related injury. This would make any benefit tax-free and also open up eligibility to CRSC, which would give at least a partial restoration of VA offset (essentially allowing double dipping between military and VA compensation).

First off, I think your daughter should ask her Doctor and Physical Therapist about Con Leave. That is something that would allow her to heal at home for approx 30 days, with loved ones, and give her some time to make up her mind which direction she wants to go with her Military Career.

The physical therapist told her she was not eligible for con leave because there was no expectation that she would return and be able to finish BCT. They keep moving her around and in some barracks she is on the 4th floor. I am sure her healing is slowed a lot just because there is never any true rest. She apparently is unable to finish her paperwork until she sees the doctor again on May3.

Combat related injury? even though she was in basic training? This is all so new to me. I do not want to get my daughter to get benefits she is not entitled to but then again I dont want her to be permenantly injured and have nothing. It sounds like the Army will not let her come back later and say she does have long lasting damage after all. She basically has to guess now. This is hard.

No Con Leave? Then it appears they are already giving her an 'unfit for duty' classification and she should be assigned a PEBLO and start working through the MEB process. I sent you a private message cshelvock. We can correspond via email, it's alot simpler. Hope to hear from you soon! ArmyMomAZ

Hi. Im actually home from basic on con leave right now for stress fractures in my hips. I go back in just a few days. Im worried that my injury wont be healed enough for me to continue my training. I was told that when I returned I can continue my training close to where I left off if Im healed, but I dont know what will happen if they say Im not. Im really worried about it because a military career means everything to me and its all Ive ever really wanted to do. I was a day away from going into blue phase (or graduation phase) which is the last 3 weeks of basic. I heard rumors before I left that if Im not healed I'll go back to reception (im at fort Jackson) until they do then Ill have the choice of either starting my basic over or deciding not to and getting discharged. But I have no idea if thats true or not. They were just what other privates told me they had heard. Any information on this would be extremely helpful. Thanks. And a thank you to all those who have chosen to serve our country. Hoorah!

I'm so glad I found this page. My daughter is home on leave right now until Dec 7th. She only had one week left to go before graduation. She has stress fractures in both feet and they wouldn't let her finish. Now that she is home I'm afraid she won't want to go back. I'm sure she has to. She said the PA she saw told her they would probably just chapter her out and start the process when she returned. Her feet seem to be getting better. She's young, healthy and never had any health problems before. Why wouldn't they just let her finish BCT and go on to A school. I think she is afraid she will go back and be stuck there for a good while, especially over Christmas. Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Daughter called me distraught because she was told she had stress fractures and had to come home for 6 months She's at Ft.Jackson. Why 6 months rather than letting her do therapy there, I don't get it.She's been there since Feb 27th,I'm going to be supportive no matter what but I don't want her to quit if theres's a possibility of her going back. I just feel like if she quits that will become a pattern in life.Some information & advice would be much appreciated.

In the Army, Army Regulation 635-200, paragraph 5-11 provides that Soldiers who were not medically qualified under procurement medical fitness standards when accepted for enlistment or who became medically disqualified under these standards prior to entrance on active duty or active duty training or initial entry training will be separated. A medical proceeding, regardless of the date completed, must establish that a medical condition was identified by appropriate medical authority within six months of the Soldier’s initial entrance on active duty, that the condition would have permanently or temporarily disqualified the Soldier for entry into the military service had it been detected at that time, and the medical condition does not disqualify the Soldier from retention in the service under the provisions of Army Regulation 40-501, chapter 3. The characterization of service for Soldiers separated under this provision of regulation will normally be honorable, but will be uncharacterized if the Soldier is in an entry level status. For simple stress fractures, one might say, "I didn't have a stress fracture before I entered active duty." While this is true, the bone weakness which allowed the stress fracture (assuming the stress fracture was a result of training and not an injury) existed prior to service, and will heal over time once the stressors of initial entry training (IET) end.

I am in active duty and stationed oversea, i have stress fracture shin pain and shin splint for more than 8 months and have been on temporary profile. just be told i will be getting chapter-ed out , am only 18 months in the army. what is going to be my fate? i need help.

