19 years 8 months and counting

monavy

Registered Member
Today my doctor stated they were going to initiate a MEB. My BIG question is that provided I make it to 20 years prior to the final PEB decision, will I receive my regular 20 year retirement pay?

you need 50% or greater for the army to get crsc if you dont get 50% or greater dont sign
take leave figger it out for me the meb took 6 months that was 2007 say your at 17 years dont tell them again no joke if you dont get 50% or greater just fight it if you get a 100% and are 3 days away from getting out dont sign it and put in a review say your not happy with it that is the best advice you will get dont give them the chance i bean fighting a 11 years for what i should have had and now 5 weeks ago the va says i should so no matter what happends just say your not happy with it and get it reviewed and go on leave ( or Family medical leave act) i dont want to see someone get messed up over 2 months good luck

For CRSC, one only needs a VA rating of 10% or more (plus being retired at =>30% DoD) and an approval by the service concerned for CRSC.

CRDP has a requirement of a VA rating of 50% or more. See the service requirements at link below. Having 20 years AD is the most common characteristic, but reserve retirees can receive it as well. A disability retiree must also qualify for one of the two retirements mentioned here. TERA retirees are eligible for CRDP.

There are other requirements as well.

CRDP https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/crdp.html

CRSC https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/crsc.html

Ron

Last edited:
At 19 years and 8 months yiu can EASILY drag the process to make it to 20. You have at least six different levels of appeal that each take time. Even if you sign everything they throw in front of you and go through the process fast... fast is 6 months start to finish. Mine took around 14 months.

You’ll want to get to 50% or more VA to get CRDP.

Today my doctor stated they were going to initiate a MEB. My BIG question is that provided I make it to 20 years prior to the final PEB decision, will I receive my regular 20 year retirement pay?
Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Indeed, as @RonG mentioned in his sound insightful feedback (e.g., message #3) above, you must meet all eligibility requirements to also receive DFAS CRDP upon completion of the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process.

In accordance with 10 USC 1401 if all qualifications are met, you shall be entitled to receive military retired pay computed using your Percentage of Disability (Method A) or using your Years of Active Service (Method B). To that extent, the military service member will receive either Method A or Method B whichever is determined to be most beneficial by DFAS U.S. Military Retired Pay. Please note that the maximum percentage factor is 75% under any of the pay computation formulas regardless of the number of years of active service you may have, or the percentage of disability assigned to you upon completion of the DoD IDES process.

As such, implementing all MEB appeal and PEB appeal opportunities while in the DoD IDES process at the appropriately designated timeframes should definitely result in obtaining 20 years of Active Federal Service (AFS) time for you. Your accumulation of 20 years AFS should occur even under the new DTM 18-004 "Revised Timeliness Goals for the IDES" which changed the total processing goal for 80% of the DoD IDES cases to 230 days. Nonetheless, that's exactly 7.5 months on average for potential completion of the DoD IDES process.

In my opinion, you should not have any worries at this particular point in time given that you still have not been officially referred with acceptance into the DoD IDES process to date.

In retrospect while on military active duty, my DoD IDES experiences resulted in a total duration of 618 calendar days under the previously published DoD IDES timelines. The original DoD Manual 1332.18, Volume 2, dated August 5, 2014 stated an overall IDES processing as "The goal is for DoD and VA to complete 80 percent of cases of AC Service members in no more than 295 days from the date of referral to the IDES to the date of return to duty or notification of the VA benefits decision." Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Time is in your favor in this case I would be surprised if they could even start a MEB ( based on my experience) in the time-frame you are looking at. You are in the driver's seat in this case you have a lot of good options and advice on this issue. I would recommend you sit back and decide what path is most beneficial to you and your family. In your case I see no downside to seeing which path offers the best outcome for you.

Re: CRDP, mentioned above (Note: Most Ch 61 retirees do not qualify for CRDP.)

The amount of CRDP (which restores all or part of waived retired pay), when combined with residual retired pay (i.e., left over from VA offset) cannot exceed the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay.

