AF Reservist Due For Reenlistment (MEB/PEB)

gd1959

PEB Forum Regular Member
Hi.

A friend of mine is a current reservist with the AFR and is coming up on 18 good years. He has a medical issue (knee) which is a LOD injury and was recently reviewed by a private ortho MD. If he presents the letter from the MD to the med group, likely result will be a "4T" profile (no points no pay) pending an MEB/PEB.

The sticky part, his current enlistment is up in January 2011 and he will need to reenlist or extend to get to 20 years. He may already have 18 or is very close (I know there are sanctuary issues at 18 years).

He wants to know whether to submit the doctor's report and if he does, could the MEB/PEB just let him ride out "4T" until his current enlistment is up and let him separate without an offer of early retirement?

Thanks in advance.

If he presents the letter from the MD to the med group, likely result will be a "4T" profile (no points no pay) pending an MEB/PEB.

Why do you think this is the case? What orders status was he on at the time of injury? I suspect he should be placed on active duty orders from the point he was injured. At a minimum he would get INCAP pay.

Hi, Jason. Thanks for your reply. I am trying to help a friend navigate this so I wanted to lay out as much as I know.

The original knee injury was a LOD injury quite a few years ago while he was on orders for annual tour. His orders were extended after the knee injury for a full year and all surgery/PT was done by military medical while on those orders. He did not receive any INCAP at that time. At the end of the year he was given the ok to go off of the orders and back to traditional reserve status with no restrictions. This happened perhaps 8 years ago. He does currently receive a 10% disability from the VA for the knee.

Recently the knee has become bothersome to him and he decided to get it looked at by a civilian doctor. The doctor has indicated that he would do a full knee replacement if my friend was 60, but since he's under 40 the doctor won't consider it. He has given my friend a letter with restrictions which he wants to provide to medical group to initiate a MEB or PEB for early retirement. Doctor says he's "bone-on-bone" and recommends restrictions which would likely place him on a "4T" status due to the duty limitations. I just went through this process with a non LOD and my knee is not nearly that bad. I was "4T" pending IPEB for 8 months. They are doing "4T" on most anyone right now with joint problems.

The issue right now is that before he submits this doctor's report, he has re-enlistment coming up in Jan 2011. He is right now about 18 years. Concern is if he submits this letter and gets a "4T" profile, would that mess up his ability to re-enlist and result in him just being separated in January with no retirement option? Also, would he be entitled to MEB/PEB for the knee since it's LOD and was treated by active duty AF? Should he use the findings of the civilian doctor on this LOD condition or go back to AF Med Group and have them evaluate?

I know, a lot of questions but I don't want him to get screwed over in this process.

Thanks!

Was there any aggravating injuries to the knee since the original period of orders?

Without diving into the substantive questions, why doesn't he just re-enlist now? I am not sure how the re-enlistment windows work in ARC, but he is now in a 6 month window for the end of his enlistment. Can he not just re-enlist?

HI Jason.

I mentioned this to him today but we both were concerned about how it would look to re-enlist/extend then immediately drop a medical profile on them.