1405 Time Calculations "After" 20 AFS

brianmatt31

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hi Y'all. Just in talking with my HRO this week I was thinking that with my extra 1405 active time that they calculated for me from my RPAM statement, that I can take that time and add to my current AFS in order to see what I needed to get to 20 AFS. BUT that time (1405 Time) does not, I say again, does not count toward our 20 AFS until we actually reach 20 AFS first, then HRO/DRAS will add that time to those 20 AFS. I was under the impression that my 1405 is counted, TIME NOW, toward me getting 20 AFS in but HRO said they have seen DFAS recouping Soldiers pay that had the 1405 Time calculated in their AFS without that Soldier getting the full, straight, period of 20 AFS first. One example they told me was a Soldier that went through the IDES, had 16 AFS but had 5 extra years of AFS. This Soldier retired out medically and began drawing Concurrent as well. When DFAS did an audit they caught that somehow.

So I guess this is correct? I don't know but I trust my HRO as I've served with each of them. Still not sure why that wouldn't count within the current tour but.... Instead of thinking I was hitting 18 AFS this September and start a Terminal Duty assignment in Sep 2019, then retire out Sep 2020 with 20 AFS.. lol. I know, if I don't medically retire, will have to go to 2022 in order to get my 20 AFS then they'll tack on the 1405 Time which will put me at about 2.5% more.

If anyone knows something different please share.

This is from an AGR publication:

1405 Time
– IDT points earned while a member of
the Reserve Component that is used to increase
the multiplier of a Regular retirement.

May only be used AFTER acquiring 20 years of
active service

Will not be used to create 20 years of active
service, except for disability retirements.*

Points cannot exceed maximum IDT points
allowed or 365/366 points total for the retirement
year

Reference: https://www.nj.gov/military/hro/agr/docs/ARNG AGR Retirement brief cdn Jan 13.pdf

See the following for additional info:
DoD 7000.14-R Financial Management Regulation Volume 7B, Chapter 1

Service Creditable for Disability Retirement (Table 1-3)
B.
A member who is not a member of a Regular Component of the Armed
Forces is credited with service calculated as the sum of subparagraphs 010307.B.1 through 010307.B.3, and divided by 360...

Ref: https://comptroller.defense.gov/Portals/45/documents/fmr/Volume_07b.pdf#page=8&zoom=auto,-13,274

*Bottom Line: Recommend you follow the guidance of your Human Resources Command and request the explicit authority by which they make their determination. I find DoD 7000.14-R difficult reading...

Good luck,
Ron

Oh nice Sir!!!! I’ll definitely follow up with them on this. Thank you!

This is from an AGR publication:

1405 Time
– IDT points earned while a member of
the Reserve Component that is used to increase
the multiplier of a Regular retirement.

May only be used AFTER acquiring 20 years of
active service

Will not be used to create 20 years of active
service, except for disability retirements.*

Points cannot exceed maximum IDT points
allowed or 365/366 points total for the retirement
year

Reference: https://www.nj.gov/military/hro/agr/docs/ARNG AGR Retirement brief cdn Jan 13.pdf

See the following for additional info:
DoD 7000.14-R Financial Management Regulation Volume 7B, Chapter 1

Service Creditable for Disability Retirement (Table 1-3)
B.
A member who is not a member of a Regular Component of the Armed
Forces is credited with service calculated as the sum of subparagraphs 010307.B.1 through 010307.B.3, and divided by 360...

Ref: https://comptroller.defense.gov/Portals/45/documents/fmr/Volume_07b.pdf#page=8&zoom=auto,-13,274

*Bottom Line: Recommend you follow the guidance of your Human Resources Command and request the explicit authority by which they make their determination. I find DoD 7000.14-R difficult reading...

Good luck,
Ron
is this applicable to the Air National Guard as well AGR's as well?

A year ago, I mentioned: *Bottom Line: Recommend you follow the guidance of your Human Resources Command and request the explicit authority by which they make their determination."

Title 32 ls the legal status of Air National Guard.

Federal authority over National Guard members falls under Title 32 of the U.S. Code. This is considered federal active duty for specific state missions and full-time Guard positions. This type of state-level activation is guided by state laws and policies but it is funded by the federal government after approval from the president. This typically happens with large-scale, state-related missions; major natural disasters for example. The governor is the boss even though the state mission is sanctioned and funded by the federal government.

It is my understanding that reserve/NG retired pay is computed as described at
This LINK <----

Recommend you visit with your Human Resources Command (Personnel) for a complete explanation.
My only experience in computing pay for reserve/NG involves the conversion of total points/360 = Active Duty Equivalent
Also...20 good years is required for a reserve retirement plus the age requirement must be met.

CH 61 retirees could retire with less time that what is described above.

Ron