Adj Disorder changed to depression nos

Munashiimaru

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Military side put into VA for Adjustment disorder with depressed mood. I got my C&P exam back and the examiner wrote that depression nos was more appropriate. I'm more and more finding it hard to believe a person that talked to me for 30 minutes knows better than the people I've been seeing for almost a year now. I'm wondering if I should be upset about this or doing anything to fight it? My meb package has already been submitted; I didn't realize what depression nos was until recently and even now don't know what the implication is for my package.

If it helps, my DSM-IV diagnosis is:
Axis I: Social Phobia, Depressive Disorder NOS
Axis II: No diagnosis
Axis III: Ehlers Danlos Syndrome, Joint pain, back pain, neck pain, GERD, Migraines, Tachycardia, psoriasis, Hashimoto's thyroiditis, eczema,
Axis IV: Few social supports, upcoming seperation from the military, multiple physical problems
Axis V: global assessment of functioning: 51

Addition comments:
The service member meets full DSM-IV criteria for diagnoses of social phobia and depressive disorder NOS. Symptoms of depressive disorder NOS better explain the service member's current clinical presentation than a diagnosis of a adjustment disorder with depressed mood. Symptoms of insomnia can be considered part of a depressive disorder and do not warrant a separate diagnosis.

Haven't gotten it back yet. PEBLO said it'd take 3-4 months and it's been 1 or 2.

Not ratings. If your MEB packet was sent to PEB a month ago, you should know whether or not unfit. Fitness determination usually comes down within a week of MEB packet forwarded to PEB...

Actually, the change in diagnosis may help. Adjustment disorders with depressed mood, in a clinical sense, are temporary periods of difficulty, where your primary symptoms are similar to depression. What the examiner is saying, is that the condition has occurred long enough, and is severe enough, to warrant a mood disorder (depression) diagnosis. It doesn't fit easily into one of the diagnostic categories (which is not unusual) so they said it was depressive disorder not otherwise specified. Good luck. Bob

Looking back at emails, it was actually only submitted about two weeks ago :oops: Time is not moving quickly for me I guess. Maybe I should still call my peblo, but I've been trying to not get on their nerves.

Reading the description of depression NOS it seems to point to acute or minor conditions, which is what started me getting worried.

Mun, The changed conditions will help you, dont worry about it. You should have an unfit in about a month or so. In the end you will get good ratings and be ok. Start saving and making a plan for when you get out. I suffer from alot of psych conditions and myself one of my ratings is 50% for PTSD. God Bless You and take care, for anyone willing to sacrifice for their country, deserves a smile on the way out.

Thanks for the reassurance.

Actually, the change in diagnosis may help. Adjustment disorders with depressed mood, in a clinical sense, are temporary periods of difficulty, where your primary symptoms are similar to depression. What the examiner is saying, is that the condition has occurred long enough, and is severe enough, to warrant a mood disorder (depression) diagnosis. It doesn't fit easily into one of the diagnostic categories (which is not unusual) so they said it was depressive disorder not otherwise specified. Good luck. Bob
Mun, The changed conditions will help you, dont worry about it. You should have an unfit in about a month or so. In the end you will get good ratings and be ok. Start saving and making a plan for when you get out. I suffer from alot of psych conditions and myself one of my ratings is 50% for PTSD. God Bless You and take care, for anyone willing to sacrifice for their country, deserves a smile on the way out.

Yes, I concur since the "Adjustment Disorder" medical diagnosis is undergoing turmoil decision reviews within the DoD and DoVA communities.

Moreover, I would suggest to stay the course and remain strong while in the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process until successful completion of the results you are trying to achieve.

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Maybe I should start a new thread for this, but what does it mean when fitness determination is taking a long time (assuming a week is normal)? It's been a little over a month now. I just asked my peblo if it came in and she confirmed it hadn't.

The PEB is rarely backed-up. MEB's and VA raters, yes...but not the PEB. So, with that being said, either your PEBLO is mistaken that your fitness memo hasn't came back or something unusual happened at PEB (like, they are overlooking or misplaced your packet). Has your PEBLO confirmed that PEB received your MEB?

I just got word that I was found unfitting. Aparently, it got updated in the database the day after I first asked :confused: so it actually happened on the 16th.