2 year rule?

b72treadwell

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Hello, Had an eventful day at the VA today. I went in and tried to register and was told that I am 31 days short of being active for two years so I will not be eligible for any services at all until my actual claim for a rating is finished....it hasn't even been started yet. Does anyone know anything about this rule? The lady that helped me tried for three hours to override the system, but it was a no-go.

This is what I have found out. Not sure if this is what you are looking for:

The National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) of Fiscal Year 2008 (Public Law 110-181) was signed by President Bush on January 28, 2008. This Act extends the period of enhanced enrollment opportunity for health care eligibility provided a veteran who served in a theater of combat operations after November 11, 1998 (commonly referred to as combat veterans or OEF/OIF veterans) as follows:

• Currently enrolled combat veterans will have their enhanced enrollment period automatically extended to 5 years from their most recent date of discharge.
  • New enrollees discharged from active duty on or after January 28, 2003 are eligible for this enhanced enrollment health benefit for 5 years after their date of their most recent discharge from active duty.
  • Combat Veterans who never enrolled and were discharged from active duty between November 11, 1998 and January 27, 2003 may apply for this enhanced enrollment opportunity through January 27, 2011.
NOTE: Combat veterans who applied for enrollment after January 16, 2003, but were not accepted for enrollment based on the application being outside the previous post-discharge two year window will be automatically reviewed and notified of the enrollment decision under this new authority.

What does VA accept as proof of combat service?

For purposes of establishing special eligibility for VA health care services, VA accepts service documentation that reflects service in a combat theater, receipt of combat service medals and/or receipt of imminent danger or hostile fire pay or tax benefits.

Let me know if this helps.