AD, "Do not qualify for MEB"

Brandroid

Registered Member
Good morning.

I'm active duty Navy, currently serving onboard an aircraft carrier with over 2 years in. I have been experiencing severe depression as well as anxiety significantly impacting quality of life at work and home.

Here's where my story starts. I have had bad experiences with mental health services administered by servicemembers in the past (ex. "You think I gave up every time I got stressed out?" etc.). So, I had decided to go through my PCM and see a civilian psychologist at a military hospital.

I had told her everything: from how people treated me, to constant suicidal thoughts, to believing there was no way I could finish my contract without an attempt. I did not request a discharge, but rather made it very clear how I was struggling to stay afloat.

My doc had proceeded to tell me that there are "avenues for exiting the military" and that I should not feel as though my only way out was to die. She then said she will refer me to someone on the "doctoral level" in order to get the ball rolling -- made an appointment for the following month.

Little did I know, she had also reached out to my command with a "recommendation for separation with Adjustment Disorder with Depressed Mood," yet determined to be fit for full duty.

And so I was summoned to meet with Ship's Psychologist, a Lieutenant. She basically asked me if everything I said with my doc was true, and by the end I told her I desperately wanted out -- she had directly asked me that.

Here's where my question starts. At the end of our meeting, she had told me that she would push a recommendation for separation and, if my request was approved, I would be AdSep'd, NOT be eligible for MEB/PEB, disability, or GI Bill.

-I was under the impression that GI Bill benefit was tied to discharge (Honorable, etc.), so why would me getting separated change that? I have zero cases of punishment and 2 years of service.
-Why, specifically, would I be outright denied access to MEB process?
-I was previously dropped from Nuke school with Adjustment disorder almost a year ago. Wouldn't this be Chronic Adjustment Disorder now?

I apologize for the long post and thank you to all who contribute! Have a great day.

When did you symptoms start?

As pointed out above, at 2 years in, you will be eligible for VA assuming you discharge is other than dishonorable.

When did your symptoms start?

As pointed out above, at 2 years in, you will be eligible for VA assuming you discharge is other than dishonorable.

Symptoms started about 1.5 years ago. I was first told I had adjustment disorder about a year ago, but I'm not sure if it's in my medical record. However, I do have a signed chit stating I had adjustment disorder. And then additionally I have my current diagnosis as of 2 weeks ago.

That was part of my question- do they have any grounds for giving me something lesser than Honorable considering I have a perfect record?

The USN leans toward fit findings. How much longer is your enlistment? Sometimes people fail to adapt to a military lifestyle, but go on to lead happy, productive lives.

Ad sep has to be honorable unless good cause is shown otherwise (usually has to be some form UCMJ action) you can go that route but I recommend maybe some treatment or medication to see if you can push through the rest of your contact.