Additional Duty Service Obligations

RichDaniel

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I am an AD Army Warrant Officer with over 20 years AFS. After multiple visits with my PCM, he is considering initiating a MEB (back & neck). I asked him to wait and he agreed, however I am strongly considering going through with it. I am projected to be promoted on 1 JAN 19. At that time I will incur a two year ADSO. I am also concurrently serving ADSOs for TA and the length of my overseas tour. I reviewed AR 350-100 (Active Officer Service Obligations) and cannot find anything in reference to ADSO exemptions for medical retirement...

Does anybody know where I can reference ADSO exemptions? Will I retain my rank? Will I need to pay back tuition? etc.

I am an AD Army Warrant Officer with over 20 years AFS. After multiple visits with my PCM, he is considering initiating a MEB (back & neck). I asked him to wait and he agreed, however I am strongly considering going through with it. I am projected to be promoted on 1 JAN 19. At that time I will incur a two year ADSO. I am also concurrently serving ADSOs for TA and the length of my overseas tour. I reviewed AR 350-100 (Active Officer Service Obligations) and cannot find anything in reference to ADSO exemptions for medical retirement...

Does anybody know where I can reference ADSO exemptions? Will I retain my rank? Will I need to pay back tuition? etc.
Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Based upon the information provided on the "GoArmyEd Assistance Center" webpage about ADSO, it stated that "Active Duty Commissioned Officers or Commissioned Warrant Officers incur an ADSO of two years unless involuntarily separated by the Army...If approved for voluntary separation an Officer will be required to reimburse the Army the amount of TA representing the unserved portion of the ADSO/RDSO."

In reference to your other ADSO concerns with potential exception-to-policy implications due to a military disability/medical retirement, I would suggest that you contact an Army Installation Retirement Services Officer (RSO) at URL Contact Us | Soldier for Life for any potential assistance. As such, every retiring/retired soldier and family WORLDWIDE is supported by an RSO who gives pre-retirement briefings to include answering questions via an one-on-one basis.

In my experienced opinion with a military disability/medical retirement via final placement onto the DoD military PDRL in 2018, any ADSO requirement incurred during military service but not completed due to an involuntary separation by the Army should not result in a mandatory continued obligation. Technically, a military disability/medical retirement can be considered as an involuntary separation since a "no later than 90-day transition" window to leave military service is mandated by the SEC Army via publishing of the USAHRC retirement orders by the Army Installation RSO.

That all said, your new WO rank should be retained, no TA repayment of unserved ADSO, and a curtailment for overseas tour of duty length should all occur upon official completion of the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process. Hopefully, there still exist Army regulations supportive of the ADSO "involuntarily separated by the Army" exception rule, and assistance from an Army Installation RSO shall provide verification of the governing Army regulation(s).

Indeed, I hope all of this helps, and that you strongly consider a potential military medical retirement versus a military regular LOS retirement; the benefits seem overwhelmingly favorable at this particular point in time! Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Based upon the information provided on the "GoArmyEd Assistance Center" webpage about ADSO, it stated that "Active Duty Commissioned Officers or Commissioned Warrant Officers incur an ADSO of two years unless involuntarily separated by the Army...If approved for voluntary separation an Officer will be required to reimburse the Army the amount of TA representing the unserved portion of the ADSO/RDSO."

In reference to your other ADSO concerns with potential exception-to-policy implications due to a military disability/medical retirement, I would suggest that you contact an Army Installation Retirement Services Officer (RSO) at URL Contact Us | Soldier for Life for any potential assistance. As such, every retiring/retired soldier and family WORLDWIDE is supported by an RSO who gives pre-retirement briefings to include answering questions via an one-on-one basis.

In my experienced opinion with a military disability/medical retirement via final placement onto the DoD military PDRL in 2018, any ADSO requirement incurred during military service but not completed due to an involuntary separation by the Army should not result in a mandatory continued obligation. Technically, a military disability/medical retirement can be considered as an involuntary separation since a "no later than 90-day transition" window to leave military service is mandated by the SEC Army via publishing of the USAHRC retirement orders by the Army Installation RSO.

That all said, your new WO rank should be retained, no TA repayment of unserved ADSO, and a curtailment for overseas tour of duty length should all occur upon official completion of the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process. Hopefully, there still exist Army regulations supportive of the ADSO "involuntarily separated by the Army" exception rule, and assistance from an Army Installation RSO shall provide verification of the governing Army regulation(s).

Indeed, I hope all of this helps, and that you strongly consider a potential military medical retirement versus a military regular LOS retirement; the benefits seem overwhelmingly favorable at this particular point in time! Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Thank you so much for this! I will contact my RSO ASAP.

Thank you so much for this! I will contact my RSO ASAP.
Indeed, you are quite welcome! Good deal! Take care!

Best Wishes!

I had an ADSC both times an MEB was started on me. It didn't come into play.

You are welcome.