A few headaches I'm currently dealing with

gundecker7856

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hi all,

I've been separated for just over 30 days and I'm currently dealing with the following headaches:

DFAS Disability Severance Tax Recoupment - I sent in all the required documents, but DFAS says, "Your VA benefits letter is a proposed ratings letter. When you get the final benefits award letter, try again."

California Unemployment Insurance - I applied immediately after separating via phone call. I asked him 2-3 times if I needed to send anything in such as my DD-214. He said something along the lines of, "No need to send your DD-214. I can verify your service in our database." BS!!! Three weeks pass and I get a letter in the mail stating they need my DD-214 to verify my service. Tried calling their hotline. They have a small window of time and like the VA hotline, if the queue is packed, it will not allow you to remain on hold.

Community College Enrollment - No one knows the correct procedure for anything at the school. I registered while still active duty and it counted me as a California Non-Resident, even though I was born in California. Filled out the residency change forms and three different people all had different answers - one said my DD-214 was sufficient, another one said I needed to get some BS form from the DMV stating my residence, which is on my California Driver's License. The last person had no clue and sought an answer from someone that literally started working there the day prior. Because I have two degrees already, they will not allow me priority registration, although the website says that if you're a recently separated veteran or active duty servicemember, you will be given priority registration. BS!!!!

VA - We all know the long wait time with the VA. All I really want at this point is a finalized award letter so I can send that to DFAS and get my tax recoup.

So...be prepared for some BS once you separate. It seems many organizations and people are not veteran friendly as they claim to be.

oh man, im sorry you are dealing with all that! the first time my husband went to college after he was out of the army, he started at a school that was not used to dealing with veterans yet, and they made him take out student loans "until the va started paying".. what a crock! once the va started paying, it was a pain to get them to use it to pay off his loans they made him take out. luckily, the next school he went to was used to working with veterans and knew how to handle it. i hope everything gets better for you.