After 8 months, finally got my findings. Now questions!

HCIC6Z

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Got my findings, rated 40% PDRL and 100% VA.

So my question is, do I try to appeal for a higher rating DoD, like to 50%? Because I'm happy with the 100% VA obviously. Other than getting my retirement benefits, do I get a check based on the 40%? I have 13.5 years in, Trying to figure out my income situation now ‍♂️

Most folks retired at less than 20 years, who are 100% VA end up drawing only their VA. Your situation would depend on your high-3. Is 40% of your high 3 great than your 100% VA?

@RonG is the best person to help you with financial calculations.

My VA compensation is far more. 40% of my high 3 comes to about $1510 a month.

Chaplaincharlie is correct about most folks who are 100% VA...

Since your VA comp is at least $3,057.13, your retired pay would have to be at least one dollar more than that amount in order to receive $1.

Per current law, you must waive retired pay dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received.

You are not eligible for CRDP which restores some or all of waived retired pay.

You might be eligible for CRSC which replaces some or all of retired pay that was waived and was associated with approved combat related disabilities.

See the following link for CRSC info: LINK TO CRSC INFO.

Ron

So the 40% is just a number and I don't get any compensation other than Tricare. The VA is the only income I will receive, correct?

So the 40% is just a number and I don't get any compensation other than Tricare. The VA is the only income I will receive, correct?
Yes, based on the info you provided. There are other, non-financial benefits for retired and/or disabled veterans. There is a large amount of info on the web about those opportunities.
For example, when I go to the San Antonio airport Saturday to pick up my son, I will not be charged for parking due to my disabilities.

There is an accounting for the 40%, but the result is zero retired pay since the VA comp far exceeds the retired pay and causes a total waiver.

Ron