100% PDRL, 100%S-1 VA, Over 20 years AFS

Saint Loonatick

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I have read many of the posts here are and while I believe I am convinced with the information contained within these posts I am receiving different information from the Installation Retirements and Separations Office.

1. I have received my PDIR with 100% PDRL.
2. I have received my proposed VA Ratings with 100% plus SMC S-1
3. I have 22 years AFS.

After reading these posts I see that I will be entitled to CRDP at 55% which will be my LOS upon separating Chapter 61 on November 26th hitting the retired rolls the next day.

I have been told on two separate occasions I will receive 75% of my Basic Pay as a Major, AND full VA.

I believe this might be true in the beginning, but I also believe that eventually the two agencies/systems will "talk" and that 75% will be reduced to 55%.

Which is true? Am I missing something or some special rule somewhere or is the Installation Retirements and Separations incorrect?

Thanks!!

Prepare to have your mind blown by our very own @RonG and his amazing CRDP calculator skillz to pay the literal billz.

Will return around 1300 hrs...central time.

I remember reading somewhere on this forum that there is updated guidance in some law or something, that says it’s no longer LOS or the disability percentage...it’s now your LOS only

I remember reading somewhere on this forum that there is updated guidance in some law or something, that says it’s no longer LOS or the disability percentage...it’s now your LOS only

Retired pay.

If you are retired for disability, AND also have also met the length of service retirement eligibility , one can still receive the higher of the two, In fact, the same applies to those with less than 20 years AD or equivalent; however, the DoD disability percentage is usually higher for those personnel. The retired pay for disability retirees is reduced by the amount of VA compensation received.

You might have confused the computation of CRDP with the info above. CRDP can never be more than the longevity portion of retired pay. That is not new.

CRDP restores waived retired/reduced retired pay.

Ron

I have read many of the posts here are and while I believe I am convinced with the information contained within these posts I am receiving different information from the Installation Retirements and Separations Office.

3. I have 22 years AFS.

After reading these posts I see that I will be entitled to CRDP at 55% which will be my LOS upon separating Chapter 61 on November 26th hitting the retired rolls the next day.

I have been told on two separate occasions I will receive 75% of my Basic Pay as a Major, AND full VA. [And...your retired pay will be reduced by the amount of your VA compensation; see my reply below. RonG, Mod]

I believe this might be true in the beginning, but I also believe that eventually the two agencies/systems will "talk" and that 75% will be reduced to 55%. [I suppose it could be looked at that way; however, see my explanation below. RonG Mod]

Which is true? Am I missing something or some special rule somewhere or is the Installation Retirements and Separations incorrect?

Thanks!!
Hello,

Sorry, I was at the office of a physican earlier today and had only my phone.

Info still needed *:

a. *What is your average high three base pay for retirement? The high three is the total of your 36 highest months of base pay divided by 36.

b. *Also need the category, number, and ages (for children only) for your dependents.

c. * Are your 22 years service Active Duty? You mentioned you have 22 years AFS. Just for clarification, I infer that is 22 years Active Duty or Active Duty Equivalent.
If your 22 years is reserve time, *your active duty equivalent is needed. (total points/360) x 0.025 = multiplier for reservist longevity; (average high 3 x multiplier) = reserve longevity amount

General info.

d. Your retired pay will be (average high three x 0.75) = disability retirement pay Your retired pay will be reduced by the amount of VA compensation.

e. CRDP will restore waived retired pay @ 55% (if my inference above was correct) x high three.

f. Yet to be determined via computation: Whether you have residual retired pay remaining after the reduction at item "d"

g. Your CRDP plus residual retired pay cannot exceed the amount of the longevity portion of retired pay.

Ron

Hello,

Sorry, I was at the office of a physican earlier today and had only my phone.

Info still needed *:

a. *What is your average high three base pay for retirement? The high three is the total of your 36 highest months of base pay divided by 36.

b. *Also need the category, number, and ages (for children only) for your dependents.

c. * Are your 22 years service Active Duty? You mentioned you have 22 years AFS. Just for clarification, I infer that is 22 years Active Duty or Active Duty Equivalent.
If your 22 years is reserve time, *your active duty equivalent is needed. (total points/360) x 0.025 = multiplier for reservist longevity; (average high 3 x multiplier) = reserve longevity amount

General info.

d. Your retired pay will be (average high three x 0.75) = disability retirement pay Your retired pay will be reduced by the amount of VA compensation.

e. CRDP will restore waived retired pay @ 55% (if my inference above was correct) x high three.

f. Yet to be determined via computation: Whether you have residual retired pay remaining after the reduction at item "d"

g. Your CRDP plus residual retired pay cannot exceed the amount of the longevity portion of retired pay.

