TRICARE AND ACUPUNCTURE: PLEASE READ

Chinook

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
PLEASE READ AND SEND A LETTER TO TRICARE.

Please, we need everyone's assitance. Its time TRICARE approved the use of acupuncture as a treatment option for our military and family members.

If you like, you can search our forum and see how many people have been helped by acupuncture. But, it does cost out of pocket right now. Between $50-100 treatment. Its time acupuncture became a paid benefit.

I have been in contact with TRICARE officials and I have been told the following:

In the past, TRICARE didn't cover lap band procedures. However, because of the overwhelming requests and the proven medical success, they did start covering this procedure.

So, TRICARE reps have said to do the following:

Send a letter stating that you want TRICARE to cover acupuncture.

Say it however you want...but send the letter. For the cost of a stamp and a little bit of your time, you can help change someone's life for the better.

Send the letter to:

TRIWEST HEALTHCARE
CUSTOMER RELATIONS DEPT
PO BOX 42049
PHEONIX, AZ 85080

In addition to TRICARE, I have contacted several elected officials. TRICARE has asked that we give them the opportunity to respond before contacting more officials. So, I will wait for a little while and give TRICARE some time to process our requests.

If you know/have military families and friends, please forward them the address to TRICARE and ask them to send a letter to get the acupuncture approved as a benefit.

The following is a list of URL's containing info about the military and acupuncture:

1. Washington Times - Acupuncture moving to war zones
2. US Military tries 'battlefield' acupuncture to ease pain - Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine Forum

3. Nerdy Science Blog Blog Archive Combat Doctors Equipped With Acupuncture Skill

4. Acupuncture & the Military - wtop.com

5. Deploying Physicians to Use Acupuncture

6. Some vets exploring Chinese healing - Army News, opinions, editorials, news from Iraq, photos, reports - Army Times

7. Battlefield Acupuncture Introduced

8. Easing pain with acupuncture

If anyone has any questions, please let me know. Blog or send me a PM.

This is really significant to so many people. Your help is appreciated!!!

Thank you so much!!!

Chinook

ALRIGHT, I/WE NEED EVERYONE TO STILL WRITE TO TRICARE IF YOU HAVEN'T!

TRIWEST HEALTHCARE
CUSTOMER RELATIONS DEPT
PO BOX 42049
PHEONIX, AZ 85080

JUST SAY THAT YOU SUPPORT "WARRIORS FOR ACUPUNCTURE".

I/WE HAVE THE SUPPORT OF THE MILITARY PHYSICIANS WHO ARE NOW USING ACUPUNCTURE IN MILITARY HOSPITALS..I WANT TO SAY THOUGH-BEING OFFICERS THEY ARE NOT ALLOWED TO LOBBY IN ANY MATTER, BUT WE HAVE THEIR SUPPORT.

I HAVE CONTACTED SEVERAL ELECTED OFFICIALS OFFICES AND THEY ARE WORKING IT AND GETTING THE INFORMATION TO THE CORRECT AREAS OF LEGISLATION.

THIS WOULD ALLOW ANYONE / ANY FAMILY MEMBER UNDER TRICARE TO GET ACUPUNCTURE TREATMENT.

There are testamonials throughout our blogs that acupuncture worked but it was TOO EXPENSIVE. MY acupuncture treatments are less than what TRICARE paid for my water therapy....PAIN MEDICATION COSTS WOULD GO DOWN. RESULTS WOULD GO UP. PATIENTS COULD HAVE RELIEF. RELIEF AND SOME DISEASES ARE CURED PERMENANTLY.

PLEASE, I URGE YOU TO WRITE TRICARE. EVEN IF YOU DON'T NEED ACUPUNCTURE YOURSELF, THERE ARE SO MANY DOCUMENTED CASES OF TBI'S AND PTSD, AND INJURIES BEING TREATED BY ACUPUNCTURE-ITS WORKING. PLEASE GIVE WOUNDED WARRIORS AND FAMILY MEMBERS A CHOICE IN THEIR CARE.

