ANG reservist seeking MEB / IDES guidance

Hello to all,

I'm new to the forum and I am hoping to get some advice and questions answered. So here we go- I'm a 22 yr. Veteran (Desert Shield /Desert Storm / Operation Southern Watch) who currently is in the Air National Guard. After receiving poor care benefits from my unit and Tri-Care for my lumbar line of duty injury I went to the VA and initiated a claim for all my issues. I was recently rated by the VA for several issues listed below. Due to the most recent injuries herniated disc and reoccurring ankle sprain with painful motion (both injuries documented on LOD's) I'm no longer able to perform my PT test. I'm currently on my 2nd failure. Although my unit has agreed to submit my file to a MEB (PTSD, Lumber, and Ankle) I feel they are dragging their feet. My PTSD stems from active duty during desert shield/desert storm. I'm told the packet should be submitted sometime within the next month. They are awaiting for the signed/approved LOD for PTSD. It's been over 18 months since I started this process.

My VA ratings are as follows:
PTSD-30% (LOD being approved)
Psudeofiliculitus Barbae-30%
Lumbar-20% (LOD)
Ankle-10% (LOD)
Tinnitus-10%

Since I was recently awarded the above ratings, will I have to go through a long drawn out process of being reevaluated. It could take over another year and I'm at the end of my rope. Do i have to appear before a panel and answer questions or be seen by more doctors. I'm broken and feel useless to the military. Not to mention the stigma that goes with PTSD. Unit members look down on anyone who claims or mentions PTSD. It always seems to get out to members about people getting medically retired. People don't understand what its like. Since I already have my VA ratings, will it be faster? If they do additional C&P exams, can they change my ratings to a lower or higher rating? Can anyone please clarify process for someone in my situation. How long? What expect? Is the military going to try and disprove what my injuries/issues that I'm suffering? Are they going to be understanding and helpful with getting me through the process with the least amount of stress? I understand the process for someone in my situation as a traditional guardsman can be different from someone on active duty. Any advice or experiences you may have had would give me some insight as what to expect. Many thanks!

First of all, you need to be on a profile that limits you from doing PT test if you can't because of a medical condition. You don't want to mess around with failing PT tests.

If a med board is initiated on you, yes, the VA will perform new C&P's on you. And, yes, your rating could change. Not to my knowledge will you have to appear before a panel to answer questions unless you appeal the PEB's decision.

There's no way to know how your unit, medical providers and anyone else you encounter during a possible med board process is going to treat you. We hope that they would be profession but ya never know.

8-12 months is kinda the standard for med board.

Hello to all,

I'm new to the forum and I am hoping to get some advice and questions answered. So here we go- I'm a 22 yr. Veteran (Desert Shield /Desert Storm / Operation Southern Watch) who currently is in the Air National Guard. After receiving poor care benefits from my unit and Tri-Care for my lumbar line of duty injury I went to the VA and initiated a claim for all my issues. I was recently rated by the VA for several issues listed below. Due to the most recent injuries herniated disc and reoccurring ankle sprain with painful motion (both injuries documented on LOD's) I'm no longer able to perform my PT test. I'm currently on my 2nd failure. Although my unit has agreed to submit my file to a MEB (PTSD, Lumber, and Ankle) I feel they are dragging their feet. My PTSD stems from active duty during desert shield/desert storm. I'm told the packet should be submitted sometime within the next month. They are awaiting for the signed/approved LOD for PTSD. It's been over 18 months since I started this process.

My VA ratings are as follows:
PTSD-30% (LOD being approved)
Psudeofiliculitus Barbae-30%
Lumbar-20% (LOD)
Ankle-10% (LOD)
Tinnitus-10%

Since I was recently awarded the above ratings, will I have to go through a long drawn out process of being reevaluated. It could take over another year and I'm at the end of my rope. Do i have to appear before a panel and answer questions or be seen by more doctors. I'm broken and feel useless to the military. Not to mention the stigma that goes with PTSD. Unit members look down on anyone who claims or mentions PTSD. It always seems to get out to members about people getting medically retired. People don't understand what its like. Since I already have my VA ratings, will it be faster? If they do additional C&P exams, can they change my ratings to a lower or higher rating? Can anyone please clarify process for someone in my situation. How long? What expect? Is the military going to try and disprove what my injuries/issues that I'm suffering? Are they going to be understanding and helpful with getting me through the process with the least amount of stress? I understand the process for someone in my situation as a traditional guardsman can be different from someone on active duty. Any advice or experiences you may have had would give me some insight as what to expect. Many thanks!

