ABH Command Referral for 1SG

pullemfar

PEB Forum Regular Member
So here's my situation, earlier this week I sat down with my CSM (Rear) and told him about some stuff I'm dealing with and told him that at the moment that I'm unable to continue to fill this "position" and that I thought he needed to think about moving me so I can get my issues taking care of. So he took me over ABH and we did a quick "scenario/what if" sit down with a counselor. Her advice is the typical stuff about the services offered for said Soldier, blah blah blah..... So with that info I called military onesource and the guy advised me that since I had dealt with similar issues in that past that I should go back to see someone to continue care. I also informed my CDR and he just chuckled. Anyway, Thursday was a full day and it didn't allow me the time to see anyone. I get a call today from my CDR informing me that my BN CDR (Rear) has ordered him to do a command referral. With that being said, what are the courses of action I have or need to take? Is this a formality, and should I be worried? I have not received a counseling and I have to see these people on Monday morning. I have seen what they try to do/do to people. I know that my position as a 1SG/DET NCOIC is not the only position/work I can do for the Army, however as it sounds to me that how they are spinning it. I know Big Army is in full swing with giving folks the boots and that's what concerns me. I'm at Campbell, if you guys have any suggestions on what/how I need to handle this or a good source to go see and talk with, please advise. Awaiting guidance...

Thank You,
PMF

How many years do you have in? I am a prior service CPT with some sort of undiagnosed movement disorder. I also see a psychiatrist for depression, anxiety, and panic attacks all three of which medications have stabilized very well. I would try and transition somewhere like ROTC (they have MSG slots) to ride out your last few years and to avoid the boot. I'm. At 16 years, in ROTC doing well, and my tour will take me to 19 years and pinning MAJ.

Command referral for what? For being seen for your current issues? Usually if the main body command puts the responsibility of watching the rear then I can't see why they wouldn't work with you while dealing with your issues. If they don't and you can't handle it, then go make another appointment with behavioral and while your waiting talk to the chaplain, pcm and mflac just to cover all the corners

How many years do you have in? I am a prior service CPT with some sort of undiagnosed movement disorder. I also see a psychiatrist for depression, anxiety, and panic attacks all three of which medications have stabilized very well. I would try and transition somewhere like ROTC (they have MSG slots) to ride out your last few years and to avoid the boot. I'm. At 16 years, in ROTC doing well, and my tour will take me to 19 years and pinning MAJ.

I have close to 17 years of active time, I reported to my current location about 6 months ago. I'm dealing with the same symptoms you're dealing minus the movement disorder. I had an attempt by a psychiatrist to at a previous location to diagnose me with PTSD, and fought not have that entered into my records and I still feel strongly against that today. That's not what I'm after. However, she may've been right, it's not what I want.

Mainly what I'm trying to find out is what's with a command referral to ABH, why would the Rear Det CDR thinks he needs to do that to a SR NCO. I have shown non of the following:

"According to Department of Defense Directive 6490.1, a mental health evaluation is a clinical assessment of a service member for a mental, physical or personality disorder, the purpose of which is to determine a service member’s clinical mental health status and/or fitness, and/or suitability for service.

Why would a commander make a referral? They make referrals when:

▪ A Soldier has either expressed or attempted harm to themselves or others.

▪ A commander believes that the service member may be suffering from a severe mental disorder.

▪ A Soldier displays excessive sadness and has had recent behavioral changes.

▪ There are unexplained anger outbursts or isolating themselves from others.

▪ There is a decrease in duty performance. "

He may try an say that it's my duty performance, but I can reclama that with zero counseling's from my Co. CDR, zero dropped suspense's, zero failed taskings, just zero failures at all as the 1SG of my Company. Though it feels as if I'm drowning, continuous anxiety, the feeling of possible failure, the total lack of motivation to even come to work and do that job, lack of trust in my senior leadership doesn't help matters. I have that constant circle track feeling where things are just going in a circle but in multiple directions at the same time. I can't stop it no matter how hard I try and whatever I do just gets thrown into the mix and is just another thing on the track. I guess it's a demolition derby of thoughts and feelings of catastrophic proportions. Add all that to the fact that I can't run due to injuries sustained downrange, not someone I'd want leading a company of Soldiers that deserve "outstanding leadership", I can't provide that leadership. I'm the first to admit it, I'm honored that the old CSM afforded me the opportunity to take this position, however I didn't ask for it because I knew I wouldn't be able t endure the mental and physical rigors that came along with it. Along with other medical issues of your typical 40y.o. in the Army today with multiple deployments, I feel/know that I can better serve the army in a different capacity and that there's another SR NCO out there that can come in an provide 110% of what these Soldiers deserve.

Now the challenge I see ahead of me is conveying that to the ABH Counselor so it's conveyed to the Bn CDR (Rear) in a manner in which I'm not gonna be on the next thing smoking to the house. And that's where my concern of what a Command Referral to ABH comes in. Is this a tool designed to assist CDR's in pushing guys out or is there to give an honest no BS assessment of the SM being evaluated.

As far seeking another duty/position, that's my goal and I hope that the Command can see that I'm still of some value to the Army.

Natedog, I hope this also answered your ?'s. Just to add though, I myself am not a Rear unit, just the BN HQ's is. I'm not sure why the command decided they needed to do a Command referral, I guess I'll find that out on Monday when I go see the Bn CDR (rear).

If they don't and you can't handle it, then go make another appointment with behavioral and while your waiting talk to the chaplain, pcm and mflac just to cover all the corners

With your quote above, what if any would the implications be if I b-lined straight to ABH for a self referral prior to seeing the BC on Monday since he's already decided to do a Command referral?

I've got a couple things that work in my favor, I sit in the C&S meetings and here how these guys talk about how to boot soldiers out and what/who they have at their beck and call IOT accomplish career ending feats. It's actually quite disturbing!!!

Anyway, enough of my jawjacking,. Anything else that anyone can lend to this conversation, please chime in.

Thanks,
PMF

How did you make out today pullemfar?

Well, I ended up going through a Command directed eval and due to that I'm doing outpatient intensive therapy for approx. 30 days, longer if the docs think I need it. All this BS just cause I asked to be removed from the 1SG position, I'd hate to see if I really had some serious issues.

Not sure what or if any career related issues are gonna arise from this, none I hope. That'll just be one more fight I have to go through.

Back