19 Year Possible MEB

Strangert

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Background: I previously posted a possible MEB 6 months ago. A couple of things have changed. I hit my 19 year mark yesterday, however I can’t hit the retirement button until February as I’m under a service commitment. I’ve had migraines for the past two years and my treatment is Aimovig and Botox.

Six months have passed and three months ago I started having issues with syncope, I’ve randomly passed out. 7 times specifically, admitted into the hospital twice And once two weeks ago. The neurologist thinks I have Dysautonomia and placed my on Beta-Blockers with the consent of my Cardiologist. They did discover that my ejection fraction ranges from 45-50% which is low for a 37 year old male. I have a Heart MRI in January with a follow in May. The doctor doesn’t seemed worried about my ejection fraction but other doctors have. I intend to get a second opinion once the MRI is complete.

I know have a case manager on base and she submitted me for a DAWG review due to my migraine medicine, specifically the Aimovig. I went to my neurologist this week and had him take me off of it.

I called my local PEBLO to get some information. And she stated that if they did MEB me that I’d the DOD rating came back at say 70% I would still only get 50% if I made it over 20 years. I’ve read the complete opposite on this forum so I’m a little confused. She said she was going to speak with my PCM and ask them to leave me alone as I plan on retiring. She also said you can’t appeal your to the SECAF anymore so I’m worried about not making it to 20z. We’ll see what happens. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Re: "I called my local PEBLO to get some information. And she stated that if they did MEB me that I’d the DOD rating came back at say 70% I would still only get 50% if I made it over 20 years. I’ve read the complete opposite on this forum so I’m a little confused. She said she was going to speak with my PCM and ask them to leave me alone as I plan on retiring. She also said you can’t appeal your to the SECAF anymore so I’m worried about not making it to 20z. We’ll see what happens. Anybody have any thoughts on this?"

Yes.

1. Your disability retired pay would be the result of 70% x average high three base pay.
2. That retired pay would be reduced by the amount of the VA compensation.
3. The longevity portion of your retired pay would be Active Duty Years, 20 x 0.025 = 50% x high three = longevity portion of retired pay
4. CRDP would restore only the longevity portion of the retired pay you waived for VA compensation.
5. The combination of residual retired pay (see item 2) if any, plus CRDP could not exceed the longevity portion of retirement (see item 3).

The info above is based on the assumption you will complete 20 years active duty.

Ron

edited to add:
High three: total of highest 36 months of basic pay divided by 36.

Copy, what is my best option. Push for them to not MEB me or ask them to go ahead and do it?

Copy, what is my best option. Push for them to not MEB me or ask them to go ahead and do it?
It would be best someone else answer that particular question. I had a regular retirement in 1991.

I can offer that achieving your 20 years of active duty (and qualifying for CRDP) could be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars over your lifetime.

There are people who receive a medical retirement, but also qualify for CRDP because they completed 20 years active duty (not to be confused with 20 good years).

Ron

Strangert
Are you saying that you can no longer appeal the FPEB decision?

I’m not 100% on the terminology. I was told you can appeal portions; however, you can’t appeal up to the SECAF which use to take 8 months.

I think you are good from that aspect. Since your active duty I don’t believe that’s it’s incumbent on the service member to prove a current medical condition is service related.

She also said you can’t appeal your to the SECAF anymore so I’m worried about not making it to 20z. We’ll see what happens. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Your post seems cut off or incomplete. I have no idea what your PEBLO meant, but, there has been no significant changes in the past several years as to what you can or cannot appeal. I think she is mistaken, confused, or there is some miscommunication here.
I was told you can appeal portions; however, you can’t appeal up to the SECAF which use to take 8 months.
Again, not sure at all what is being stated as to any members ability to appeal. Alson not sure as to the reference to appealing to SECAF. In the IDES/DES process, after a decision of the FPEB, a member can appeal to the Secretary of the Air Force Personnel Council (SAFPC). Not sure at all what that 8 months reference is to. None of the processes that I deal with take about that long (some are much shorter, some are much longer, but 8 months is a weird suggestion as to the processing times for anything that I deal with regularly).
How do you show something like Syncope is service related?
You don't have to show it is service related (which is generally a VA term, not a AF or DoD term). The presumption is that all conditions incurred while on orders of 30 days or more are service. The current standard across the DoD is that they have to show by "clear and unmistakable" evidence that your condition was not service incurred or aggravated. Also in play in your case is the Eight Year Rule.

I can attest to the truthfulness of no longer appealing to the SecAF. This is true but not 100% accurate. You no longer appeal to the SecAF but to the SAFPC (Sec of Air Force Personnel Council). This was changed July 2019.

