Am I suppose to see the Commander's letter...

ARNG:(

Registered Member
I have always been told that I should get a copy of everything and thus far I have. The only thing I have not gotten or seen is the commander's letter. I was told by my PEBLO that I will not get to see it until the MEB is complete. Is this true or am I being screwed once again from the VA and Military?

I was CC'd on an electronic copy when mine was submitted to the PEBLO... pretty sure that was more of a courtesy from my CO and not directed by policy, however before signing and submitting my MEBR, I was afforded an opportunity to review and receive a copy of any and all documentation included. Again, not sure if this is policy.

If your PEBLO is unwilling to provide you with a copy of the NMA, would it be unreasonable in your situation to simply request a copy from the authority who wrote yours?

My PEBLO said she wasn't able to give me a copy until after the MEB. Ask your Commander if you're on good terms with them. If you were on REALLY good terms, you would likely have seen the letter already because you had written it for them.......

As long as you are using the word MEB correctly, yes, you aren't given a copy until the MEB is complete. When you get the NARSUM they will use it in their write-up so you need it to know if it was sufficient or you need to create additional documentation to support an accurate non-medical assessment. So the question comes to do you want/need to see it or are you just being overly cautious?

I don't can't think of any possible reason a PEBLO would have for not providing it early. It goes through the PEBLO, so there would be no reason why they wouldn't have a copy. Maybe the PEBLO sent along the only copy? Maybe the PEBLO is wondering why you're worried about it and doesn't want to do extra work? I imagine PEBLOs get asked for things all the time that don't matter so they'd get used to just telling people no. If you had a real need to see it, its information about you, I don't think they really aren't allowed to give it to you.

If you have a good reason to suspect the commander's letter is insufficient, I'd try to find other people you work with to write up a good assessment regardless of the actual contents. If you think it will likely be unimportant or in your favor, I'd probably just wait until the NARSUM is done and get it at the proper time.

I have always been told that I should get a copy of everything and thus far I have. The only thing I have not gotten or seen is the commander's letter. I was told by my PEBLO that I will not get to see it until the MEB is complete. Is this true or am I being screwed once again from the VA and Military?
The new commanders impact statement you have to sign, and can write your opinion aswell

The new form is an improvement, but the old practice of withholding the letter from members was probably unlawful.

The new form in on AFPUBS

You are welcome

I am new to the forums and process. I was placed in a code 37 status back in july after a referral to the DAWG and told shortly after I was being pushed for a MEB. The form for my commander was actually sent to the wrong squadron (gotta love it) and sat there for god knows how long before my commander actually received it. I suffer from horrible migraines and have 3 herniated disc in my back from a fall I took on the job from about 25 ft. So with all that said she knows that my time is coming to an end and called me into her office to ask me if pushing for medical retirement/separation was what I really wanted to which I replied yes. She showed me the form and how she filled it out and that she would mark do no retain. Again she is a great commander and knows that I basically can't continue military services, my prior commanders just keep marking retain because of my "great impact to the mission" and I never even knew I was being referred to the DAWG......I was referred 3 times before I got a new commander and referred the 4th time when she shared all this with me.