10% for chrondimalacia of the patellar

Marshal

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I received 10% for chondromalacia patellar, and had knee surgery which helped, but now the VA wants to take the 10 % away. I spoke with my orthopedic surgeon and gave him the 10 page DBQ. He was surprised at the amount of information the VA wanted to fill out in order to fill out the DBQ.

Has anyone had any luck keeping their rating based on the results of the DBQ? or should I prepare for the worst?

the dbq statement specified 128/140 range of motion. the DAV rep said this wasn't enough to justify keeping the 10% rating and she didn't want to submit a reconsideration because it would only make the situation worse. she said if I wanted to submit a reconsideration on my own, that was my choice. the other reason specified in the proposed rating letter was that I did not show any instability in my knee, which is confirmed in the DBQ.

I wonder if there is other information in the DBQ which may influence a reversal of the va decision to reduce the rating from 10% to 0%.

Her defeatist attitude is moderately disconcerting to me.

Pain on motion? That's a 10%. If no pain and good range of motion, and no instability, you need to come up with evidence to justify the 10%.

http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/kneeandleg.html

May help you understand what evidence they need. I'm kinda with the DAV, why submit a request for an increase when the evidence doesn't support it? /shrug, the goal of the surgery was to fix your knee, can't be too upset about it doing just that.

Yeah, gotta agree here. If the VA was willing, and it would do anything, I would have them operate on my knee and hip today but they said that chances are... its the crohns or the remicade causing arthritic pains and inflammation.

I received 10% for chondromalacia patellar, and had knee surgery which helped, but now the VA wants to take the 10 % away.
Compensation is given for loss of earning capability. Since you say the surgery helped it seams reasonable that the compensation would be reduced.

Compensation is given for loss of earning capability. Since you say the surgery helped it seams reasonable that the compensation would be reduced.

Indeed, this is an accurate statement since the DoVA D-RAS doesn't provide disability compensation ratings for medical surgeries or medical procedures unless there exist residual "chronic" medical conditions and/or symptomatologies as a direct result!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Too true... Much like my stuff. Before the surgery... I would have been at 30% for my ruptured hemorrhoid, fissures, and fistula. I am at 10% now. I would rather be at 0%, no pain, no nothing. I am trying to convince my GI to send me to a colorectal surgeon to remove an irritated flap. If it is a success, my pain should be lessened and it will be back at 0%. If it goes bad... it could bring me to 60%.