AFI 41-210 question

Wolf

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Can anyone please help me in reading this section? And a definition of the term "rating" as it applies to AFI 41-210 would also be helpful. I think I'm getting screwed into a possible separation due to medical problems without the medical process. I'm on a timeline so quick help is really appriciated. Thanks.

AFI 41-210:

DAWG Screening of Initial RILO package. The PEBLO will assemble the (1) NARSUM and accompanying consults/studies; (2) current AF Form 469 (reviewed and dated by provider within 30 days prior to submission); and (3) commander‘s letter; the package will be reviewed at the DAWG meet ing. If desired by DAWG membership, the referring PCM/provider may attend to present the case and answer any questions. Categorization by the DAWG is as follows:
MEB Recommended. It is reasonably determined the member is most likely not capable of performing the duties of his/her office, grade, rank or rating. The package is forwarded to DPAMM by the PEBLO for adjudication. The standardized cover sheet checklist must be signed by the DAWG chair stating the package is MEB Recommended.
Return to Duty Recommended. Member has a condition which is listed in Chapter 5 of AFI 48-123 and/or has a potentially unfitting condition which may limit or preclude deployment, yet the member is most likely capable of performing the duties of his/her office, grade, rank or rating AND the condition(s) is/are stable, controlled, and with a low risk of sudden deterioration. The package is forwarded to DPAMM by the PEBLO for adjudication. The standardized cover sheet checklist must be signed by the DAWG chair stating the package is Return to Duty Recommended.

Rating is the term for the medical qualification for flying. A rated flyer usually implies a pilot, but it could also include a Navigator/WSO, Loadmaster, Air Traffic Controller (ATC), etc.

Can you be more specific about your question? What are your concerns? Are you facing possible admin sep?

I'm a pilot and that's how I read the term "rating" as well. That said, my local med group seems to read it as something else or that it doesn't matter due to my grade (O-4). I've been medical DQ'd from flying and am currently assigned to a school house - can't exactly perform in my primary duty. But when the RILO was held recently, the DAWG recommended return to duty and AFPC concurred. I was suggested to do an IG complaint by someone familiar with my case and the IG came back basically saying I didn't have a complaint - of course they had the regulation explained to them by the very people the complaint was against, so go figure.

Right now I have no clue what my future is, but with the downsizing I am worried they may look at a pilot who can't perform and separate me though no fault of my own. My goal has always been to do a full career, but for my family it's looking like a med board may have been the better option now - at least have some long-term benefits to be able to take care of them.

The reason the question was stated that way is I was trying to avoid biasing any readers to come to this conclusion. I'm just not having any luck finding an official interpretation with my channels so I decided to try this board as a starting place.