Technical issues, new version of the forum software and problems

Jason Perry

Founder and Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
As many you noticed, the site was down altogether from last Friday until Monday or Tuesday.

What happened is a few things at the same time. Might be coincidence or the issues may have worked in concert to cause (or worsen) the problems.

My host, as of a few months ago, had changed the available server plans, and I "updgraded" to a new cpanel server. Well, after the upgrade, I started to get problems with memory usage in backing up the site. So, over a few weeks, it became clear that I needed to upgrade yet again. (Mind you, never had a problem like this before going back many years). So, I added more memory so the backups would happen on a rolling basis and uninterrupted. About this time, a long awaited new version of the forum software (Xenforo, which, if you are interested, can be found at www.xenforo.com ), was released. I waited a while and when people were generally posting good things about the software version, I tried to install. Well, it didn't work and the developers said it was a problem with the server. Back to the hosting company and they said that it seemed during the upgrade process, it was using a lot of resources. So, once again, a further upgrade was needed. Did that, and tried to re-install, and then the problems of last weekend occurred.
Working with the developers, it seems that an imperfect version is up now. It may take time to load pages, error messages might pop up. But, these problems might be specific on the internet connection (or a few other factors...still working on diagnosing and addressing things, but, it does seem that incrementally things are getting better).
Obviously, the goal is to have a better site and a better software. I am confident that things will get much better, but for now, your patience is appreciated.