Here is an example:

a. Gross retired pay = 5726
b. VA compensation = 3079.47
c. A minus B = 2646.53 residual retired pay
d. Dollar amount of longevity portion of retirement = 4023
e. D minus C = 1376.47 CRDP
f. Result: DFAS pays 4023 (2646.53 residual retired pay + 1376.47 CRDP)
VA pays 3079.47 TOTAL: 7102.47

Ron

See DFAS website for additional CRDP info: https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/crdp.html

So CRDP is the same rules that apply to a servicemember that retired at 20 years without a PEB. If you are 40% or less, you receive that portion from the VA tax free and the rest in the form of a regular retirement check. If 50% or greater you receive your whole retirement and the VA disability amount for the given percentage. Is that correct?

Yes, 50% is the threshold for CRDP.

On the other hand, CRDP does not restore waived retired pay that is in excess of the longevity portion of retirement pay (for CH 61 retirees).

Example 1:
CH 61 retiree with $3000 retired pay
—$3200 @ 100% VA compensation causes waiver of all retired pay
—His longevity portion of retirement pay is $2000
—Only $2000 of the $3000 waived retired pay would be restored by CRDP
—Amount received from DFAS $2000 CRDP
—Amount received from VA $3200

Example 2:
—$1600 @ 60% VA compensation causes waiver of $1600 retired pay leaving $1400 residual retired pay
—Residual Retired Pay + CRDP cannot exceed longevity portion of retired pay ($1400 residual + $600 CRDP = $2000)
—Amount received from DFAS $2000 ($1400 + $600)
—Amount received from VA $1600

Rates used are examples only and were not taken from VA comp tables.

Ron

Last edited:
Ron,

Sorry, I don't understand the portion "CRDP does not restore waived retired pay that is in excess of the longevity portion of retirement pay."

Ron,

Sorry, I don't understand the portion "CRDP does not restore waived retired pay that is in excess of the longevity portion of retirement pay."
I wrote an explanation while you posted.

Ron

Limitations for CH 61 retirees.

Example 1:
—$3200 @ 100% VA compensation causes waiver of all retired pay
—Only $2000 of the $3000 waived retired pay would be restored by CRDP
—Amount received from DFAS $2000 CRDP
—Amount received from VA $3200

Example 2:
—$1600 @ 60% VA compensation causes waiver of $1600 retired pay leaving $1400 residual retired pay
—Residual Retired Pay + CRDP cannot exceed longevity portion of retired pay ($1400 residual + $600 CRDP = $2000)
—Amount received from DFAS $2000 ($1400+ $600)
—Amount received from VA $1600

Rates used are examples only and were not taken from VA comp tables.

Ron

Re: CRDP, mentioned above (Note: Most Ch 61 retirees do not qualify for CRDP.)

The amount of CRDP (which restores all or part of waived retired pay), when combined with residual retired pay (i.e., left over from VA offset) cannot exceed the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay.

Here is an example:

a. Gross retired pay = 5726
b. VA compensation = 3079.47
c. A minus B = 2646.53 residual retired pay
d. Dollar amount of longevity portion of retirement = 4023
e. D minus C = 1376.47 CRDP
f. Result: DFAS pays 4023 (2646.53 residual retired pay + 1376.47 CRDP)
VA pays 3079.47 TOTAL: 7102.47

Ron

See DFAS website for additional CRDP info: https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/crdp.html
Ron G, I have seen your examples in the past, yet I can never determine where you get the " d. Dollar amount of longevity portion of retirement = 4023 " Then, you use the D minus C to get the CRDP. Where do you get the longevity portion of retirement figure? Ron P

Ron G, I have seen your examples in the past, yet I can never determine where you get the " d. Dollar amount of longevity portion of retirement = 4023 " Then, you use the D minus C to get the CRDP. Where do you get the longevity portion of retirement figure? Ron P
  1. Active duty time years and months x 2.5% = multiplier
  2. Average of highest 36 months = high three
  3. High three average x multiplier = longevity portion of retired pay

