About to sign 199. Thinking of appealing

BG91

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I just received my 199 and was originally going to sign it and receive severance. I spoke to legal today and they looked at my ratings for a condition I appealed at the beginning of the process to be unfitting and it was rated at 30% from the VA. Since it was denied before would there be any issue with it being downgraded and denied if I appeal or would it stay the same. I think it might be worth the risk since o would then be retired instead of separated. Has anyone else gone through the 2nd appeal and what would I need to help my case?

jahlon

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Is it worth it? Only you can decide that. Money and medical benefits for life vs a one time (heavily taxed) check.

Bigsink

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Fight for what you believe you should get. I appealed 2 stages of my med board. Overall, I am satisfied with what I received. My appeal to the PEB only took about three weeks due to the board doing a reconsideration without me traveling to them.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
I suggest you listen to your attorney. He/she is operating in your best interest.

Warrior644

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
I just received my 199 and was originally going to sign it and receive severance. I spoke to legal today and they looked at my ratings for a condition I appealed at the beginning of the process to be unfitting and it was rated at 30% from the VA. Since it was denied before would there be any issue with it being downgraded and denied if I appeal or would it stay the same. I think it might be worth the risk since o would then be retired instead of separated. Has anyone else gone through the 2nd appeal and what would I need to help my case?
In reference to your specific question for a non PEB unfit for duty medical condition, the DoVA D-RAS still provides its rating while in the DoD IDES process. Therefore, if the MEB medical condition is rendered unfit for duty by the FPEB hearing then the DoVA D-RAS' rating must be adopted/applied to the DoD rating for that newly PEB unfit for duty medical condition. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Last edited:
data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">