I'm going through the same problems right now. My daughter went into BCT at Ft. Leonard Wood in 10/11. They had her running with rucksacks, she said she guessed around 50lbs, had her scaling walls, ect. Thought she pulled a groin muscle. She ignored it for a few days thinking it would get better. She said it got to the point she was always in pain. She asked to go to sick call to have it checked out. The drill instructors made her wait another week before they allowed her to go. Their excuse was that most recruits fake being sick or hurt to get out of training. When they finally let her go the xrays showed she had a grade 4 fracture in her pelvic bone. I think if they would have let her go when she said something it wouldn't have been as bad.

I am very disappointed in the way our injured soldiers are being treated. My daughter was put on crutches for 3 weeks before the ssgts took the crutches away (Not the doctors). The doctors reports suggested that she not do any heavy lifting bending kneeling or walk great distances. She was made to do all of this. The ssgts response when asked why was because the medical reports only stated that it was suggested which means he doesn't have to follow those suggestions. These kids were made to go to other barracks and clean and do their bed clothes. They are made to walk everywhere even though they are not suppose to be walking great distances. My wife and I went to visit her. They were allowed out on a 6 hour pass. We drove from Chicago area to visit. Along with her we were surrounded by about 15 other kids. We we told buy these kids how they are made to wait until ALL other soldiers have eaten at chow before they are allowed to go through and try to find something to eat. Mind you at this point all the decent food is taken and the rest of the stuff no one wanted was left for them to eat. The kids told us how they are not allowed to anything except do the work that is assigned to them or sit on the edges of their beds and wait for orders. They told us how the ssgts swear at them, call them useless, tell them that they are not soldiers. They have been told that it is their own fault that they were injured or that it was their parents fault that they were injured for not giving them the proper food to eat when they were kids. I have been told that the ssgts have refused to give the kids their night time medications and said it was because they were addicts. My daughter has been dealing this since 12/11. It's now 8/12 and she's no closer to coming home. So I believe I'll be making some calls to Ft Lewis to find out whats holding up her paperwork.

It's so sad to see others going through this. My daughter entered basic at Ft. Leonard Wood in May 2012. She began having pain in her groin and hip and was allowed to see a doctor on one occasion. They initially thought she had pulled a muscle, however she continued having pain. Her drill sergeant threatened that if she sought additional medical care, he would not graduate her. He apparently was scheduled for leave after basic and didn't want to be stuck at the base if my daughter became a holdover. Unbelievable! However, my daughter didn't share this info with me and continued to train. She graduated basic with top PT scores, even among her fellow male soldiers. She loved the Army, was so successful and planned to make a career of it. Two weeks into AIT, her new sergeants encouraged her to see a doctor. It turned out she had grade 4 stress fractures of the inferior pubic ramus bone. They immediately stopped her training and she ended up coming home for 30 days of con leave. We did our best to get the healing process going by doing some alternative medical treatment through a chiropractor. A month later, my daughter returned to the base as a holdover. Since then, she has been treated so poorly. She is either given duties which include heavy lifting and walking long distances, both of which aggravate her injury, or she is stuck in a room with all the other holdovers for 5 to 6 hours a day. They are not allowed to do anything; they aren't given any work to do; they can't write letters home or read a book; they can't speak to one another---they are just expected to sit and stare at the wall for hours on end. My daughter is someone that wants to be productive; this is driving her stir crazy. The sergeants constantly come into the room to yell and accuse them of sleeping or speaking to one another. They scream at my daughter when she doesn't move fast enough, even though they know she isn't supposed to run. The sergeants accuse her of faking her injury when their own doctors did an MRI and diagnosed the fractures. They treat all of the holdovers as if they are useless and unworthy of being soldiers. This, to my daughter who committed to putting her life on the line for our country and was at the top of her platoon in everything she did. She now regrets enlisting in the army and wants out. She has lost all motivation, feels hopeless & depressed and has lost sight of her dreams. Because she can't handle the nightmare of being a holdover, she doesn't even want to give herself the chance to med board out so that she'd at least have some medical benefits. There are other holdovers at the base that have been there for over a year. She is so desperate to leave that she plans on doing whatever it takes to get chaptered out. She will leave with nothing, not even the ability to state with pride that she was a part of the military.

I just finished speaking with my daughter and she was informed today by her physical therapist that he will not refer her for med board, because stress fractures will heal. He's right; they do heal but they also refracture easier and according to her doctor back home, her particular injury can result in further problems down the road. How can they not even give her the option of a med board when she was injured during active duty and could have further health problems in the future? It's not as if we're looking for monetary compensation, just the health benefits to cover any medical expenses. Does anyone know of what options she might have? Also, is this how all holdovers are treated? It's not right. If my daughter were treated with some dignity and given the opportunity to be productive in some way while healing, she'd stick it out and the army would have one hell of a soldier.

