Air Force / Fibromyalgia MEB

HLHL

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I'll try to make this short.

In 2015 I walked in on my wife cheating on me. Very traumatic and unexpected. After this I don't really remember the 6 months after that because depression and anxiety were overwhelming. At some point I started having severe migraines and stomach pain, along with body aches. It progressively got worse as time went on. Meanwhile I was attending therapy for (PTSD, anxiety, and depression).

Fast forward to 2019, I cross-trained into critically manned career field because I thought it would help with the condition's I was dealing with. Unfortunately this was not the case. My conditions got worse and I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. The pain is severe, the fatigue is extreme. I am always tired, in pain, exhausted, and currently very unhappy. After speaking with my PCM, and going under extensive lab tests to accurately diagnose my condition they landed on Fibromyalgia. It is so severe that I surely thought I might have had cancer or some type of brain tumor effecting my nervous system. None the less, I have all secondary conditions such as: IBS, TMJ, Migraines, Body pain, Fatigue, Complex Sleep Apnea, Memory loss, Confusion, urination frequency, blurry vision, dry eyes.

There is a huge list of medications I have tried, none seem to help. I currently am on Cymbalta, Flexeril, Lyrica, welbutrion. None have helped.

I have also been on a PT profile for the last 2 years. I am also on a mobility restriction until my condition resolves. I was recently referred to MEB and awaiting the decision for full MEB or return to duty. I was reffered for Fibro, anxiety, and depression. My command agrees that it would be in my best interest to leave the service. My commander recommended "do not retain". My Mental health and PCM providers agree that moving on from the service would be best.

Right now, I am trying to minimize the stressors in my life to help combat this illness. I believe the military is hindering my progress, which tears me up inside because I like servicing in the Air Force and my job inst too difficult. I have 7 years in service and I just tested for Tech... However, I do look forward to having the support of my family.

If you would of told me 5 years ago I would have all these problems, I would have laughed in your face. I always viewed myself as extremely healthy, and fit. I love going to the gym and eating healthy,... now I struggle to put my boots on in the morning. I hope no one feels as bad as I do.

What have you done to help coop with you pain? Has Anything helped? What outcome can I expect from the MEB?

@Fibrogirl - can you provide any insight to this?

I'm sorry all of this hit you like a ton of bricks. Keep fighting the fight. There is a ton of support for people getting medically separated. It might also help to start thinking about what you are going to do on the outside as it sounds like you will most likely be non-retained.

Hi! Sorry that you are going through this.
From what I’ve seen, and from personal experience, most people with fibro are not retained. If you have not already, I would definitely look into the military disability made easy website, it’ll help you determine possible conditions you can claim for your VA claim when you go through the MEB and will help you determine what your percentage may be.
(remember DOD will only rate you on the conditions you are being referred for,VA will rate you on ALL conditions you claim, therefore CLAIM EVERYTHING you can)
Also, to prep for getting out, go through TAPS ASAP, it’ll make your outprocessing go much faster once you get your MEB decision.

I think you might benefit from one or more of the strategies on the website linked below:
Find an activity you like and commit do it for two weeks.

Many people blow off these type of therapies. But research has shown them to be very helpful with pain. Many people talk about mind, body, and spirit; but we are one. Your traumatic experience is may be related to many of your problems. Calming the spirit is important to feeling better.

Best wishes

I think you might benefit from one or more of the strategies on the website linked below:
Find an activity you like and commit do it for two weeks.

Many people blow off these type of therapies. But research has shown them to be very helpful with pain. Many people talk about mind, body, and spirit; but we are one. Your traumatic experience is may be related to many of your problems. Calming the spirit is important to feeling better.

Best wishes

Very true, but its quit difficult to calm down when your living the military lifestyle. At this point it is very hard for me to do literally anything. All I have been doing is sleeping.

Believe me you are not alone. My symptoms started showing in 2009 and was diagnosed in 2015. I just started terminal leave 3 weeks ago with a medical retirement from the USMC after 20.3 years. If you have any questions or need to vent, hit me up. I've been exactly where you are. I tried all the medications youre on right now. What I have settled on is Low-Dose Naltrexone (4.5 mgs for FM), Lyrica (FM), Prozac, and Adderall (helps a lot with constant fatigue). I also get Ketamine infusions every 2 weeks (Cycles though). If you havent been offered/didnt take Ketamine infusions, I would look in to them. The infusion center at the Naval Hospital gets recommendations from the Pain Management at the same hospital so you just have to talk to PM. But, for me, those gave me one full day of absolutely no pain and about a week of having an improved mood, so I cannot recommend them enough. Cymbalta and wellbutrin did nothing to help me. I AM NOT A DOCTOR. But I think if you adjust those you will feel a lot better so that is one option you can speak with your doctors about. Being able to spread out the flares is the biggest goal. Again, you are not alone even though you feel like it. If you have any questions at all, I just finished the PEB for Fibro, Anxiety/Depression, etc but mine was USMC/USN so its a little different. From what I've seen, the AF is much faster than the Navy once you are in the process. Anyways, I'm rambling, have a great weekend!

