Absent commander...

socmedic

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
So I have just had a MEB started, and my commander has been told to write his commanders letter, but while he is my UCMJ authority, I have only met him twice in 18 months and has nothing to do with anything I do on a daily basis. He isn't anywhere near my rating chain and doesn't even know what my daily duties are. He checked "not observed" on everything. I do not know much about the process, but I know this is a bad thing. Can anyone give me some guidance on what I should do to fix this issue. Thank you.

ceilingfan

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
So I have just had a MEB started, and my commander has been told to write his commanders letter, but while he is my UCMJ authority, I have only met him twice in 18 months and has nothing to do with anything I do on a daily basis. He isn't anywhere near my rating chain and doesn't even know what my daily duties are. He checked "not observed" on everything. I do not know much about the process, but I know this is a bad thing. Can anyone give me some guidance on what I should do to fix this issue. Thank you.
I will say..."not observed" is better than "he performs all his PMOS duties and his disability doesn't affect his job whatsoever." However, you definitely want some evidence supporting the claim that you are unable to perform certain duties of your PMOS. So, you want to get some letters from direct supervisors (like a section leader or one of the med officers in your command) stating that your condition(s) affect your ability to do your job. You can write these letters yourself and have the said people sign them or you can ask them to write a letter.

Do you have contact info (should have been given to you by PEBLO) for MEB Legal Outreach? I'd work closely with them regarding these letters and throughout MEB.

ceilingfan

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Another possible course of action would be to re-do the commander's letter. Instead, this time you fill it out and just give it to the commander to sign.

ranger2992

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Another possible course of action would be to re-do the commander's letter. Instead, this time you fill it out and just give it to the commander to sign.
To me, this is the best option. When you take this route, you ensure all your goals are met. Just present it to the commander and say to help save time, you drafted the letter.

Airforcematt

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
As others have said, write up what you believe to be a proper letter and then either route it up through the chain of Command or "Open door policy" that thing :)

AMIL68T

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
This is the same situation with my commander. He is 3.5 hrs away from my duty station. What he did was have my OIC, who works daily with me and knows all my issue, write up the NARSUM and my commander just signed whatever he wrote. You can try something like that. Maybe you have a squad or platoon leader/NCOIC who can vouch for your limitations?

grizz13

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Have your PSG and the PL, or your OIC fill out the form for the Commander. This is a good honest way for the form to be filled out and the Commander will follow suit and interview your leadership about the truth of the statements on the form and then sign it.

Really it is the best way, this is what I did as my PEBLO instructed. Who in the hell has a Commander watch them work daily??? Maybe Platoon Leaders and 1SG, that's about it...

Warrior644

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Indeed, as a similar implementation process to complete the DA Form 7652 was invoked by the Command leadership within my military acquisition organization.

That said, the Deputy Project Manager (DPM) completed the aforementioned DA Form then the Project Manager (PM) personally called me (while in a medical appointment at the time) for a review discussion prior to him electronically forwarding the documentation to the MEB point of contact. ;)

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">