Air Force Reserve Line of Duty

SuperStarAdam

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I know this is supposed to be for Army, but I did not find one for Air Force.

I submitted a LOD back in October/November 2017 after fighting with the LOD- MPF and not sending me the correct information. I have seen 5 doctors and been diagnosed with Tendinitis in both of my ankles and Neuralgia in my right ankle. After covering all the medical costs for the last year I have been told that my LOD has still not been forwarded to my commander and that Medical will review it when they get a chance. I have been told repeatedly by my supervisor that it could take up to a year for them to complete the process, but according to the AFI its "supposed" to be completed within 85 days. I am frustrated as I was out of work through my civilian job for 5 1/2 months and am struggling with the medical debt and the financial debt.

If anyone has any advice as to what I can do to speed up the process or if they have had any experience with their unit prolonging your LOD I would appreciate it.

I also shortened my story a lot, if you need clarification or more information I'll gladly.

Thank you

Greetings. I am also in the USAFR. My initial "informal" LOD (for breast cancer diagnosed while deployed" took upwards of a year to get completed. I have appealed the initial finding and am going on month 4 without hearing anything. My recommendation is to ask your commander to check in the computer system for where your LOD is in the process.
I will PM you for clarification on your situation.

I contacted my supervisor this past week and the response I received was "the LOD is still at medical and will be looked at when they have the time" meaning that they haven't even taken the time to evaluate me. The AFI states by the next UTA, but they didn't when I shoved the AFI in their face and told me that I just have to wait.

I would definitely file an IG Report (and make sure you keep a copy of the report/file number). “When they have time” is simply not acceptable.

I would definitely file an IG Report (and make sure you keep a copy of the report/file number). “When they have time” is simply not acceptable.

That is what I was looking into doing. I thought it was unacceptable and its been the about the same answers I have been getting since I started this. It took me 3 months to find out that they needed paperwork from me because they emailed my AF email and not my civilian when I was put on p-4 and had no way to access it.

I tried to contact the units IG and was told they are reservist, so I called AFRC and their phone just continued to disconnect....Now I have contacted the IG for the Secretary of the Air Force

I finally got contacted back by the IG. They are currently reviewing everything and after I told her the story of my whole injury she is contacting my units commander, Chief, supervisor and the LoD- MPF. It has been approximately 111 days since I turned the paperwork over to the LOD- MPF and it still has yet to reach my commander.

Good morning,

I contacted the IG and after about a couple weeks they finally responded. I was told on Feb 14,19 I would receive a call shortly from my commander with the update on whether it was approved or denied. Its been almost 30 days now and I received a text from my supervisor stating he has no updates for me. I am frustrated as the IG wasn't very helpful and now I feel I am back to square one.

Any more advice I can use pleas help.

Attachments

• lod.pdf
    101.1 KB · Views: 8
I am an Air Force reservist as well. In regards to line of duty, I have had a few injuries in the last few years. Only once has the term LOD come up. I was told by the medical NCO Major so-in-so will be handling the LOD. Nobody ever explained what is or what needed to be done. Is the AF required to do a line of duty for each accident/injury?

I am an Air Force reservist as well. In regards to line of duty, I have had a few injuries in the last few years. Only once has the term LOD come up. I was told by the medical NCO Major so-in-so will be handling the LOD. Nobody ever explained what is or what needed to be done. Is the AF required to do a line of duty for each accident/injury?

In the Army National Guard, the units readiness NCO (AGR) submits the LOD packet with the 1SG and CO’s approval. This package goes to the states surgeon general for approval. There are informal LOD’s (no investigation needed) and formal LOD’s (needs investigation).

Having a tick removed during a field exercise is an injury and requires being documented.

The Army Guard came out with a regulation that allows two years for an LOD to be drawn up and approved, any longer than two years from the injury and you can no longer file for an LOD.

In the Army National Guard, the units readiness NCO (AGR) submits the LOD packet with the 1SG and CO’s approval. This package goes to the states surgeon general for approval. There are informal LOD’s (no investigation needed) and formal LOD’s (needs investigation).

Having a tick removed during a field exercise is an injury and requires being documented.
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. It was a big help.

I know this is supposed to be for Army, but I did not find one for Air Force.

I submitted a LOD back in October/November 2017 after fighting with the LOD- MPF and not sending me the correct information. I have seen 5 doctors and been diagnosed with Tendinitis in both of my ankles and Neuralgia in my right ankle. After covering all the medical costs for the last year I have been told that my LOD has still not been forwarded to my commander and that Medical will review it when they get a chance. I have been told repeatedly by my supervisor that it could take up to a year for them to complete the process, but according to the AFI its "supposed" to be completed within 85 days. I am frustrated as I was out of work through my civilian job for 5 1/2 months and am struggling with the medical debt and the financial debt.

If anyone has any advice as to what I can do to speed up the process or if they have had any experience with their unit prolonging your LOD I would appreciate it.

I also shortened my story a lot, if you need clarification or more information I'll gladly.

Thank you

There are several different types of LODs but non of them shouldn't take that long to accomplish. I was in a similar situation and was told over and over again they where working on it when I returned from a deployment. Then they tried to kick me out without any benefits. I ended up having to file a congressional to get it all resolved. Defiantly don't wait any longer. You should go and file a claim with the VA right away in e benefits too. That way when you get your paperwork they will back pay you and you could possibly get a VA temp 100% for the time you where recovering.

The LOD process for the Guard/reserve is really screwed up and if you don't made a big deal out of getting the paperwork it just doesn't get accomplished.

There are several different types of LODs but non of them shouldn't take that long to accomplish. I was in a similar situation and was told over and over again they where working on it when I returned from a deployment. Then they tried to kick me out without any benefits. I ended up having to file a congressional to get it all resolved. Defiantly don't wait any longer. You should go and file a claim with the VA right away in e benefits too. That way when you get your paperwork they will back pay you and you could possibly get a VA temp 100% for the time you where recovering.

The LOD process for the Guard/reserve is really screwed up and if you don't made a big deal out of getting the paperwork it just doesn't get accomplished.
Without an LOD will injuries incurred at UTA or annual tour be looked at for rating purposes?

Typically they only look at anything that was on your active duty record or anything on UTA or Annual that has a LOD. A LOD is very important

Im also fighting with my base as I'm going though the IDES getting conditions linked to my active service accident. Time will tell but I will definitely look out for my best interest and those of my family. Something my medical told me is if there is enough proof of an in-service injury going with informal LOD is the best and how my case will be handled. I don't know what's best but going off what I've been told.

Last edited:
Back