Va/retirement pay help

S_a_p_p_e_r_s

Registered Member
Please group help me understand! I have been in the army for 12 years. I have been found unfit and am being medically retired. I have be placed on TDRL. I have been awarded 70% from ARMY fOR combat related PTSD. And 80% from va equaling 1478.00! 9 different people have told me 90different things! So I have turned to here! I know about crsc. What I am trying to understand is, is the 1478. What I get or does DOD pay some thing as well??

You cannot get both amounts from DoD and Va. You have to choose which amount you want to get from either the army or Va. The only way you can get some back is through CRSC. In your case, your retirement amount should be greater than the Va's in which case you can elect to just receive your retirement check. Its combat related and you will not be taxed for it, which is one of the advantages of taking VA over retirement most of the time, the tax free exemption. Or you can elect to get a portion of both, meaning that if your retirement is 2400 and va is 1478, then you would get the whole 1478 from VA and only 922 from your retirement. Hope this helps.

Good answer, But i was told today that if the dod % is 50 or more u get both because is the equivalent of 20yrs!!! any input on this anybody??? or is the va rep high as a kite!!!!

I'm giving you a link to a site which explains it pretty well. In brief, you apply for CRSC. It is not automatic. And the military service is not bound by the findings of your PEB. However, I would say that if you were in combat and have PTSD, you'll get full CRSC. So what does that mean? You still waive your military retired pay for the tax free VA disability. The military then sends you a separate check for the amount of CRSC. If you have sufficient retired pay to waive $1.478 for your VA disability, you'll get the $1,478 from the VA and $1.478 from the military. You get both.

Your VA rep is high as a kite :p, there is no such thing as equivalent of 20 yrs, either you have them or you don't, period. I was put on TDRL at 12 yrs 9 months 80% DoD, 90% VA. My dod retirement was about 2400 a month. VA, i was eligible to receive 1900 and some change but I could not get both amounts because I was retired with less than 20yrs. I had to waive the 1900 from my retirement check and so got 2 checks, VA for 1900 and DoD for 500. When I applied for CRSC, I was only eligible for 60 a month. So, it is possible to receive a check from both agencies, just not the whole amounts. Currently, I am still rated at 80% from DoD, and 100% VA. So now I only receive a check from the VA now which is more than my retirement and my Crsc amount went up to about 300 a month. Feel free to send me a message if you need me to explain it some more.