Example:
  1. 8 yrs 6 months is 8.5 years x 0.025 = 21.25%
  2. Selected high three amount = $3000
  3. $3000 x 0.2125 = $637.50 dollar amount of longevity portion of retirement pay

Ron

1. Active duty time years and months x 2.5% = multiplier
  2. Average of highest 36 months = high three
  3. High three average x multiplier = longevity portion of retired pay
Example:
  1. 8 yrs 6 months is 8.5 years x 0.025 = 21.25%
  2. Selected high three amount = $3000
  3. $3000 x 0.2125 = $637.50 dollar amount of longevity portion of retirement pay
Ron
Thanks for that clarification. That makes sense on the calculation. I am 54 and my "promise" date is 58.5 for CDRP. Yet now I am confused.
I assume at 58.5 I would get the entire DFAS $5443, plus the VACP $1668?
  1. DFAS DoD @60% is = $5443 (avg top three $9072)
  2. VACP for me 70% is = $1668
  3. 11.4 active equivalent years (.285) of 34 years in National Guard total

When I tried to put my numbers in the example it went Tango Uniform? What should I expect at 58.5 years of age and CDRP for planning purposes?

My Data:
CH 61 retiree with $5443 retired pay
—$1668 @ 70% VA compensation causes waiver of $1668 retired pay leaving $3775 residual retired pay
—My longevity portion of retirement pay is (11.4 x 2.5% = 28.5%) of $9072 = $2885
—Residual Retired Pay + CRDP cannot exceed longevity portion of retired pay ($3775 residual + $????? CRDP = $2885)
—Amount received from DFAS $???? ($????+ $????)
—Amount received from VA $1668

Thanks in advance for the help at your convenience. Ron P

Your situation is somewhat uncommon due to the large high three average and relatively large amount of residual retired pay.

You mentioned:
“Residual Retired Pay + CRDP cannot exceed longevity portion of retired pay ($3775 residual + $????? CRDP = $2885).”
You also showed: “My longevity portion of retirement pay is (11.4 x 2.5% = 28.5%) of $9072 = $2885.”

Your residual retired pay by itself is more than the longevity portion of retirement pay.
Residual Retired Pay: 3375
Computed longevity amount : 2885
CRDP: zero

CRDP (Regulation)
DoD 7000.14-R Financial Management Regulation Volume 7B, Chapter 64 * October 2018
https://comptroller.defense.gov/Portals/45/documents/fmr/current/07b/07b_64.pdf <—-LINK

Ron

Your situation is somewhat uncommon due to the large high three average and relatively large amount of residual retired pay.

You mentioned:
“Residual Retired Pay + CRDP cannot exceed longevity portion of retired pay ($3775 residual + $????? CRDP = $2885).”
You also showed: “My longevity portion of retirement pay is (11.4 x 2.5% = 28.5%) of $9072 = $2885.”

Your residual retired pay by itself is more than the longevity portion of retirement pay.
Residual Retired Pay: 3375
Computed longevity amount : 2885
CRDP: zero

CRDP (Regulation)
DoD 7000.14-R Financial Management Regulation Volume 7B, Chapter 64 * October 2018
https://comptroller.defense.gov/Portals/45/documents/fmr/current/07b/07b_64.pdf <—-LINK

Ron
Ron G, thanks for the information and you are helpful as always. Yes, I am very fortunate as to the retirement pay and it has changed my plan as to retirement for my federal job. With the disability retirement and VA, I am recalculating my plan and may completely retire this summer/fall and enjoy my remaining years. I will use the link to read up on the regulation. Ron P

Last edited:
Ron G, thanks for the information and you are helpful as always. I will use the link to read up on the regulation. Ron P
Ron P,

Thank you. The influence of lawyers is easily detected in the regulation (i.e., the verbiage).

Ron