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

To the extent of encouragement, please remain positively proactive throughout your interactions to ensure the best possible solution(s) for yourself and your loved ones. I would offer that you continue to make the necessary inquiries until receipt of positive feedback which you feel are helpful resolutions.

Nonetheless, never default acceptance to potential injustice while championing for well-earned and well-deserve military healthcare benefits now and after military separation/retirement. As the historical statement goes..."you only have one LIFE to live"...and it's best to maximize all healthcare treatment opportunities while you are capable.

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

I am a reservist as well. It took from April 2010 to Oct 2012 for my situation to go from "initiated at unit level" to "PEBLO" level. What have I learned? NEVER assume your unit knows what they are doing. Most do not. I truly believe that the majority do not ever realize reservists/NG can go thru this process (and in the end pull retirement early). They will spend the majority of the time trying to figure out WHAT they are supposed to do. Make sure all of you stuff is in order (profiles, LOD, etc.) and then if you still feel like you are not getting assistance from the unit, don't hesitate to take it to the next level (higher HQ, ombudsman, etc.) But do your research and know what you are talking about. (these forums are priceless!)
What do you mean "18 months"??
Best advise is stick to these forums! Yes...you will def. have to go thru the VA again.....which is a real "hiccup" in the system for those of us who have already been thru the process. But it can't be avoided and truly can be an advantage... As you will see on here over and over and OVER....it is a very stressful process. Just make sure you have a well-equipped "toolbox"!!

Technically, the MTF/military treatment providers should be "initiating" not the unit. (Though, the Army has this strange process for reservists routing cases through Pinellas Park, FL for review).

It remains to be seen how it will work out if "normal" VA rating is higher than "new" proposed ratings through the IDES. (I say that because I don't think this issue has been addressed by the Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims yet- I think normal rules for lowering ratings will apply and absent a dramatic improvement, most cases will resolve in favor of the IDES member/Veteran).

The strange process for the Reserves....is that there IS no clear-cut process. It remains to be clearly dictated how it should be handled .... and everyone is lost...even the highest of the high commanders. It is still less common for reservist to go thru this process....which makes it even harder for those of us in the middle of it trying to find our way! 3 years ago my unit was going to send me to the IRR because I did not have a valid slot....I requested the MEB. (I had 2 "3"s in my PUHLES....and that is suppose to automatically trigger an MEB for the soldier, but again, very rarely happens). Most of these soldiers (with 3s) are medically discharged, sent to the grey area, IRR, and never know that the MEB is something they should consider.

I am a reservist as well. It took from April 2010 to Oct 2012 for my situation to go from "initiated at unit level" to "PEBLO" level. What have I learned? NEVER assume your unit knows what they are doing. Most do not. I truly believe that the majority do not ever realize reservists/NG can go thru this process (and in the end pull retirement early). They will spend the majority of the time trying to figure out WHAT they are supposed to do. Make sure all of you stuff is in order (profiles, LOD, etc.) and then if you still feel like you are not getting assistance from the unit, don't hesitate to take it to the next level (higher HQ, ombudsman, etc.) But do your research and know what you are talking about. (these forums are priceless!)
What do you mean "18 months"??
Best advise is stick to these forums! Yes...you will def. have to go thru the VA again.....which is a real "hiccup" in the system for those of us who have already been thru the process. But it can't be avoided and truly can be an advantage... As you will see on here over and over and OVER....it is a very stressful process. Just make sure you have a well-equipped "toolbox"!!