If you have any questions: ask me here or email me at [email protected]

Thank you.

Chinook,

I have tweeted your thread to try to help get the word out about this issue. Let's hope there is some traction on getting funding for this!

The hospital where I am stationed offers acupuncture. I was referred to them but the doctor determined that I was not a candidate and would most likely not benefit from acupuncture. A friend of mine does go though.
Maybe its a trial?
I just thought I would throw that out there, It may help getting it Tricare approved if it is used in a MTF.

Jason, Thank you! Thank you. You are fabulous!

Robs, got it:).

kingkevindavid, thank you for your post. You're right, it's being used in many facilities and I have about 20 pages of reference of acupuncture being used in the military facilities and at forward bases. That is exactly the premise that I/we propose that TRICARE approves this on.
What is the facility that you use? And, forgive me for not looking this up..but what is your condition? I'm suprised they wouldn't give you the chance at acupuncture. Interesting.

To all, thanks for reading and for your support! Lets help eachother!

Hello Again Everyone!

My next adventure is putting together a package for TRICARE with actual cases of members using acupuncture to relive symptoms, reduce pain, swelling, etc. It may also be sent to elected officials.

You can stay anonymous and not give your name or you can put your name on your info.

I would like to know who has tried acupuncture and for what. Also, if it worked. Did you continue tx or not? And, if not, what was the reason.
Was cost a factor, if it was a covered benefit, would you have continued?

Also, for those of you who have NEVER tried acupuncture (at least not yet;)), would you try it if it was a covered benefit?

You can post here or privately to [email protected]

This is really important to a lot of us and we need all the support we can get. If you haven't already sent a letter requesting TRICARE to include acupuncture in their benefits, please help us out and do so. The address is below, Thank you.

TRIWEST HEALTHCARE
CUSTOMER RELATIONS DEPT
PO BOX 42049
PHEONIX, AZ 85080

RE: "WARRIORS FOR ACUPUNCTURE".

just bumping my own post for newbies to read and hopefully respond;).

Best of health to everyone!

Chinook,
I have not tried acupuncture (yet). However, I did find a great deal of relief from my massage therapist using acupressure techniques. I would try acupuncture if I could stand the thought of someone putting more needles into my hide! ;) I talked to a man in his 70s who swears by it for his back problems.

Hello golden-ang,

I love acupressure as well. :) I haven't had a massage in a while, but it is great therapy! I was doing that a lot before, and now I need to get the balance back between massage, acupuncture and my water therapy.

If you feel relief with the acupressure, I'd bet you'd love the acupuncture.

You know, I'm not fond of being stuck....being a medic, I'd much rather stick someone else than to be stuck;)..but its not that bad. Sometimes there are sensitive placements, like my knuckles or my head...but its so worth it for me. The most pain I have is when my Dr. does "cupping". The suction is really strong and it hurts SO bad for the first couple minutes..but after the entire session is over I feel so good. It really helps relieve the nerve pressure.

Its really awesome to hear of the older gentleman swearing by it...I sure swear by it right now! My life has changed dramatically with this back injury...but, I'm learning to live with it. Took me a long time to address that. I definately had denial. But you know, through acupuncture I have so much more mobility and longer periods of not hurting as much. I still hurt constantly, but its so different. I walk into my Dr.s office, hunched and in pain and I come out upright with less pain & better circulation.

If you are willing and believe that military and family members should have the right to choose alternative (acupuncture) care, I'd be very appreciative if you'd write TRICARE at the address posted and tell them just that.
Who would have ever thought that chiropractic care or lap band procedures would be covered??? We all have a voice and it matters.... and if you have the opportunity to pass the address to others that would be very helpful too!

Thanks for your post, its inspiring to see that the post is read. Keep up that acupressure and if you get the chance, try out the needles. Wishing you infinite health & wellness! ;)

Time again to share the TRICARE address with you all wonderful PEB Members...Since there are 4,000 of us, I can't see how TRICARE could refuse adding acupuncture to their covered benefits.

