100% VA rating and free college

cld6gc

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I recently was awarded 100% VA rating. Talking with another vet was told at 100% total and permanent VA rating my spouse and kids could go to college for free. I did some research and found that Chapter 35 does talk about this but is not very clear. My kids are two and 5 months so college is long off but would like some clarity on if this would be an option for my wife and kids college.

Thank you

It's usually a state program. Google "veteran benefits (your state)" and check the state website. I live in Indiana and it's free if greater than 80%, less than 80, it's 20% plus your disability rating. There are usually some requirements like live in the state when called to duty, etc. There are also tax benefits, car plates, and other bene's you can get from the state.

I believe the time limit is 10 years. I cannot find out more information about this right now. I did find the below:

Changes to Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance

The new law decreases the amount of entitlement that new eligible individuals will receive under the Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA) program from 45 months to 36 months. This change applies to individuals who first enroll in programs of education on or after August 1, 2018. Individuals who first enrolled in a program of education prior to August 1, 2018, would still qualify for a maximum of 45 months of entitlement.

This law also increases the amount of educational assistance payable for pursuit of institutional courses and institutional courses under the Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program. An eligible person will be entitled to a monthly allowance of $1,224 for full-time coursework, $967 for three-quarter time, and $710 for half-time coursework. The increases were effective October 1, 2018.

Educational Assistance Allowance for trainees under the Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35 of title 38, U.S.C.). The following basic monthly rates are effective October 1, 2018.
Institutional Training
Training Time
Monthly rate
Full time$1,224.00
¾ time$967.00
½ time$710.00
less than ½ time and more than ¼ time$710.00 *
¼ time or less$306.00 *

I believe the time limit is 10 years. I cannot find out more information about this right now. I did find the below:

Changes to Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance

The new law decreases the amount of entitlement that new eligible individuals will receive under the Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA) program from 45 months to 36 months. This change applies to individuals who first enroll in programs of education on or after August 1, 2018. Individuals who first enrolled in a program of education prior to August 1, 2018, would still qualify for a maximum of 45 months of entitlement.

This law also increases the amount of educational assistance payable for pursuit of institutional courses and institutional courses under the Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program. An eligible person will be entitled to a monthly allowance of $1,224 for full-time coursework, $967 for three-quarter time, and $710 for half-time coursework. The increases were effective October 1, 2018.

Educational Assistance Allowance for trainees under the Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35 of title 38, U.S.C.). The following basic monthly rates are effective October 1, 2018.
Institutional Training
Training TimeMonthly rate
Full time$1,224.00
¾ time$967.00
½ time$710.00
less than ½ time and more than ¼ time$710.00 *
¼ time or less$306.00 *
Thank you for the information