Voc Rehab Apprenticeships

THolleyH46

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
I applied for Voc Rehab again. The last time I applied they wanted to put me on a ILP.

Since then I have gone to school and used my Post 9/11 GI Bill and got my aircraft mechanics license.

But nobody wants to hire a mechanic with no experience so I want to see if they can set me up with an apprenticeship, on the job training or non paid work experience.

Anybody ever had any luck with that or have any advice. I just applied today so it will probably be a while before I get an appointment.

I went to see my Voc Rehab counselor today and she said I can try going back to work with a 100% permanent and total rating for a mental disorder.

She told me I would not lose my rating. She said the VA has already decided my condition is permanent and if I am stable I can try working. She is going to consider me for a non paid work experience trial.

I have heard the contrary here but have never seen it in writing from the VA

Is this bad advice?

Not bad advice. You will not lose your rating if you are 100% P&T. A NPWE trial is the best course of action right now. You can gain work experience and get paid a stipend if you qualify.

I didn’t get a non paid work experience. My Voc Rehab counselor signed me up for a 3 month plan to help find a job from what I gathered. So far no leads. I don’t know if I get subsistence allowance during these three months or not but I hope they can at least get me some job leads.

She said she sent my resume to the VA hospital and Social Security and maybe they would call me. But so far I haven’t heard anything

I didn’t get a non paid work experience. My Voc Rehab counselor signed me up for a 3 month plan to help find a job from what I gathered. So far no leads. I don’t know if I get subsistence allowance during these three months or not but I hope they can at least get me some job leads.

She said she sent my resume to the VA hospital and Social Security and maybe they would call me. But so far I haven’t heard anything

Ask her to connect you with the NPWE representative for the region. They should invite you to an orientation, then have you do a 2 week job skills training class (you get Stipend) and from there potentially you may get an internship offer.