After 20 years service/med boarded, transferred to the Retired Reserves

JusticeForWoundedWarriors

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
A quick question. Received my 20 year letter, was medically discharged (informal board, 20% military disability, 30% VA disability), received my letter with the effective date of 28 February 2015 stating the following:

"You are discharged from the Army National Guard and assigned to component indicated on day following effective date

Reserve assignment: The Retired Reserve, 1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Dept 420, Ft. Knox, KY 40122-5402
Effective date: 28 February 2015
Type of discharge: Honorable (NGB Form 55B) (A)
Additional instructions:
RCN: NA
Assignment/Loss Code: MEDICAL, PHYSICAL OR MENTAL CONDITION RETENTION (MG)
Current Organization Identification Code: USAR CONTROL GROUP (RETIRED) (V)
SRIP: YES Termination: No"

Yesterday I went to my nearest CAC office, at the time DEERS didn't show anything about my military time/history, they inputted a few things in DEERS (not sure what?) and issued me my red (looks more pink than red) "UNITED STATES UNIFORMED SERVICES" U.S. ARMY RESERVE RETIRED card. There aren't any codes on it, for MEDICAL it lists DIRECT: NO, CIVILIAN: NO.

Were they premature in issuing me the card? As I went through the med board shouldn't there be some kind of codes indicating such? The CAC office wasn't too familiar with this, perhaps someone on here can offer answers.

Thanks...

Jason Perry

Benevolent Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Did you elect severance pay or transfer to retired reserve in lieu of severance at the PEB?

Jason Perry

Benevolent Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Doesn't sound like anything went wrong or they "prematurely" issued you a retired reserve ID Card.

What are your concerns with what happened or what is your goal?

wiko123

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
If you were Medically retired you should of gotten the BLUE ID card not the red one. Take your DA199 and separation orders that state you are medical (Chapter 61) retired back to DEERS and get the blue ID.

nwlivewire

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
If you were Medically retired you should of gotten the BLUE ID card not the red one. Take your DA199 and separation orders that state you are medical (Chapter 61) retired back to DEERS and get the blue ID.
I was medically retired from IDES and I also had a 20-year NG retirement letter.

I was issued a RED (pink looking) ID card.

The fellow that issued me the red card had to check with his supervisor to figure out what color of ID card to give me.

He came back and told me he was told to issue me a red one because I had a 20-year letter.

nwlivewire

Jason Perry

Benevolent Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
This is right.

Ed Mercanti

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I was never in the ID card business, but it would appear to me that you were administratively transferred to the retired reserve as a result of medical disqualification. Not as an operation of the IDES. When the IDES determined you were unfit you were given a choice of accepting disability severance pay or to waive the disability severance pay, get transferred to the retired reserve, and collect your retired pay at age 60. You opted for the latter. So I would imagine you would get a normal retired reserve (grey area) ID card.

Jason Perry

Benevolent Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Yes, the post from wiko123 is right as it refers to those who are retired under Chapter 61. (I did not re-read the OP's explanation of what actually happened, which is covered well by Ed Mercanti, above).

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">