Remember how I mentioned that Lap Band procedure was added because people wrote in and requested it...now, how could 4,000 people need lap band surgery?

So PLEASE, type a quick note on Word, get out an envelope and please mail your letter supporting acupuncture as a covered benefit to:

TRIWEST HEALTHCARE
CUSTOMER RELATIONS DEPT
PO BOX 42049
PHEONIX, AZ 85080

RE: "WARRIORS FOR ACUPUNCTURE".

danke, gracias, merci, obrigado, and thank you!

UPDATED TRICARE AND ACUPUNCTURE INFO: PLEASE READ

Hello Everyone,

I'm back with some new info. Congressman Doug Lamborn's Office here in Colorado Springs just got back to me with a new address to initiate changes in Tricare Policy.

For those of you who are new-welcome to the forum! I'm sure you are all getting answers and the results you need to ensure your personal success through the DES (disability evaluation system) process. Jason and our moderators are the best!

I am still asking for everyone's support in making monumental change in TRICARE policy and military healthcare.

I am, with the support of everyone, pushing to have TRICARE cover services for acupuncture.

Even if you personally do not use or need acupuncture, I/we would appreciate your support so that service members and their families who do need it, can have the choice to use it and benefit from it.

PLEASE write just a little note that you would like to see acupuncture as an approved benefit....

SEND LETTER TO:

TRICARE MANAGEMENT ACTIVITY
SKYLINE 5, SUITE 810
5111 LEESBURG PIKE
FALLS CHURCH, VA
22041-3206

I have pages and pages of reference material that suggests the military is already using acupuncture to heal and reduce pain in our active duty military. There should be no reason TRICARE shouldn't allow it as a benefit to all who are entitled to TRICARE coverage. Let me know if you specifically want me to send you articles.

For those of you who have already sent articles to the other address we had, would you please send another to the above address. And for those of you reading this for the first time, please take the time and the expense of one stamp and one envelope to help initiate a change that can benefit so many.

WE WILL & ARE MAKING A DIFFERENCE. THANK YOU.

Felicia aka Chinook

Absolutely will do. And the military does do acupuncture on their soldiers. My husband had it done a few times to try to relieve pain in his abdominal area.

Soldierswife,

Thank you for you support! Thats fantastic that your husband is getting treatment or had treatment. May I ask which medical treatment facility are you at?
Also, please try to pass the address on to any TRICARE family that you know....we can make this happen! :)

Felicia

We are at Ft. Lewis and use Madigan. Unfortunately the treatment did not help my husband but he was sent for a "skin irritation" by an uninformed doctor for what was acutually a really bad scar on his stomach from surgery and later proved to be a hernia. He does believe it would have helped under different circumstances though so it would be nice to have it available to others as well.

I really appreciate the feedback, and I'm sorry to hear that the tx didn't work for your husband at this time. I sure hope he is getting some relief, some how.

Did they do the acupuncture there at Madigan?

soldierswife,

Excellent info, thank you. I am making a list of which medical centers are doing the acupuncture and to what extent.

By the way, did you hear anything back from TRICARE in regards to your letter? Any response from them at all?

I have a Dr. at Peterson who would love to see TRICARE cover acupuncture...its nice to hear that from a doc everyonce in a while; helps keep me motivated in the fight & reminds me that not ALL Drs are ignorant. ;)

Thanks again everyone for your support. If you haven't already, please help us get TRICARE to cover acupuncture as a benefit.

Please just jot a note to TRICARE that you request they cover acupuncture as a benefit.Thats it.

A note, envelope and a stamp. Send to

TRICARE MANAGEMENT ACTIVITY
SKYLINE 5, SUITE 810
5111 LEESBURG PIKE
FALLS CHURCH, VA
22041-3206

Your little deed will help so many!!! Thank you.

Chinook