AMeadows1984

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I have a quick question...

So my husband is being medically retired from the AF (over 17 years active duty) and we were speaking to a family friend about the compensation portion. This person was medically retired from the Army after ten years of active duty service, and receives retirement compensation from the Army, as well as compensation from the VA. We were told that my husband would only be receiving from the VA (or the AF whichever is higher)? I'm confused as I thought you had to hit the full 20 years to get compensation from both?

Thank you in advance for any help.

I have a quick question...

So my husband is being medically retired from the AF (over 17 years active duty) and we were speaking to a family friend about the compensation portion. This person was medically retired from the Army after ten years of active duty service, and receives retirement compensation from the Army, as well as compensation from the VA. We were told that my husband would only be receiving from the VA (or the AF whichever is higher)? I'm confused as I thought you had to hit the full 20 years to get compensation from both?

Thank you in advance for any help.

The Army person may have been eligible for CRSC if they combat related service connected disability.

Yes, we are aware of the CRSC, but would that line up for 50% of the base pay then? I think that's what I'm (we're) confused about - it sounds like regular retirement pay. I thought that CRSC was not that much...

TIA

The other thing is this.

When medically retired, you receive money from 2 places. You receive it from the VA and the DOD.

Example: If your total dollar amount owed is $2,000 and the VA rating gets you $1700 and the DOD rating gets you the $2000, you will actually take the VA's $1700 and then the DOD's $300 to take you up to the cap. You do this because VA compensation is not taxed.

I suspect the other person is receiving CRSC from the military and VA pay. Under 20 years you husband is not CRDP eligible.

Yes, we are aware of the CRSC, but would that line up for 50% of the base pay then? I think that's what I'm (we're) confused about - it sounds like regular retirement pay. I thought that CRSC was not that much...

TIA

CRSC can be just about anything when we're talking in generalities. I say this because CRSC is based on each member's combat related disabilities. So it is possible that CRSC for this particular person is that high.

Thank you for helping us to understand...I wasn't aware that you received from both places. How is the total determined? Sorry for so many questions - we really thought we'd never have to be dealing with this and that my husband would retire normally at 20 years. I find it all very confusing, and he gets supremely frustrated when we talk about it. I appreciate all the clarification that this forum is able to provide - it really is invaluable.

The other thing is this.

When medically retired, you receive money from 2 places. You receive it from the VA and the DOD.

Example: If your total dollar amount owed is $2,000 and the VA rating gets you $1700 and the DOD rating gets you the $2000, you will actually take the VA's $1700 and then the DOD's $300 to take you up to the cap. You do this because VA compensation is not taxed.

DFAS will calculate what DOD pays vs VA. In my case my high 3 at O3E over 18 comes to 4432. At 100% VA pays 3277 and DFAS pays 1156.

Thank you for helping us to understand...I wasn't aware that you received from both places. How is the total determined? Sorry for so many questions - we really thought we'd never have to be dealing with this and that my husband would retire normally at 20 years. I find it all very confusing, and he gets supremely frustrated when we talk about it. I appreciate all the clarification that this forum is able to provide - it really is invaluable.

You could, in theory, take the money all from the DoD (if it is higher than the VA) however, the money received from the VA isn't taxable. So you end up getting the first portion from the VA and then the DoD just adds the rest on top as taxable income.