15 YEAR RETIREMENT?

bobcollier100

PEB Forum Regular Member
I’m in the IDES system, and was wondering I have 14.4 years active with over 16 good years from the guard, now if I’m offered let’s say 30 percent from the DoD and 90 percent from the VA will I be able to just take the 15 year retirement in lieu of the 30 percent the DoD offered?

Also if I am offered let’s say 30 percent from the DoD and 90 percent from the VA, do I get a choice on which retirement I would get?

You could request your LOS retirement over disability retirement. I have read some cases that were appealed to Board for Corrections because service members were placed on TDRL and later re-evaluated and reduced to below 30% and then received severance instead of the LOS retirement. (They were told that later they could take LOS over disability retirement, but had to appeal to get it) Others with legal background could give you better advice on this, but I would just keep in mind that if placed on TDRL and there is a strong possibility of later being rated below 30% it might be most advantageous to take LOS retirement. Also, it opens up the CRSC and CRDP subjects. Look into them and see the benefits. Also, coming from guard, find out about LOS retirement kicking in now or at age 60(?). You need to find what is most advantageous for you. Also, is 30-50% medical retirement going to be higher or lower than VA compensation? Is anything combat related? Is LOS retirement higher or lower than VA compensation as well?

What kind of 15 year retirement are you talking about? TERA or 12731b? The 12731B would not pay until age 60. Disability retirement and TERA retiremeent would patt right away.

Mike

What kind of 15 year retirement are you talking about? TERA or 12731b? The 12731B would not pay until age 60. Disability retirement and TERA retiremeent would patt right away.

Mike

Well I'm 53 years old so I was thinking take the 15 year retirement at (5195 points) and just accept the VA,
findings: Vertigo/ Bilateral mild sensorineural hearing loss/ Bilateral constant tinnitus/ fibromyalgia/ED/hypertension/degenerative arthritis of thoracoumbar spine (with decrease ROM)/ status post cervical fusion with strain (with decrease ROM)/status post I&D facial cyst/status post debridement cyst left long finger/obstructive sleep apnea/onychomycosis great toenails/ migraine headaches/ degenerative arthritis of bilateral knees (with decrease ROM)/ vasovagal syndrome/ scars do to surgery at neck, finger/ I was already rated by the VA from prior service in 1997 for chondromalacia of left and right knees.

You could request your LOS retirement over disability retirement. I have read some cases that were appealed to Board for Corrections because service members were placed on TDRL and later re-evaluated and reduced to below 30% and then received severance instead of the LOS retirement. (They were told that later they could take LOS over disability retirement, but had to appeal to get it) Others with legal background could give you better advice on this, but I would just keep in mind that if placed on TDRL and there is a strong possibility of later being rated below 30% it might be most advantageous to take LOS retirement. Also, it opens up the CRSC and CRDP subjects. Look into them and see the benefits. Also, coming from guard, find out about LOS retirement kicking in now or at age 60(?). You need to find what is most advantageous for you. Also, is 30-50% medical retirement going to be higher or lower than VA compensation? Is anything combat related? Is LOS retirement higher or lower than VA compensation as well?

I'm thinking I will probably get about 50% from the DoD, and it looks like 80-100% from VA? (see my list of ailments on maparker's post), I'm 53 been in Marines, Army, and now AGR AFANG, Well I was in Iraq in 2007 but didn't get shut down with my nero problems until may 2010, I was a bomb builder for the F-16's and did report some of the symptoms I'm now having then while I was still in IRAQ. I had bronchitis and pus coming out from under my toenails while in IRAQ, and was in very close proximity to the burn pits, In my NARSUM it states that i struck my head while running from mortar fire, but I doubt they will allow me to claim that.