Believe me you are not alone. My symptoms started showing in 2009 and was diagnosed in 2015. I just started terminal leave 3 weeks ago with a medical retirement from the USMC after 20.3 years. If you have any questions or need to vent, hit me up. I've been exactly where you are. I tried all the medications youre on right now. What I have settled on is Low-Dose Naltrexone (4.5 mgs for FM), Lyrica (FM), Prozac, and Adderall (helps a lot with constant fatigue). I also get Ketamine infusions every 2 weeks (Cycles though). If you havent been offered/didnt take Ketamine infusions, I would look in to them. The infusion center at the Naval Hospital gets recommendations from the Pain Management at the same hospital so you just have to talk to PM. But, for me, those gave me one full day of absolutely no pain and about a week of having an improved mood, so I cannot recommend them enough. Cymbalta and wellbutrin did nothing to help me. I AM NOT A DOCTOR. But I think if you adjust those you will feel a lot better so that is one option you can speak with your doctors about. Being able to spread out the flares is the biggest goal. Again, you are not alone even though you feel like it. If you have any questions at all, I just finished the PEB for Fibro, Anxiety/Depression, etc but mine was USMC/USN so its a little different. From what I've seen, the AF is much faster than the Navy once you are in the process. Anyways, I'm rambling, have a great weekend!

Hey, thanks for the reply! I really appreciate the support. Did they lump you anxiety and depression together? My unfitting conditions are Fibro, Anxiety, depression and somatic disorder.

All of the mental health are rated together. So I was referred for the fibro and mental health (Depression/Anxiety/PTSD/TBI) are all kind of rolled in to one rating with subtle differences. You can look at the DBQs for each condition and see exactly what they are looking at. I was only found unfit for the fibro though.

I'll try to make this short.

In 2015 I walked in on my wife cheating on me. Very traumatic and unexpected. After this I don't really remember the 6 months after that because depression and anxiety were overwhelming. At some point I started having severe migraines and stomach pain, along with body aches. It progressively got worse as time went on. Meanwhile I was attending therapy for (PTSD, anxiety, and depression).

Fast forward to 2019, I cross-trained into critically manned career field because I thought it would help with the condition's I was dealing with. Unfortunately this was not the case. My conditions got worse and I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. The pain is severe, the fatigue is extreme. I am always tired, in pain, exhausted, and currently very unhappy. After speaking with my PCM, and going under extensive lab tests to accurately diagnose my condition they landed on Fibromyalgia. It is so severe that I surely thought I might have had cancer or some type of brain tumor effecting my nervous system. None the less, I have all secondary conditions such as: IBS, TMJ, Migraines, Body pain, Fatigue, Complex Sleep Apnea, Memory loss, Confusion, urination frequency, blurry vision, dry eyes.

There is a huge list of medications I have tried, none seem to help. I currently am on Cymbalta, Flexeril, Lyrica, welbutrion. None have helped.

I have also been on a PT profile for the last 2 years. I am also on a mobility restriction until my condition resolves. I was recently referred to MEB and awaiting the decision for full MEB or return to duty. I was reffered for Fibro, anxiety, and depression. My command agrees that it would be in my best interest to leave the service. My commander recommended "do not retain". My Mental health and PCM providers agree that moving on from the service would be best.

Right now, I am trying to minimize the stressors in my life to help combat this illness. I believe the military is hindering my progress, which tears me up inside because I like servicing in the Air Force and my job inst too difficult. I have 7 years in service and I just tested for Tech... However, I do look forward to having the support of my family.

If you would of told me 5 years ago I would have all these problems, I would have laughed in your face. I always viewed myself as extremely healthy, and fit. I love going to the gym and eating healthy,... now I struggle to put my boots on in the morning. I hope no one feels as bad as I do.

What have you done to help coop with you pain? Has Anything helped? What outcome can I expect from the MEB?
Another idea would to talk to your provider about the Fischer Wallace simulator. It is FDA approved for insomnia, depression, anxiety and pain. There are not very expensive and don't have the effects of medication.

Another idea would to talk to your provider about the Fischer Wallace simulator. It is FDA approved for insomnia, depression, anxiety and pain. There are not very expensive and don't have the effects of medication.

I had no idea that excited till now, I will deff ask about it! Ill give anything a try at this point!

Your welcome