Unfortunately with experience I can tell you that the majority of those now responsible for your daughter will not treat her like she is human. When my daughter was a holdover under orders for no lifting or walking without her crutches they were moved from company to company and at times was on the 4th floor because that is where the girls were housed. so at every meal she had to walk up and down the stairs with 4th degree fractures on both sides. She also had to carry all her belongings from barracks to barracks. She was finally discharged by med board in October of 2011. She was given 6 months of Tricare and when she was examined by the VA in November the fracture in her hip was actually worse than the original MRI in April 2011. then they would not extend Tricare at the end of 6 months even though she was still not healed in March of 2012. I will say that there was another girl who was injured months before my daughter that finally graduated basic after 30 days con leave soon after she was injured and then about a year of healing as a holdover before she was sent back thru basic. It was nice to see her graduate but she went thru hell to get there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. If you email make sure you put PEB forum in the subject line.

What was the outcome of her PEB? Was she given disability separation pay? What did the VA rate the conditions?

Mike

All,
My daughter also endured grade 4 stress fractures at Fort Leonardwood about a year ago. She actually graduated BCT, but was held over due to the injury that worsened over time. She ended up having surgery (3 screws) placed in her right hip on 28 Nov 2011. She experienced many of the things mentioned in the above posts. Marching on crutches, eating last in the dining hall, violations of her medical profile (restrictions), mental anguish etc. They started her medical board at the urging of her surgeon at the army hospital. The board began in early Feb 2012 and she was released at the end of May.She received a 20% rating, received a severance check, 6 months of TRICARE and earned full college tuition through the VA (post 911 GI bill) due to her medical discharge and her line of duty condition. She did compensation and Pension at the VA and received a 0% disabilty rating. She will not get disabilty pay now, but in the future, she may qualify for a higher rating if her condition worsens over time. She will have lifetime medical care free of charge at the VA for her hip.
For this type of injury a medical discharge through a medical board is the best option for future care.

I am so glad I found this forum!
My husband has been At Fort Leonard wood for over a year now due to two stress fractures in his hips which happened during BCT. He was able to pass BCT but has been placed on Holdover status ever since which was after June of last year. He was placed on con leave in august of 2012 for 30 days to see if he would heal. But after his appointment in September of 2012 the Doctors found out that he would have to have surgery due to a birth defect in his hip where the stress fractures are. He was given Surgery in Jan of this year and was placed on con leave about three weeks later because his doctors ordered his DS to give it to him. He has been treated like crap for the pass year now because of all of this and he is now just being able to get a Med board done. The other soldiers and DS pick on him consistently and make him do heavy lifting all the time which has caused his hip to become displaced a few times. Not to mention he has type C strep now because of the sanitation issue the private have there. I would like know what I can do to help him? And how long will his med board process can take, so he can come home and properly heal?

We had a girl in Basic who tripped on stairs and broke her leg and went home. They drew up a contract that she would come back to fulfill her comittment within a year, after she was healed and medically cleared by the doctor.

We had a guy who purposely got hurt and broke his ankle, he was sent home and told not to return due to failure to adjust. He cried and cried for the first 3 days, when all we were doing was waiting in line to go to MPF and sign in to base.

I don't see how they would be able to do a MEB on her for broken bones. It's not permanent. It could and should heal normally. If she does get an MEB, she will most likely go to a Medical Unit on post and live there for a year. Until she was completely healed and does physical therapy and able to PT again. As ArmyWifeOwl said, she will be covered by the VA for any future problems and damage.

You might want to tell her also, although we completely understand why she would want to come home, she might not want to go around announcing she "just wants to get out" or "doesn't care about staying in the military" or "wishes she was home and doesn't care what happens to her military job" You think they won't give her con leave because of these things. You're probably right. They won't be mean to her, but military members might not be so eager to help someone who signed a contract and "doesn't care" about ful-filling their obligation and duty to their country. And they are probably worried she will go AWOL on her con leave, if she is expressing her unhappiness to everyone.

It's okay that she feels that way and that she si telling you. Just tell her to watch what she says to others. You know what the say about honey and bees. Good Luck!