AF Over 20 yrs, found unfit, DoD Rating Question

kynchanted

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello! I have a question about my DoD rating. I was just found unfit by the IPEB. ADAF with 20.5 years in service. My ratings, according to the paperwork I got today, are 30% DoD/70% VA. Unfit for migraines that require botox. I understand the DoD rating is only for the migraines, and my Peblo told me that the 30% doesn't mean anything because I'm entitled to the 50% commensurate with a 20-yr retirement. But it doesn't say anywhere on my paperwork that I'll get 50% from the DoD. Is this concerning or not? I have until next Friday to meet with legal if I choose, which I wasn't planning on doing unless the 30% is in fact replacing the 50% I would have otherwise gotten from time served, and sign for my ratings. I was just hoping to clarify that the 30% really is not applicable, as my Peblo said, since I'm over 20 years TIS. Thanks for your help!

Hello! I have a question about my DoD rating. I was just found unfit by the IPEB. ADAF with 20.5 years in service. My ratings, according to the paperwork I got today, are 30% DoD/70% VA. Unfit for migraines that require botox. I understand the DoD rating is only for the migraines, and my Peblo told me that the 30% doesn't mean anything because I'm entitled to the 50% commensurate with a 20-yr retirement. But it doesn't say anywhere on my paperwork that I'll get 50% from the DoD. Is this concerning or not? I have until next Friday to meet with legal if I choose, which I wasn't planning on doing unless the 30% is in fact replacing the 50% I would have otherwise gotten from time served, and sign for my ratings. I was just hoping to clarify that the 30% really is not applicable, as my Peblo said, since I'm over 20 years TIS. Thanks for your help!
By statute, you actually are paid the higher of the PEB assigned rating or your length of service calculation (based on your retired base pay). I can't say or advise whether you have av case for a better or higher outcome. But, based on your specific questions and the facts you presented, I don't see any areas of concern.

Best of luck!!

A minor addition to Jason’s accurate information.

Re: “Hello! I have a question about my DoD rating. I was just found unfit by the IPEB. ADAF with 20.5 years in service. My ratings, according to the paperwork I got today, are 30% DoD/70% VA. Unfit for migraines that require botox. I understand the DoD rating is only for the migraines, and my Peblo told me that the 30% doesn't mean anything because I'm entitled to the 50% commensurate with a 20-yr retirement. ”

If your active service is 20 years and 6 months since you showed 20.5 years, the multiplier will be 20.5 x 2.5% = 51.25%

If your DoD disability percentage is less than that rate, your retired pay will be: High three average base pay x 51.25% = Retired Pay

Since you qualify for a regular (e.g., 20 yrs AD) retirement and have a VA rating of 50% or more, CRDP will cause Concurrent Receipt of VA Comp and retired pay. The CRDP will not exceed the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay (which in this case seems to be all of it).

Ron

kynchanted - what paperwork did you get to learn of your DoD rating of 30%? I received a call from ARPC, in which the Airman told me I was found unfit by the IPEB, but have not gotten any letter. I also have 20.5 TAFMS now, and am planning on putting in for a Regular retirement, bu not sure if I get a DoD rating if I select to just normally retire? I have a VA 80% rating now also.

With the good news responses above, hope you can now relax and enjoy the holidays.

kynchanted - what paperwork did you get to learn of your DoD rating of 30%? I received a call from ARPC, in which the Airman told me I was found unfit by the IPEB, but have not gotten any letter. I also have 20.5 TAFMS now, and am planning on putting in for a Regular retirement, bu not sure if I get a DoD rating if I select to just normally retire? I have a VA 80% rating now also.

Hi! So right after I got the email from AFPC I called my Peblo, and she had all of the med board ppwk with the VA ratings and DoD rating in her office. When you sign for the ratings and they officially notify you of the results in person your Peblo will give you copies of everything. I don't think you can regularly retire anymore if you already made it through the IPEB and are unfit (not sure though). From what my hubby is telling me (who is also AD) the difference between medical retirement and regular is that you will retire as your rank for pay purposes (e.g. Capt with 20 yrs) if medically retired while a regular retirement will get you high 3 pay.

From what my hubby is telling me (who is also AD) the difference between medical retirement and regular is that you will retire as your rank for pay purposes (e.g. Capt with 20 yrs) if medically retired while a regular retirement will get you high 3 pay.

Disability Retirement:
The basic retirement formula is:
Retired Pay Base X Multiplier percentage
Base: The retired pay base for a qualified disability retirement is determined under either the final pay method (uncommon now) or the high-36 month method depending upon when they first entered military service.​
High-3: If you entered active or reserve military service after September 7, 1980, your retired pay base is the average of the highest 36 months of basic pay. If you served less than three years, your base will be the average monthly active duty basic pay during your period of service.

Multiplier:

The multiplier percentage is at the option of the member who may chose either the percentage of disability assigned or the years of creditable service times 2.5%. In either case, the multiplier is limited to 75% by law.

CRDP, if eligible:
—Restores only the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retirement pay
—Does not restore the disability portion of waved retirement pay (i.e., amount in excess of dollar amount of longevity portion).
Note: Retired Pay is waived in the amount of VA compensation received.

Ron

Disability Retirement:
The basic retirement formula is:
Retired Pay Base X Multiplier percentage
Base: The retired pay base for a qualified disability retirement is determined under either the final pay method (uncommon now) or the high-36 month method depending upon when they first entered military service.​
High-3: If you entered active or reserve military service after September 7, 1980, your retired pay base is the average of the highest 36 months of basic pay. If you served less than three years, your base will be the average monthly active duty basic pay during your period of service.

Multiplier:

The multiplier percentage is at the option of the member who may chose either the percentage of disability assigned or the years of creditable service times 2.5%. In either case, the multiplier is limited to 75% by law.

CRDP, if eligible:
—Restores only the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retirement pay
—Does not restore the disability portion of waved retirement pay (i.e., amount in excess of dollar amount of longevity portion).
Note: Retired Pay is waived in the amount of VA compensation received.

Ron
Hypothetical theory only:

I received my Selection of Rights letter from ARPC with the Form 1180 where I have to elect agree or disagree with the IPEB findings of Unfit. I have 15 days to respond.

So between myself and kynchanted having enough TAFMS years (+20) for a regular retirement with a 2.5 percent multiplier being 50% for a Regular Retirement, the question could be, do we have any idea if our conditions would warrant a higher than 50% DoD rating, (i.e. 75- 100%) to increase our retirement pay for the rest of our lives? I know the DoD and VA use the VASRD to assign ratings to our conditions found unfitting (I believe mine says 30% for MS) but do the members at the FPEB take into account any other criteria, such as we have 'lost our jobs' to having a illness or disease that put us out? It might sound a bit greedy to want more (like Geico) but this situation we are in is permanent, and I would think anyone would try to give themselves the best outcome possible? It is a Merry Christmas.

This will be brief as i do not have my computer with me.

Opinion: The FPED will only consider only those condtions found unfitting. Period.

Keep in mind the waiver of retired pay as explained earlier.

CRDP will restore only the longevity portion of retired pay. Also, CRDP + residual retired pay (after VA offset) cannot exceed the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay.

Ron

@kynchanted the VA rated you at 70% for migraines? Did you have additional conditions that were claimed or did they feel that your conditions warranted a higher rating than the max of 50%? Congratulations on getting the answers you were looking for!

No, 30% migraines and 40% other medical conditions (tinnitus, bunions, IBS, and arthritis in my spine and neck). With migraines alone I should have rated at 50% (I met the criteria) but since I got 40% for things I wasn't planning on/didn't know about I didn't contest the rating.