Admin Sep for adjustment disorder with depressed mood.

cody2432

Registered Member
Hi there,

I have recently been informed that i will be receiving a admin sep for adjustment disorder with depressed mood. I have served three years in the navy, and have never been in trouble or had any negative remarks against me. I am wondering what type of discharge i am likely to receive, and how this will affect me getting a job and going to school once out of the military?

thanks for your help

If I were you, I will talk to legal to see what they can do for me. With this kind of separation though, you should get an honorable discharge but, be proactive about your case not to get screwed by your chain of command. Good luck!

If I were you, I will talk to legal to see what they can do for me. With this kind of separation though, you should get an honorable discharge but, be proactive about your case not to get screwed by your chain of command. Good luck!

I will do that, thanks for your response!

I would ask for a second opinion. AD is an easy out for the service, non-compensated. You may have some form of mood disorder which is compensated. A second opinion would not hurt!

I would ask for a second opinion. AD is an easy out for the service, non-compensated. You may have some form of mood disorder which is compensated. A second opinion would not hurt!

Thanks for the response, I will definitely consider a second opinion. My main concern right now though is whether or not a separation for ad will be honorable or not. Do you know if it should be an honorable discharge? Like I said, i have never been in trouble or anything.

If no trouble then it will always be an honorable. The service has to find wrongdoing to justify anything other than honorable.

I was separated for adjustment disorder five years ago. It was honorable and I got all the benefits. What sucked is I only got 90% of the GI Bill due to not being on three years. However, after I was booted out the VA diagnosed me with Bi-Polar. I challenged by admin sep to the Board of Corrections and won. So that's all being changed. I was also told adjustment disorder is now one of the conditions you can be medically separated for. Let me know if you have any questions.

Yes, under the circumstances you describe the separation would be honorable.

Hi there,

I have recently been informed that i will be receiving a admin sep for adjustment disorder with depressed mood. I have served three years in the navy, and have never been in trouble or had any negative remarks against me. I am wondering what type of discharge i am likely to receive, and how this will affect me getting a job and going to school once out of the military?

thanks for your help

Hey there. I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents. I'm not sure how the Navy runs things, but in the Air Force, adjustment disorder is now a boardable condition. My active duty psychologist that is recommending me for the MEB said that it is.

Hey there. I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents. I'm not sure how the Navy runs things, but in the Air Force, adjustment disorder is now a boardable condition. My active duty psychologist that is recommending me for the MEB said that it is.

Chronic Adjustment Disorder is boardable. Regular Adjustment Disorder (AD that has been present for less than six months) is considered a personality disorder and you could be seperated without benefits.

AD is a misused diagnosis by the DoD behavioral Heath teams. Make sure you protect yourself.

Chronic Adjustment Disorder is boardable. Regular Adjustment Disorder (AD that has been present for less than six months) is considered a personality disorder and you could be seperated without benefits.

AD is a misused diagnosis by the DoD behavioral Heath teams. Make sure you protect yourself.

Oh yea sorry about that. I do have chronic adjustment disorder as it has been diagnosed 3 or 4 times over the past 3 years with 3 distinct suicidal ideation instances. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

In my agency, we are not even allowed to diagnose AD. The reasoning behind this is our supervisors believe that AD is often misdiagnosed because other behavioral health condition may better represent the symptoms. Our supervisors have cited many studies in which assessments have been conducted with the direct purpose of coming to the conclusion of AD (pre-meditated). AD is very unique because it can only be diagnosed when there is no cormobidity (co-occurring disorders).

Co-occuring disorders are restricted. For example, an Adjustment Disorder cannot be diagnosed if a more specific psychiatric disorder is appropriate, for example major depressive disorder or panic disorder, even if the stressor is the cause of the disorder. [4]:186 Disturbance of conduct may leads to a person acting out, for example a teenager stealing or an adult conducting an extra-marital affair. [4]:188 Read more: http://traumadissociation.com/adjustment

In my agency, we are not even allowed to diagnose AD. The reasoning behind this is our supervisors believe that AD is often misdiagnosed because other behavioral health condition may better represent the symptoms. Our supervisors have cited many studies in which assessments have been conducted with the direct purpose of coming to the conclusion of AD (pre-meditated). AD is very unique because it can only be diagnosed when there is no cormobidity (co-occurring disorders).

Co-occuring disorders are restricted. For example, an Adjustment Disorder cannot be diagnosed if a more specific psychiatric disorder is appropriate, for example major depressive disorder or panic disorder, even if the stressor is the cause of the disorder. [4]:186 Disturbance of conduct may leads to a person acting out, for example a teenager stealing or an adult conducting an extra-marital affair. [4]:188 Read more: http://traumadissociation.com/adjustment

That's interesting. Yea I was definitely diagnosed correctly I think. I was diagnosed initially about 3 years ago, then again with a civilian provider in a mental hospital, then again when I got deployed. Each of these diagnoses had a suicidal ideation episode attached. All this occurred over 3 or 4 years. So the active duty psychologist (I'm a reservist) diagnosed me with chronic adjustment disorder with mixed anxiety and depression. She also diagnosed me with borderline personality disorder. Before you say anything, I'm already being recommended for an MEB. The psychologist told me the stories about how the Army was using BPD to discharge people illegally. She said she only diagnosed me with BPD for my own knowledge to seek treatment.

How would you get separated without benefits? My psychologist recommended me for acute AD, but I have no disciplinary record whatsoever, have a current MP eval, and have been in for over 3 years. The psychologist, JAG, and my LPO all told me I'd get an Honorable because the CO has no justification to award me anything less.

How would you get separated without benefits? My psychologist recommended me for acute AD, but I have no disciplinary record whatsoever, have a current MP eval, and have been in for over 3 years. The psychologist, JAG, and my LPO all told me I'd get an Honorable because the CO has no justification to award me anything less.

Acute AD is considered a personality disorder and falls under the list of conditions that can separate you without benefits.

Acute AD is considered a personality disorder and falls under the list of conditions that can separate you without benefits.
Where is the instruction for that? I was told by both my Doc and JAG that since I have no disciplinary record that the CO can't justify any characterization other than Honorable. Even the MILPERSMAN 1910-120 states that the recommended characterization for the discharge is Honorable, unless any other characterization is appropriate.

Nothing in that instruction mentions potential loss of benefits (unless the characterization of discharge is less than honorable).

If all you are looking for is the GI Bill, then go for it. The VA will not service connect the condition.