Adjustment disorder instead of PTSD

Rjmish7

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello everyone, I have a questions in regards to combating a diagnosis from a doctor. So, i was diagnose with PTSD last year(2019), However, to make story short, i came to a new command under LIMDU orders. Here, i was given a different psych doctor and then later on,(last month) i got put on medical board. Now, the diagnosis under my NARSUM they put me under F43.8 which is basically Other reactions to severe stress, which is basically under the blanket statement of adjustment disorder. How, can i combat this diagnosis and challenge or dispute this diagnosis. The psychologist had me go through all kinds of PTSD treatment such PE, ganglion, therapy, and all other treatments to include medication but only to lie to me and try to med board me under a different diagnosis. Guys, please help me, it's really making me depress even more. Thank you for your help in advance.

All MH disorders are rated the same

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1572001730654.jpg
    FB_IMG_1572001730654.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 54
All MH issues have the same VA rating scale, but your post made me curious what the difference is between a diagnosis for PTSD and adjustment disorder. The link below clarified a key difference that adjustment disorder may be viewed as a more temporary condition. Without being a MH professional and having you provide details you should not give in a forum like this, no one can tell you if your diagnosis is correct. What I will say is it appears based on your statements you may have MH records with a diagnosis for both PTSD and adjustment disorder. The first thing I would do is see what your MH records say with official stated diagnoses, not statements like ‘symptoms consistent with Xxx’ but an actual diagnosis during your treatment since 2019. Also, if you progress in the disability process you will likely have a VA scheduled appointment for a MH assessment either done by the VA or by a contractor (like QTC). They will have you fill out diagnostic questionnaires and talk with you in depth to help them make their own assessment based on DSM criteria. Be honest and open about how your MH condition affects you. That is an opportunity to express that you have other current MH diagnoses. Don’t try to recite your issues like a textbook from the DSM, the questionnaires and your open and honest answers during the discussion will give them what they need to make their decision and % recommendation. Best of luck with your MH recovery and please continue to seek treatment.

When you go through a C&P exam, the examiner will provide an independent diagnosis. I suggest you get legal counsel as soon as an MEB is started.

All MH issues have the same VA rating scale, but your post made me curious what the difference is between a diagnosis for PTSD and adjustment disorder. The link below clarified a key difference that adjustment disorder may be viewed as a more temporary condition. Without being a MH professional and having you provide details you should not give in a forum like this, no one can tell you if your diagnosis is correct. What I will say is it appears based on your statements you may have MH records with a diagnosis for both PTSD and adjustment disorder. The first thing I would do is see what your MH records say with official stated diagnoses, not statements like ‘symptoms consistent with Xxx’ but an actual diagnosis during your treatment since 2019. Also, if you progress in the disability process you will likely have a VA scheduled appointment for a MH assessment either done by the VA or by a contractor (like QTC). They will have you fill out diagnostic questionnaires and talk with you in depth to help them make their own assessment based on DSM criteria. Be honest and open about how your MH condition affects you. That is an opportunity to express that you have other current MH diagnoses. Don’t try to recite your issues like a textbook from the DSM, the questionnaires and your open and honest answers during the discussion will give them what they need to make their decision and % recommendation. Best of luck with your MH recovery and please continue to seek treatment.

Thank you so much for your help.