Am I understanding this correctly?

When referred for MEB for condition "A" does the DoD also look at other documented conditions to determine if you meet retention standards (MEB) then fit/ unfit (PEB)? Currently, have 1 condition referred for MEB but I have a few other significant documented health conditions. I know the VA will look at all conditions but am clarifying if DoD also reviews the other conditions to determine medical retention standards and fit/unfit or does the DoD just the one(s) that initiated the MEB? Thanks.

When referred for MEB for condition "A" does the DoD also look at other documented conditions to determine if you meet retention standards (MEB) then fit/ unfit (PEB)? Currently, have 1 condition referred for MEB but I have a few other significant documented health conditions. I know the VA will look at all conditions but am clarifying if DoD also reviews the other conditions to determine medical retention standards and fit/unfit or does the DoD just the one(s) that initiated the MEB? Thanks.
lucky208, DoD just the one(s) that initiated the MEB to my knowledge and my experience. The IPEB determined the "unfitting" conditions, then sends the VA to package for any VA actions. VA rates any and all conditions, then sends back the ratings to IPEB. IPEB uses the ratings on the "unfitting conditions" and determines the DOD rating. If you disagree with the IPEB, then you can request a FPEB. Just my experience so take it for what it is worth and there may be exceptions that I am not aware of. If you have questions you should contact the PEBLO and/or legal council. Remember the PEBLO represents the government.

Thanks for the reply. I thought I had a handle on the process but I'm still a bit uncertain. I will address the questions with the PEBLO but wanted to have a solid understanding before the train gets moving. Ok so what you stated above is that the MEB only looks at those conditions that initiated the MEB to determine if you meet retention standards. What if you have other conditions that may not meet retention standards does the MEB not consider those conditions?

I was under the assumption that the MEB reviewed your entire Medical file after you complete all medical exams (reviewing all conditions) then made the determination which conditions you presently have that don't meet service specific medical retention standards Then they (MEB) forwards to the IPEB all of your conditions that don't meet retention standards and the IPEB determines which of those conditions qualify as fit or unfit. Meanwhile the VA makes a determination on all of your conditions using the VARSD Codes. I may be talking in circles, just trying to figure it all out. Anyway, thanks for the input and thanks for the members of this forum that provide an invaluable service as we navigate the next chapter of our lives.

The PEB is suppose to consider all conditions!

I think I found the reference to support the claim that the MEB does infact review all conditions (the condition that caused the MEB referral and any other conditions). Correct me if I am off target, but the more claims that the MEB finds medically unacceptable means the PEB will have more claims to possibly consider unfit.

E3.P1.2.3. Content. MEBs, TDRL physical examinations, and Reserve component physical examinations shall document the full clinical information of all medical conditions the Service member has and state whether each condition is cause for referral into the DES.

This referernce is Army specific but I'm sure the other services have their own version, according to AR 635-40 Disability Evaluation for Retention, Retirement, or Separation.

4–7. Policy a. An MEB is convened to determine whether a Soldier’s medical condition(s) meets medical retention standards per AR 40–501.

If this is the case, why are some people stating that the MEB only looks at 1 condition or the condition that initiated the MEB?