Trying to Figure Retirement / VA Pay

Twiztid

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
I am trying to estimate my retirement pay / VA pay and am not sure how to calculate. Any assistance or direction would be greatly welcomed.

Details:
18+ yrs
E-7 / USAF
36 month avg pay = $3780
Took REDUX at 16 yrs
Expecting 30% from IPEB and 90% from VA (have spouse and 2 children under 18)
No concurrent receipt authorized

I am confused on what numbers to use for retirement percent and how my pay would be divided between the AF and the VA, if at all. Thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide!

With a medical retirement your redux is negated. If you are placed on TDRL, you receive 50% of base pay(high 36 average) while on TDRL. If 30% PDRL, you receive 30% of base pay(High 36 average). Since your VA pay is higher you will receive all your money tax free from VA instead of any DoD pay. Your VA pay is $1971.00.

Thanks pittpan! Much appreciated. I have been curious about this for some time, but only just now thought to present it to the forum.

Thanks pittpan! Much appreciated. I have been curious about this for some time, but only just now thought to present it to the forum.
It is the higher of the DOD% or your 18 years of service times 2.5%. So the lets say the DoD rated you at 30% and you regular retirement was 18 years times 2.5 which equals 45%. i am sorry this is not phrases properly, but you get the ghist.

My friend I have a question for you, if you can help me.
I just got retired from the Army, Im still waiting for ma letter of confirmation for my rating, and more then two week waiting for my VA ID card, do h you know some one or have a phone number that I can call.

Thank you
Respectfully
Hello.!!

It is the higher of the DOD% or your 18 years of service times 2.5%. So the lets say the DoD rated you at 30% and you regular retirement was 18 years times 2.5 which equals 45%. i am sorry this is not phrases properly, but you get the ghist.
Thanks again!

I just got retired from the Army, Im still waiting for ma letter of confirmation for my rating, and more then two week waiting for my VA ID card, do h you know some one or have a phone number that I can call.

Thank you
Respectfully
Hello.!!
Unfortunately, I am not able to assist, Hello.!!. I am USAF and have not yet reached the point of retirement. Hopefully that will come soon tho! Best of luck!

Thank you
Respectfully
Hello.!!

you may want to start a new tread, or do a search, there will be someone on this site that can assist you.

Revisiting this thread as I am curious if anyone can assist me in computing what final pay would be if I were to make it to 20 years. Using the numbers above in the original post, looking to see approximate retirement/va pay if retired at 20 years versus at 18.5 years. Many thanks once again for all the assistance!!

I am in the same boat currently 18 years in USAF and they are just now starting my MEB process. I am worried about all of this as well. Will post what I find out.

I am in the same boat currently 18 years in USAF and they are just now starting my MEB process. I am worried about all of this as well. Will post what I find out.

It is my understanding that getting to 20 years AD service time - getting to your 20 years and retiring at 20 years is a pretty GOLDEN and ideal military retirement situation.

If medically retired with 20 years AD service, you would be able to become immediately eligible for CRDP - meaning you would recieve BOTH your military retirement AND your VA compensation at the same time - without the off-set.

I also understand that the percentage of your military medical disability rating would also exempt that percentage of your total military retirement from federal taxation. Someone please chime in if this is incorrect! In other words, if you were given a 30% disability rating and had 20 years AD in, 30% of your retirement pay would not be taxed.

Even if I am not correct on that one piece of this, it is STILL very much to your military retirement advantage to cross that 20-year retirement line.

You get FULL CRDP immediately - especially if rated at 50% or higher.

And of course, all the other regular bennies given to a 20-year AD retiree - TRICARE for life, etc.

And your retirement would probably be permanent - no TDRL re-examinations where they can change your percentages and mess with you. PERMANENT!

Have you thought about the COAD program? Just something to research and know about - JUST IN CASE you get close to 20 years, but need a few months to get to the finish line.

Others will chime in here shortly and offer suggestions, input, maybe even some "How To's".

Sure hope you cross that finish line!!!

V/r,
nwlivewire

With a medical retirement your redux is negated. If you are placed on TDRL, you receive 50% of base pay(high 36 average) while on TDRL. If 30% PDRL, you receive 30% of base pay(High 36 average). Since your VA pay is higher you will receive all your money tax free from VA instead of any DoD pay. Your VA pay is $1971.00.

PittPann2005,
Do you happen to know if the REDUX is waived for members over 20? If so, can you site the regulation where this is written?

I am at 23 years and was found "unfit." Yesterday I went to discuss my VA ratings and was told by my PEBLO that I'll retire under the redux plan...I know I've read on here that if "medically retired" I wouldn't be bound by this, just can't find the regulation that says it so I can show it to my PEBLO. It only makes sense as I am not allowed to work my way back up to 50 or 75%. This will mean the difference between 47.5% or 57.5%. Thanks in advance.

PittPann2005,
Do you happen to know if the REDUX is waived for members over 20? If so, can you site the regulation where this is written?

I am at 23 years and was found "unfit." Yesterday I went to discuss my VA ratings and was told by my PEBLO that I'll retire under the redux plan...I know I've read on here that if "medically retired" I wouldn't be bound by this, just can't find the regulation that says it so I can show it to my PEBLO. It only makes sense as I am not allowed to work my way back up to 50 or 75%. This will mean the difference between 47.5% or 57.5%. Thanks in advance.

CrackedBack, go ahead and make a new thread that addresses your question. You will get a much better response and specific answers to your questions. We are trying to clean up threads where other members are posting questions not related to answering the OPs question. Thanks for your help.

Joe

Will do...but thought the flavor was the same. Retirement and REDUX is in this discussion...I'll figure this site out yet!!! :)