Air National Guard MEB

YimmyC

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hey all - new to the forums and have been browsing around a lot lately and learning what I can here and there. There isn’t much information out there from/for Dual-Status Air National Guard members - so I figured I’d share what little knowledge I have and my timeline so far. It’s not much, but it’s all I have.

Up front: I’m a full time Federal Technician, and E7 on the military side with almost 18 years military service under my belt. no clue who my PEBLO is, or when they’re assigned (or even what that role is). My only visibility of my current package progress is from repeated questions to my base medical office.

===Timeline ===
October 28,2016 - return from Turkey deployment with major sleep issues

February 11, 2017 - Contacted Air National Guard medical about ideations

March 27, 2017 - VA Medical Registration

April 10, 2017 - VA Disability Intent to File

April 25, 2017 - Military AD Medical Appointment #1 (guard driven)

May 16, 2017 - Military AD Medical Appointment #2 (guard driven)

July 14 - VA Hearing Test

August 25, 2017 - Military AD Medical Appointment #3 (guard driven). Told they were deeming me ‘unfit’ for my current job due to mental state and medications.

September 12, 2017 - VA Psychiatrist (diagnosed BiPolar and PTSD).

September 23, 2017 - VA C&P Audio

September 29, 2017 - VA C&P MH

October 5, 2017 - VA C&P Physical

October 23, 2017 - VA Disability rating returned @ 80%.
* 70% - “Unspecified bipolar disorder and other specified trauma and stressor related disorder (claimed as anxiety, insomnia and depression).
* 10% - Sciatica, Left
* 10% - Tinnitus

November 02, 2017 - Package left NGB —> IPEM(IPEB?). Found out after asking multiple people and getting the run-around.

Any idea/experience of what the next steps are? Any comments, suggestions, and/or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

/J

That's a pretty quick turn, especially for the ANG. PM me if you want. We are almost identical situations.

Did your symptoms start on title 10 orders. Or maybe I should ask how long did your deployment last in Turkey

Your HR department will give you a full set of rules and regulations on retiring on the fers sid, as far as disability.

Did your symptoms start on title 10 orders. Or maybe I should ask how long did your deployment last in Turkey
Deno - thanks for the info. The deployment was 6 months, and the sleeping disorder started during the trip. My HR department got me the info on the Technician disability retirement numbers and such. I'll see about asking if I'm in the IDES process. I'll keep ya in the loop with what I find out

Have you had a meeting with your commander or your direct supervisor. My understanding is the commander will have to write a letter on how your current condition affects your job.

Have you had a meeting with your commander or your direct supervisor. My understanding is the commander will have to write a letter on how your current condition affects your job.
Yes! Had a meeting with him around April 20th and we discussed the letter and it’s significancw. He gave me the option of which direction to write it.. either ‘we can’t do the mission without hom’ Or ‘his condition is hindering the mission’. Not sure how much sway his letter has in the long run..

HRO gave me the briefing back in April as well about my disability retirement, and how it drops after the first year. But with that and the 80% VA, it’s not looking too shabby. Just need to focus on keeping my next job below the 80% threshold of what I’m making now. It’ll be a balancing act until I find another solid career that I can hold down with the BiPolar crap.

Received my 356 today - not service connected. Called the OAC, as well as asked my Clinic & supervision why I don’t have a PEBLO yet

Sgt Zo - I’m already collecting, so I don’t think that can/will change since they’re completely different systems (VA and DOD). The not service connected part is what I’m wanting to fight - they’re basically saying that nothing on that deployment lead to or aggravated my condition. Pretty sure it’s becaise My base medical never did an LOD (now that my learning more about the process).

Sgt Zo - I’m already collecting, so I don’t think that can/will change since they’re completely different systems (VA and DOD). The not service connected part is what I’m wanting to fight - they’re basically saying that nothing on that deployment lead to or aggravated my condition. Pretty sure it’s becaise My base medical never did an LOD (now that my learning more about the process).

If your issues happened on title 10 orders and you were diagnosed on title 10 orders. I don’t see the issue with your unit completeling a LOD. But heaven forbid they do a little extra paperwork.