UNCHARACTERIZED DISCHARGED

anbritt

PEB Forum Regular Member
Hello...I have been lurking for a month now. I am a very concerned mom. My 19 year old daughter joined the Army on Aug 7th og 2008. She sucessfully completed BCT in Oct. From there it was on to Ft Huachuca. When she was in week 2 of BCT, she passed out, they said it was due to the heat. There were no more problems in that area. She did have a major problen with shin splints but pushed her way through and was fine. She passed out again while in formation at Ht Huachuca..again they said it was because of heat. In the mean time, it was determined that she have major hip problems because of continuing with basic with shin splints. The dr said she should have taken time off ( 30 day convo) They put her on profile ( no running, shanding, ect). Her profile was renewed in Dec..good until Jan 16 ( her 19th birthday). Anyhoo, after that, she went back to formations and passed out again. The bottom line is that they checked her heart and concluded that she had an irregular heart beat and deceded that she would be medically discharged. She said one of the first things that the dr asked is if there was anyt record anywhere of her receiving treatment for this before she went into the army. She told him no. That is the truth. This has never ever been an issue. The up shot is that she just returned him 4 days age and I an baffled by what her dd214 says. My dau is shocked becasue she was told she had an honorable discharge. I don't see it. She is now discouraged because she realizes she should havelistened to mama. Her dd214 says...served for 6 mo 28 days, discharged under AR 634-200 5-11, spc JFW, RE-3, BUT CHARACTERIZED AS..UNCHARACTERIZED? The narative says..failed medical standards. When I called the vet rep at DOL he told me that the ARMY does this alot way more than any other service, that she should apply for benefits anyway and allow the VA to make their own determination. He also said that she should get a VSO because they would know how to word the claim. We called the VA, the rep said that she was not eligible because of the characterization. We called the education rep who told us to apply because she has seen this many times before and has seen vets get their benefits anyway. I give all this info because I have a question. Are we just spinning our wheels? Where would we begin to find a VSO? The army told her to apply with the VA. Any ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

From the little sense I could make of your post, no offense it is just a little wordy and there are a lot of abbreviations I can't make sense of, it seems that your daughter received a general discharge. Can you simply put, free of any personal information, what the DD214 says exactly and also what the narrative and deciding party stated?

This is just a hunch but her conditions may have been classified as existing prior to service. Get back with more information and I'm sure there are plenty of people on this forum who can give you a better answer than myself.

[FONT=&quot]JFW- Failed Medical/Physical/Procurement Standards[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]AR 635-200 (5-11) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5–11. Separation of personnel who did not meet procurement medical fitness standards[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]a. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Soldiers who were not medically qualified under procurement medical fitness standards when accepted for enlistment or who became medically disqualified under these standards prior to entry on AD or ADT for initial entry training, may be separated. Such conditions must be discovered during the first 6 months of AD. Such findings will result in an entrance physical standards board. This board, which must be convened within the soldier’s first 6 months of AD, takes the place of the notification procedure (para 2–2) required for separation under this chapter.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]b. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Medical proceedings, regardless of the date completed, must establish that a medical condition was identified by an appropriate military medical authority within 6 months of the soldier’s initial entrance on AD for RA or during ADT for initial entry training for ARNGUS and USAR that—[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](1) Would have permanently or temporarily disqualified the soldier for entry into the military service or entry on AD or ADT for initial entry training had it been detected at that time.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](2) Does not disqualify the soldier for retention in the military service per AR 40–501, chapter 3. As an exception, soldiers with existed prior to service (EPTS) conditions of pregnancy or HIV infection (AR 600–110) will be separated.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]c. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]A soldier who is found after entry on active duty not to have been qualified under procurement medical fitness standards at the time of enlistment may request to be retained on active duty subject to the conditions listed below. Approval or disapproval of requests for retention under this paragraph is delegated to the separation authority cited in paragraph 1–19d. No soldier has a right to be retained under this paragraph. Soldiers not retained will be processed for separation. Soldiers will not be retained under this paragraph unless both conditions below are met:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](1) The separation authority cited in paragraph 1–19d determines, after considering the proceedings of an Entrance Physical Standards Board (see AR 40–400), that the soldier’s disqualifying condition will not prevent the soldier from performing satisfactorily throughout his/her period of enlistment in the MOS for which he/she is being trained or in another MOS based on the soldier’s medical condition.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](2) The soldier, after being counseled and given the opportunity to obtain legal advice, signs a statement requesting to complete the period of service for which enlisted.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]d. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The criteria in chapter 1, section VII, will govern whether the soldier will be released from AD, with transfer to the IRR, or discharged.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](1) In the case of an ARNGUS or USAR soldier found to be pregnant upon entry on IADT, the soldier will be released from active duty and returned to her ARNGUS or USAR unit for disposition in accordance with AR 135–91, paragraph 4–23.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](2) The soldier will be separated within 72 hours following approval by the separation authority. (See para 1–19. See para 1–11 for additional instructions on ARNGUS or USAR personnel.)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]e. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Soldiers who do not meet the medical fitness standards for retention will be processed per AR 635–40.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]f. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]This paragraph is not to be used in personality disorders cases, which will be processed per paragraph 5–13. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]g. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]For characterization of service or description of separation, see paragraph 5–1.[/FONT]
Hope this helps. You can look up AR 635-200 section 5-11.
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Go to Disabled American Veterans I have used the DAV for a while now and they have been great. There is also the American Legion and a few others as well. I currently work for the VA and know it is a complicated system. I would say that she qualifies for benefits to some degree. Keep trying and contact the DAV for help.