Administrative Separation for Adjustment Disorder - What I Need to Know?!

emibim

Registered Member
Hello,

I am 27 and will be voluntarily separating from the Air Force on an Administrative Separation in the very near future. My date has not yet been set as the letter was just sent off by my Commander yesterday, but I have a few questions I'm hoping someone may have some insight on.

First, once my date is set, how do I go about utilizing my remaining leave? I will have about 2.5 weeks to use. What if when my date is set and I find out, it is less than that amount of time??

I know that Admin Seps can depend on the situation, but from what I have been told by my docs this is not an unusual case or anything outlandish, so I am curious as to a ball park of the possible time frame I may be looking at? I've been told and where from 2 weeks to 9 months (but that was a very rare case).

Also, how does Unemployment work after I get out? Will I need to file through my state of residence (aka, the state that I pay taxes to, not the one I am stationed in)? I volunteered at our on base Tax Center this year and found our from our guru that as military members when we separate we are entitled to claiming for up to 2 years, does anyone know if this is true or what any stipulations on this may be?

I am also curious as to what my options will be regarding VA disability. I was told that this sort of Sep does not provide medical benefits, but does that mean that I am prevented from a Separation Physical and/or applying for disability??

Lastly, is there any pertinent advice anyone can give me to look out for myself? Anything that I should keep in mind or get checked before I get out? This Sep is through the MH clinic, and I know that I need to retrieve copies of all of my medical records, but I just don't want to miss anything that could screw me over in the future.

Any serious informative responses are much appreciated.

Thanks and have a great day!

Have you talked to your doctor about going the route of a medical evaluation board rather than a voluntary seperation? I would think at least going through a medical evaluation board might be a better option than just voluntary seperation.

Yes, we discussed the possibility of MEB. They had me take two separate computer based tests to rule more serious issues like schizophrenia or bipolar (which I knew and my psychologist knew I didn't have, but the Psychiatrist had ordered it to be done basically to make sure he wasn't missing anything more serious) and since the testing turned out as my Psychologist had expected he told me that it did not require any sort of transition into the MEB process and would not change what had already begun for my separation.

My anxiety is environment based from my work, we have already established this. I am able to function and do my job above and beyond, I've gone up for boards and received many awards and have never had any negative actions against me, but my therapist said that somewhere from the point I came in because of the change in my surroundings it has been as if I have subconsciously gone into this "emotional survival mode" and though I have seen it as a way to survive, function and protect myself it is actually getting to the point where I can no longer focus on things, my heart beats too fast and I'm having anxiety attacks all throughout the day while I am at work and it's no longer healthy for me to continue this way.... but it is not MEB-able from what I have been told.

I highly doubt that your condition is not "MEB-able." I would not voluntarily separate. Why this would not be an anxiety disorder (or chronic adjustment disorder that should be compensable) is unclear.

How many years of service do you have?

If there is anyway you can wait it out, ets as planned. I understand, that may seem impossible. They have help for you. Continue to see your doc. Your going to have these issues regardless of where you are. You will avoid years or regret, if you can physically and mentally make it. Good luck.

I have been in for almost 26 months... with an initial enlistment of 6 years. I also have other medical issues going on right now regarding my feet that I have had 2 surgeries on for AVN of my right medial sesamoid that had to be removed and bilateral bunionectomies, the last one on the left foot is in the process of healing, so that is why I was curious if this would disqualify me for VA disability.

My issues with anxiety and stress are very difficult for me to deal with at this point. This is something that I have been holding onto and hiding for the past year to year and a half and the reason why I even went to the MH clinic was to hopefully be given something to help with the anxiety, but instead they gave me an anti-depressant to "help take the edge off", but that is not doing anything for anxiety or the fact that I don't sleep and they know this but feel that at this stage because of how long its been going on that what I need most is the therapy, not meds, which I am fine with, I hate taking medication and don't want to become dependent on anything.

So do you think this has something to do with the amount of time I have been in?

My Psychologist said that I was a good candidate for the Admin Sep because it is fast, and that this is something that has been going on for more than three months and because I wasn't coming to them seeking to get out.... unsure how exactly that makes sense, sort of like reverse psychology if you ask me, like you get what you don't ask for and don't get what you do.

I have also expressed my paranoia to my Psychiatrist, things that I have never told anyone and yet he still classifies me with Adj DO, even though he also thinks I have OCD tendencies as well.

Am I being misdiagnosed?

What makes all of this even more difficult for me is that I work in the hospital, I see these people everyday and I know that people I work with know what's going on because I am at MH twice a week, this is also why I can not do this for another six months to a year, I will literally have a nervous break down if I have to wait that long.

I can't tell you about misdiagnoses (as I am not a physician). But I can say that it sounds like you should seek a second opinion and that you should be boarded (and they should evaluate and consider all of your conditions). Although, who knows, if you are being misdiagnosed and not getting the treatment you need, you may be able to get the right treatment, get your condition under control and continue to serve.

I realize that there is a price sometimes for fighting for your rights in terms of emotional energy. However, accepting a voluntary separation will likely compromise your ability to later fight for your entitlements. Something you have to weigh for yourself.

If you voluntarily separate, you won't get the therapy or help you need. It's only been 3 months, it takes a lot longer than that to get better. What your psychologist told you makes no sense at all. Please get a second opinion. Does the OCD affect your work and interaction with co-workers? Don't voluntarily separate. If your doctors think it is that bad that you need to be separated, have them do it the right way like they are supposed to. That way you have more time for treatment, might get to keep your medical benefits if you are boarded, keep your GI Bill (BIGGIE!!!) and even if they decide to separate you administratively you will get a partial severance check to help you make a new start. Hope this helps you. Good luck.

Can OP update everyone on status please? Curious to see how you're doing. I have a question for anyone who might know the answer? Once your CC serves you with the paperwork, informing you that he (or she) has initiated discharge actions against you for "conditions that interfere with military service", how long til you recieve your orders?

I know that the squadron CC is not the "approval" authority, but from what I am told- the approval authority doesn't go against the medical, first sergeant and sq cc all that often? Anyone shed some light? Mainly just curious as to how long after you submit your rebutial, do you recieve notification everything is approved? Is it via email? phone call?

Thanks

Can OP update everyone on status please? Curious to see how you're doing. I have a question for anyone who might know the answer? Once your CC serves you with the paperwork, informing you that he (or she) has initiated discharge actions against you for "conditions that interfere with military service", how long til you recieve your orders?

I know that the squadron CC is not the "approval" authority, but from what I am told- the approval authority doesn't go against the medical, first sergeant and sq cc all that often? Anyone shed some light? Mainly just curious as to how long after you submit your rebutial, do you recieve notification everything is approved? Is it via email? phone call?

Thanks

I am going through the same thing right now and curious to know how it went for you since I presume you are out by now?