2 P.Es and on Blood thinners.

Shinraevo

Registered Member
Hey all!! My very first post on here.

Background
So in December of 2016 I was hospitalized for chest pain only to find out I had a blood clot in my lung. (Pulmonary Embolism). I was discharged 7 days later and was told to take blood thinners to help out. Saw a hematologist and discovered that I had a factor v leiden. I was placed on the medication for 6 months to help. After my 6 months I was hospitalized again this time with 2 pe’s and one dvt. Was placed on meds for life and meb was initiated. When I got my ratings back I was 0% w/o benefits from the army and 80% from the va. Appealed no change. Formal PEB board no change. They sent it up higher then that and I’m now waiting on the results but I don’t think it will change.

My question is there anything that can be done or is it a lost cause at this point? Also if I’m separated without benefits does that mean I loose tricare completely? What happenens if I get hospitalized again? I’m honestly trying not to worry but it’s kind of frightening. I’ve been in since Jan 2011 and have kept my nose clean the whole time. No article 15s or negative action. Deployed to Afghanistan in 2012. Served faithfully and it’s seems like I’m getting the short end of the stick. Like the army is pushing me out without anything. Any thoughts on what I can do now? Thanks in advance.

How many years do you have in the service? My guess is the issue is that Factor V Leiden existed prior to service. EPTS is not compensated unless it was aggravated by service. I'd hire the best lawyer I could afford. It is up to the service to demonstrate that your service did not aggravate your condition.

How many years do you have in the service? My guess is the issue is that Factor V Leiden existed prior to service. EPTS is not compensated unless it was aggravated by service. I'd hire the best lawyer I could afford. It is up to the service to demonstrate that your service did not aggravate your condition.
Does anyone out there know a good VA disability lawyer that has defended a factor v Leiden (blood clot) case? I was denied and given no rating.

Does anyone out there know a good VA disability lawyer that has defended a factor v Leiden (blood clot) case? I was denied and given no rating.
Attached in signature is my time line. I have to agree with Chaplaincharlie about the pre-condition. My blood test all came back negative so it was determined to be event/service driven. Congrats on being a PE survivor!!! Best regards and good luck on your case. Ron P

I have 32 years in the Military this August---I'm still in the Air National Guard--These are where all my blood cots have occurred. The thing is that over 94% of people with Factor V Leiden never have a blood clot--Certain things like flights and long drives make us more susceptible and once you have one you chances go up to have more. My first one was the result of a military flight and had a couple more that happened after long drives to guard. I feel that once I got the first clot it all went downhill for me and if I had not been on that fatefull flight from he first one then I would not be where I am today. I want to hire a good lawyer and was hoping to find one that has fought the factor V as I see several people have received disability from this and I'm going to regrettably have to deal with these symptoms the rest of my life. I do appreciate your response!!

I have 32 years in the Military this August---I'm still in the Air National Guard--These are where all my blood cots have occurred. The thing is that over 94% of people with Factor V Leiden never have a blood clot--Certain things like flights and long drives make us more susceptible and once you have one you chances go up to have more. My first one was the result of a military flight and had a couple more that happened after long drives to guard. I feel that once I got the first clot it all went downhill for me and if I had not been on that fatefull flight from he first one then I would not be where I am today. I want to hire a good lawyer and was hoping to find one that has fought the factor V as I see several people have received disability from this and I'm going to regrettably have to deal with these symptoms the rest of my life. I do appreciate your response!!
Your situation is very close to mine with the exception of the Factor V. My illness occurred on the trip overseas for a Title 10 Contingency order and was caused by the long flight and not moving due to the crowded flight. You need a PEB lawyer to make sure you get what is deserved and commensurate to your illness which is at least 60% DoD rating in my opinion. I went ahead and filed with VA in March of 2016 and was awarded the rating prior to the MEB ever starting because of the time lag of NGB and my Medical group verbally indicating my illness was not LOD! It was a piece of mind going through the process with the VA 60% as a baseline. Again, I recommend you getting legal counsel and peblawyer.com is supposed to be the best! I did not use private counsel because everything seemed to go my way through the process, yet I had the information ready if required. Ron P

I suggest you set up a consult with peblawyer.com