VA AWARD LETTER

smacinnes40

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Trying to get some idea of how many months lately has it taken for those to get their award letters from VA. I checked my ebenefits today and still states gathering info. I was medically retired on 21 March 2013.

I was proposed 100%

So right now its a waiting game.

nwlivewire

PEB Forum Veteran
Mine took 2 months 2 weeks from the day I was retired.
My took about 3 1/2 months. I had 16 issues from the VA for them to review.

My ratings % didnot change - still rec'd 100%. BUT, 4 issues that were originally rated at 0% were re-opened anfurther d are under review/examinations, etc.

The VA went ahead and "finalized" my claim at 100%, but pulled out 4 of my 0% rated conditions for further exam/evaluation.

I have not heard a word from them since about those four and it's been a year now.

V/r,
nwlivewire

usafaviator

PEB Forum Veteran
They deferred two of my conditions and finalized my ratings as well. For the two deferred conditions, they said (in the rating package) that they would schedule me for exams or, if I had the evidence they required, to mail it to them instead of the appointments. I had the supporting evidence for both conditions, so I sent it to them certified. Hopefully, that will suffice...I'm tired from 2+ years of poking and prodding.:(

spoof3r

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
So much for waiving my 15k VA funding fee. That sucks, but hey benefits are benefits! I'll take them regardless. Glad to see some are coming back in 2-3 months. Some guys waited like 6+ and I'm really hoping I don't get grouped with that bunch.

usafaviator

PEB Forum Veteran
So much for waiving my 15k VA funding fee. That sucks, but hey benefits are benefits! I'll take them regardless. Glad to see some are coming back in 2-3 months. Some guys waited like 6+ and I'm really hoping I don't get grouped with that bunch.
You can used your proposed ratings to get the VA funding fee waived. I did.

Combat Eng

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
15k funding fee?? You must be buying a mansion? the funding fee is 2% of your loan

usafaviator

PEB Forum Veteran
15k funding fee?? You must be buying a mansion? the funding fee is 2% of your loan
The funding fee increases each time you use it. I assume spoof3r has used the benefit a few times. The maximum loan that the VA will back is $440k for 2013 (unless you are buying in Hawaii or a few other higher cost areas).

spoof3r

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I'm in Colorado, so it's expensive. They only back up to $417K here. And I have used it before, so this time around I think it's like 3.2 or 3.7 or something. Either way it's ridiculous.

You can used your proposed ratings to get the VA funding fee waived. I did.
Woah, can you give me details or message me or something? I'd love to figure out how this one works. If I could get it waved that would be amazing. Originally going into it I didnt think too much about it and just figured once I got my DA199 that would mean I had ratings and would be good to go, but then I started doing some more research and realized you have to use the final award letter (so I've read...) so that kind of sucked.

Either way I can get it deducted from my principle once my award letter comes in, but if there is a way to not have to include it in my VA loan alltogether then I'm all for it!

usafaviator

PEB Forum Veteran
Woah, can you give me details or message me or something? I'd love to figure out how this one works. If I could get it waved that would be amazing. Originally going into it I didnt think too much about it and just figured once I got my DA199 that would mean I had ratings and would be good to go, but then I started doing some more research and realized you have to use the final award letter (so I've read...) so that kind of sucked.

Either way I can get it deducted from my principle once my award letter comes in, but if there is a way to not have to include it in my VA loan alltogether then I'm all for it!
Remember that you are permitted to include any weatherization/energy saving improvements into a VA backed loan. If the house your moving to needs new windows, ac unit, insulation, etc., you can get funded for it (to a certain $ limit). I have contact/fax and form numbers for getting the fee waived with your proposed ratings- but I won't post them here because they are direct to certain individuals. PM me and I'll get the details to you.

Combat Eng

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Remember that you are permitted to include any weatherization/energy saving improvements into a VA backed loan. If the house your moving to needs new windows, ac unit, insulation, etc., you can get funded for it (to a certain $ limit). I have contact/fax and form numbers for getting the fee waived with your proposed ratings- but I won't post them here because they are direct to certain individuals. PM me and I'll get the details to you.
I'm in Colorado, so it's expensive. They only back up to $417K here. And I have used it before, so this time around I think it's like 3.2 or 3.7 or something. Either way it's ridiculous.

You could also request your COE through ebenefits and fax a copy of your proposed ratings to the Atlanta RO that handles the VA home loans

My mortgage company is based in Colorado

Loco Moco

PEB Forum Veteran
Can you get your funding fee back if you already paid it? I just refinanced my house and paid the funding fee. I have my proposed ratings letter. I didn't know I could have used them until reading the thread.

Loco Moco

PEB Forum Veteran
As long as your ratings were proposed prior to your refinance, you can be refunded the fee.
Thank you for the feedback...yes, I got the proposed ratings prior to my refinance. Do you know if I have to go through the VA Regional Office or the Lender?

Warrior644

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
As long as your ratings were proposed prior to your refinance, you can be refunded the fee.
Wow! Good information, but it's too late for me to use in order to maximize the benefits. :(

Thus, it's a validated case-in-point for all others in that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer." :D

Best Wishes!

jsa1974

PEB Forum Veteran
Trying to get some idea of how many months lately has it taken for those to get their award letters from VA. I checked my ebenefits today and still states gathering info. I was medically retired on 21 March 2013.

I was proposed 100%

So right now its a waiting game.
I'm on my 6th month waiting for Seattle to finalize.

Stebee83

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I'm on my 6th month waiting for Seattle to finalize.
I seperated on 31 March, and my claim was completed by 11 April... I thought that might of been a bit too quick, so after receiving my package in the mail, I was right. They just re-activated my old award from 2007 when I ETS'ed, and didn't bother formalizing and adding the percentages from my recent MEB. Fun stuff.

smacinnes40

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Thanks for all the feedback, I hope mine does not have any hickups, only been a month so far. My ebenefits never changed. They told me its in the development stage. So a waiting game again. My proposed was 100 percent as well.