19 Years 4 Months

doneat20

Registered Member
Good Day to all! I am in a dilemma with regards to my condition: Right Shoulder wear and tear injury (rotator cuff) and received surgery for it in 2006 using up 2 periods of limited duty, I then again felt the symptoms in 2017 and received a Labrum surgery putting me on my 3rd Limdu Period. I am at 19 years and 4 months however due to being in Okinawa Japan I am obligated until June 2020 on island. Not looking for a Medical Retirement due to being to close to my 20. Have anyone seen a regular retirement request go through requesting a waiver for the 36 month obligated service on station ? I ask because if I can put in for a regular retirement now Id rather do that than be medically retired. And yes I am looking at another limdu period due to not regaining strength fast enough on my right shoulder.

Good Day to all! I am in a dilemma with regards to my condition: Right Shoulder wear and tear injury (rotator cuff) and received surgery for it in 2006 using up 2 periods of limited duty, I then again felt the symptoms in 2017 and received a Labrum surgery putting me on my 3rd Limdu Period. I am at 19 years and 4 months however due to being in Okinawa Japan I am obligated until June 2020 on island. Not looking for a Medical Retirement due to being to close to my 20. Have anyone seen a regular retirement request go through requesting a waiver for the 36 month obligated service on station ? I ask because if I can put in for a regular retirement now Id rather do that than be medically retired. And yes I am looking at another limdu period due to not regaining strength fast enough on my right shoulder.
Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

From an U.S. Army perspective, it's potentially feasible if HQ USAHRC grants approval of the request for a military regular length of service (LOS) retirement. As such, I would strongly suggest that you contact your USMC personnel center who approves all military regular LOS retirement requests and make a direct inquiry. If their response if "yes" and based on your aforementioned comment of "Not looking for a Medical Retirement due to being to close to my 20...if I can put in for a regular retirement now Id rather do that than be medically retired." then you may want to consider submitting the applicable documentation to request an USMC military regular LOS retirement.

Otherwise in my opinion at this point in time after completion of another limdu period (if approved) on your right shoulder, you will only have a couple of months remaining until reaching 20 years AFS. It is indeed highly unlikely that a referral with acceptance into the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process will be officially completed in approximately two months or so timeframe via OCONUS. Additionally, this particular course of action upon successful completion will seem to automatically truncate your mandated 36-month service time on station obligation in Okinawa Japan also. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Thank you for your service to our country. If you put in for retirement the worse thing they can say is "no."