Ron

a. High three average $7,846

b. Category? Married. One child, age 7.

c. 22 years Active Duty, yes. Not Reserve.

a. High three average $7,846

b. Category? Married. One child, age 7.

c. 22 years Active Duty, yes. Not Reserve.
Thank you...

Case.

3. I have 22 years AFS.
4. High three average $7,846
5. Category? Married. One child, age 7.
6. 22 years Active Duty, yes. Not Reserve.

Estimate.

A. (7846 x 0.75) = 5884.50 retired pay
B. VA comp, SMC S-1, Spouse and 1 child under 18 = $3,717.18 (in place of 100% scheduler)
C. (5884.50 - 3717.18) = 2167.32 residual retired pay
D. (22 AD x 0.025) x (7846) = 4315.30 longevity portion of retired pay
E. (4315.30 Longevity - 2167.32 residual) = 2147.98 CRDP (which is retired pay itself)
F. Amount received each month from DFAS: (2147.98 + 2167.32) = 4315.30 longevity portion of retired pay
G. Amount from VA each month: 3717.18

You end up with your longevity retirement amount plus VA comp (SMC-S)

Ron

Edited to add:

DoD 7000.14-R Financial Management Regulation Volume 7B, Chapter 64

6404 MONTHLY PAYMENT AMOUNT Subject to the provisions of paragraphs 640401 and 640402, the monthly amount of retired pay restored under CRDP will be the amount of the offset imposed by receipt of VA disability compensation. 640401. Special Rule for Disability Retirement Members retired for disability under 10 U.S.C., Chapter 61, §§ 1201 through 1222 remain subject to the offset required under 38 U.S.C. §§ 5304 and 5305 for any retired pay they receive that is in excess of the amount of retired pay to which they would be entitled under any other provision of law based on service in the Uniformed Services, had they not retired for disability. Since retired pay in excess of the amount calculated for years in service is still subject to offset under the CRDP program, a member with an amount of retired pay remaining after offset of VA disability compensation, that is greater than the amount calculated for years of service, is not eligible for any increase in payment of retired pay under the CRDP program.

Thank you...

Case.

3. I have 22 years AFS.

Estimate.

B. VA comp, SMC S-1, Spouse and 1 child under 18 = $3,717.18 (in place of 100% scheduler)
E. (4315.30 Longevity - 2167.32 residual) = 2147.98 CRDP (which is retired pay itself)
F. Amount received each month from DFAS: (2147.98 + 2167.32) = 4315.30 longevity portion of retired pay

Ron

Edited to add:

6404 MONTHLY PAYMENT AMOUNT Subject to the provisions of paragraphs 640401 and 640402, the monthly amount of retired pay restored under CRDP will be the amount of the offset imposed by receipt of VA disability compensation. 640401. Special Rule for Disability Retirement Members retired for disability under 10 U.S.C., Chapter 61, §§ 1201 through 1222 remain subject to the offset required under 38 U.S.C. §§ 5304 and 5305 for any retired pay they receive that is in excess of the amount of retired pay to which they would be entitled under any other provision of law based on service in the Uniformed Services, had they not retired for disability. Since retired pay in excess of the amount calculated for years in service is still subject to offset under the CRDP program, a member with an amount of retired pay remaining after offset of VA disability compensation, that is greater than the amount calculated for years of service, is not eligible for any increase in payment of retired pay under the CRDP program.
Thanks Ron. I had suspected this site/forum/thread/post - but more specifically from you - was correct - and not some clown from Rets & Seps. Thanks‼️

Glad to help...

Thank you for your kind words.

Ron

$8000 a month for the rest of your life. Don't waste a minute brother. Go and enjoy life and your family.

Thank you...

Case.

3. I have 22 years AFS.

Estimate.

Ron

Edited to add:

Ron,
What would his RAS show for SBP cost in this scenario? It should be based off of item A and pay out $3236.47 to the spouse, right?

Ron,
What would his RAS show for SBP cost in this scenario? It should be based off of item A and pay out $3236.47 to the spouse, right?
Hello,

Sorry...I know nothing about the SBP except my former wife and I chose to not participate in the program.

DFAS provides cost info at ---->this LINK.

An SBP overview ---> is at this LINK.

The highest your SBP can be is 55 percent of your retirement pay.

Ron