AFI 36-3212 (15 July 2019)
3.38.1. After counseling, the PEBLO signs the counseling portion of the AF Form 1180 and helps the service member complete their election. The service member has six calendar days to either agree with the findings, or submit an appeal to SAFPC. In either case, the member will indicate their decision on AF Form 1180.
3.38.2. If the service member disagrees with the Formal PEB fit/unfit finding, the service member or legal counsel/designated representative may submit a written rebuttal. The rebuttal requires the following contents:
.....3.38.2.1. Specific medical and/or legal arguments indicating why the findings of the FPEB are erroneous.
.....3.38.2.2. The service member’s desired outcome, including disposition and percentage of disability, if applicable.
.....3.38.2.3. Supporting statements or documents for rebuttal consideration. Do not resubmit any documents initially entered as evidence during the Formal PEB hearing as part of the rebuttal request

You still have the: IPEB, request FPEB appeal, request SAFPC route, but it no longer takes "8 months" it took a total of 1 month for all my appeals. I was gratefully approved for the LAS (Limited Assignment Status) by the SAFPC to remain on duty until my ETS.

I was MEB'd for Migraines. It was a long scary road to push for my MEB retirement to make it to my 20 year mark. My original disposition was to retire in Sep 2019 which would have put my at 19 years 1 month TAFMS. I fought through appeals and finally had to submit for a LAS and was approved. The benefit of the MEB is all your VA problems will be handled in service so you will have ratings and a disposition prior to getting out, instead of filling with the VA after separation. But with this assurance of your ratings comes the real possibility of being forced to retire prior to 20 years.

I took the gamble and won, but it is scary. That decision is on you, to leave well enough alone and just retire as you plan or try to speed up the VA route and use you in service time to secure all your VA findings.....

I can attest to the truthfulness of no longer appealing to the SecAF. This is true but not 100% accurate. You no longer appeal to the SecAF but to the SAFPC (Sec of Air Force Personnel Council). This was changed July 2019.

This is not a change. Appeals from the FPEB to the SAFPC have been in place for 20 years or more.

I still am not sure what is supposed to have taken 8 months.That is unclear.

The 8 month was just an estimate I have seen on here on how long that particular appeal took.
I spoke with the PEBLO on base and she spoke with my PCM. She said since my intention is to retire they are going to leave me alone and do so.

My advice would be to try for 20 year retirement and get VA exams through BDD (benefits due at discharge).

That’s what I’m doing. I thought about it and the only benefit I can see at 12 months out getting my VA ratings upfront and getting paid sooner after retirement. I don’t think that’s worth the stress of an MEB and making sure I make it to 20.

Background: I previously posted a possible MEB 6 months ago. A couple of things have changed. I hit my 19 year mark yesterday, however I can’t hit the retirement button until February as I’m under a service commitment. I’ve had migraines for the past two years and my treatment is Aimovig and Botox.

Six months have passed and three months ago I started having issues with syncope, I’ve randomly passed out. 7 times specifically, admitted into the hospital twice And once two weeks ago. The neurologist thinks I have Dysautonomia and placed my on Beta-Blockers with the consent of my Cardiologist. They did discover that my ejection fraction ranges from 45-50% which is low for a 37 year old male. I have a Heart MRI in January with a follow in May. The doctor doesn’t seemed worried about my ejection fraction but other doctors have. I intend to get a second opinion once the MRI is complete.

I know have a case manager on base and she submitted me for a DAWG review due to my migraine medicine, specifically the Aimovig. I went to my neurologist this week and had him take me off of it.

I called my local PEBLO to get some information. And she stated that if they did MEB me that I’d the DOD rating came back at say 70% I would still only get 50% if I made it over 20 years. I’ve read the complete opposite on this forum so I’m a little confused. She said she was going to speak with my PCM and ask them to leave me alone as I plan on retiring. She also said you can’t appeal your to the SECAF anymore so I’m worried about not making it to 20z. We’ll see what happens. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

So I had a heart MRI last week and I wasn’t supposed to meet back with the cardiologist until May. However, I received a call from my case manager saying the cardiologist wants to see me Thursday. Apparently my heart MRI came back and my ejection fraction was 35%.
I can apply to retire on 1 Feb and hit 20 Years active duty in Dec 2020. If I’m MEB between then and now is where I get confused. Say they MEB me for my heart or migraine but I make it to 20. Am I still allowed to claim those with the VA for disability? Thanks!

You can claim them either way, via through an MEB, through a BDD ( benefit delivery at discharge) or after your fully retired. Take a look at the Medical standard for the Air Force and see if your new heart condition is unfitting or not. It should be in the resource section of this forum.