19 yr Reservist; potential PDQ & how to make 20

I'm a reserve officer with 19 good years, 10.5 on active duty. I went to a medical retention board 10 years ago for a non service-related condition that seemed to clear up and hadn't given trouble till recently. I was cleared for worldwide deployment and mobilized a few years ago just fine. It never caused disruption to my regular reserve duties outside global mobilization for a year while on a standard review.

Initial diagnosis shows a recurrence, but it could be worse than before given cumulative effects and that would very likely require action rendering me unfit for overseas duty.

It appears I fall into a bad spot: over 18 years, but possibly medical issue that might require going back in front of a board. According to Title 10 I could be kicked out given non service-related issue and literally a year from retirement eligible. I have a couple questions assuming this is condition-related and (worst case), the reserves decides to take me to a board

- Would I have any avenue to finish up one more good year to get to 20?
- Any idea how long the process takes and if I might be able to ride it out for another year (given the processing pace; I assume Covid is slowing things down as well)
- Worst case, could this result in me being kicked out with no medical retirement and no reserve retirement?
- any chance to appeal and give myself time to finish 20?

Frankly, I want to stay in and keep going. My evals are great and I've done good work for the country & would be happy to deploy again. Seems a real kick in the teeth that I could fall into such a category and be chucked to the curb. I'm not eligible to mobilize again for at least another year and can do my regular reserve work without a problem.

Look forward to hearing from you. Thanks for the help.

I can answer one question...

You will still be eligible for reserve retirement as long as you have 15 good years. It seems you do, so worst case is you will be medically separated and get retirement at eligible age.

Drag it out, appeal at every level, take your full ten days to respond at every appeal level and save all of your terminal leave. There are at least 6 levels of appeal.

Narsum rebuttal
IMR independent medical review
MEB appeal
PEB appeal
IPEB/FPEB
VARR
Disability agency review

Even though you can get a 15 year letter if they kick you out before you have 20 years you want to drag it out as @tony292 said because there are other benefits. If you have a 20 year letter you can be eligible for CRPD once you are eligible for retirement and as long as you have 50% or more disability rating from the VA.

Even though you can get a 15 year letter if they kick you out before you have 20 years you want to drag it out as @tony292 said because there are other benefits. If you have a 20 year letter you can be eligible for CRPD once you are eligible for retirement and as long as you have 50% or more disability rating from the VA.
CDRP is only if you have 20 years of total active duty title 10 time, not 20 years of TAFMS. It's a bummer but it is the only true benefit afford to those that do an entire active duty career that no other military members can receive. There is Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC), but based on his information, it doesn't sound like he qualifies.

CDRP is only if you have 20 years of total active duty title 10 time, not 20 years of TAFMS. It's a bummer but it is the only true benefit afford to those that do an entire active duty career that no other military members can receive. There is Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC), but based on his information, it doesn't sound like he qualifies.
Not true. See link: Defense Finance and Accounting Service > RetiredMilitary > disability > crdp
You CAN get CRPD for a Guard or Reserve Non Regular retirement as long as you have 20 good years.

Valid... but not until you hit min retirement age. CDRP will kick in at the same time as DFAS for a trad retirement. It doesn't happen immediately for any service member except those that do a complete 20 year AD career.
Read my original comment that you first responded to. I stated that:)

Read my original comment that you first responded to. I stated that:)
Touché.... I suppose this is a sensitive topic for me because I didn't understand this concept until it hit my bank account. My bad :)

Comments.

Both @Guardguy11 and @Provis understand the requirements for CRDP; there is ample evidence on this site. It is difficult to cover every possible scenario with a few remarks.

A simplified version of a couple of possible cases.
1. Regular retirement (20 years or more AD): CRDP is payable with a 50% or more VA rating.
2. Reserve and NG retirement: CRDP is payable with a 50% or more VA rating and the retiree meets the RC retirement age requirement.
3. TERA retirement: Those approved for a TERA retirement can receive CRDP upon retirement with a 50% or more VA rating.
4. Disability retirement (Chapter 61) can receive CRDP with a 50% or more VA rating and also qualifies for one of the other retirement plans listed above (items 1-2), including age requirement for RC personnel.

Ron

Comments.

Both @Guardguy11 and @Provis understand the requirements for CRDP; there is ample evidence on this site. It is difficult to cover every possible scenario with a few remarks.

A simplified version of a couple of possible cases.
1. Regular retirement (20 years or more AD): CRDP is payable with a 50% or more VA rating.
2. Reserve and NG retirement: CRDP is payable with a 50% or more VA rating and the retiree meets the RC retirement age requirement.
3. TERA retirement: Those approved for a TERA retirement can receive CRDP upon retirement with a 50% or more VA rating.
4. Disability retirement (Chapter 61) can receive CRDP with a 50% or more VA rating and also qualifies for one of the other retirement plans listed above (items 1-2), including age requirement for RC personnel.

Ron
Next time I will include this:) I was trying to specifically address the original posters questions and how it relates to him/her without information overload. I often see a lot of confusion for CRPD with Guard and Reserve Soldiers.