It's been a year now since my last post. I am still awaiting for the MEB process to be initiated. Members within repeatedly tell me the PTSD LOD paperwork was forwarded to Headquarters and it hasn't come back with the final approval. I have made multiple inquires with no success. I'm Looking for guidance or suggestions. I am trying not to flip out... Has anyone experienced any similar issues? I feel as though members who are supposed to be helping me with the process would rather I just walk away and retire. It has been suggested as an option multiple times. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

It's been a year now since my last post. I am still awaiting for the MEB process to be initiated. Members within repeatedly tell me the PTSD LOD paperwork was forwarded to Headquarters and it hasn't come back with the final approval. I have made multiple inquires with no success. I'm Looking for guidance or suggestions. I am trying not to flip out... Has anyone experienced any similar issues? I feel as though members who are supposed to be helping me with the process would rather I just walk away and retire. It has been suggested as an option multiple times. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

From my experiences within the US Army, indeed, it seemed to be the situation while within the DoD IDES MEB/PEB unfortunately! Otherwise, I haven't any additional comments from an ANG reservist perspective unfortunately. :(

Nonetheless, please remain strong and stay focus on the "big" picture of potential outcomes while in the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process. Take care and continue to enjoy life! :cool:

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Indeed, you are quite welcome! ;) Take care and continue to enjoy life! :D

Best Wishes!
Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Indeed, you are quite welcome! ;) Take care and continue to enjoy life! :D

Best Wishes!

Finally started the MEB process. I met with my Peblo and had first Dr. appointment on same day. I wasn't put on orders for travel to the appointments. Anyone know what the process is for reservists/guardsmen for attending appointments for the MEB process.

Finally started the MEB process. I met with my Peblo and had first Dr. appointment on same day. I wasn't put on orders for travel to the appointments. Anyone know what the process is for reservists/guardsmen for attending appointments for the MEB process.

Wow, it has been a long waiting period albeit this is definitely good news! :)

As such, remaining "positively proactive" resulted in this favorable action to date with many more on the horizon while in the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process in my direct opinion!

Despite the advances in modern medicine and all of your best efforts to date, it was finally determined that you cannot be returned to a full-duty status. Due to this unfortunate medical occurrence, it was necessary for you to be referred to the Integrated Disability Evaluation System (IDES).

To that extent, the IDES process begins whenever a military service member's medical provider(s) determine that the military service member's ability to continue military service is questionable due to a physical or mental impairment. It is the impact of the medical condition(s) upon the military service member ability to perform duties appropriate to his or her rank and job skill that is important.

In addition, it is important to remember that the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process is a performance-based system with an officially published timeline. That said, I would like to direct your attention to my PEB Forum URL thread for a detailed explanation about the entire DoD IDES process as follows:

http://www.pebforum.com/site/threads/a-detailed-explanation-of-the-dod-ides-meb-peb-process.22807/

With that all said, please continue to remain "positively proactive" while in the DoD IDES process! At this point, never default acceptance to any injustices; fight then continue to fight some more until receipt of your desired expectations supportive via medical evidence and/or medical documentation!

Indeed, take care, please continue to get well, and most importantly enjoy life! :cool:

Best Wishes!

Are you a part-timer of full-time? I'm assuming you are traveling outside of your local area to see the PEBLO? Just like with treatments under your LOD, you should be on a pay status for any official appointments related to that. I just began the MEB process as well, and I've seen/heard it several times how all appointments are mandatory. Theoretically, they can't make something mandatory unless you are on orders. Unfortunately, I've had to go down this road myself for when I was traveling to San Antonio for treatment of my injury. Everyone I'd talk to agreed I should be on orders, but I'd get a "deer in the headlight" look from them when I would ask them to put me on orders. Nobody knew who was going to pay for it.

Ultimately, I was put on MEDCON orders through NGB, requested through my unit's Medical Group. The funds for travel came from the active duty side. I was assigned a patient care representative at the nearest Air Force Base, who worked the fund site for it and helped me run it through DTS. I would talk to your PEBLO about that part.

I'm off of MEDCON orders right now, but I'm a full-time Tech and my leadership grants me the ability to go to my appointments. Luckily for me, they are all in the local area now (Air Force Base and VA facility) so I don't have to jump through the hoops to travel.

Hope this helps!