PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Scenario:

- 14 years Active Duty
- E-7 Army
- Chapter 4 Separation (Disability, Permanent Enhanced) SEJ Separation Code
- 100% P&T through the VA

My questions is:

Will I receive a retirement from the DoD and and 100% P&T from the VA? Or which ever is Higher?

What will my Retirement pay be?

I cant seem to get a straight answer.

Thanks in Advance

Scenario:

- 14 years Active Duty
- E-7 Army
- Chapter 4 Separation (Disability, Permanent Enhanced) SEJ Separation Code
- 100% P&T through the VA

My questions is:

Will I receive a retirement from the DoD and and 100% P&T from the VA? Or which ever is Higher?

What will my Retirement pay be?

I cant seem to get a straight answer.

Thanks in Advance
Hello,

In January 2018, you said:
"So I am a retired Sergeant First Class, regular 20 year retirement.
I received my VA claim as 40%.
I applied for CRSC (only 30% was actual combat related), and I also filed for an appeal for my VA Claim
."

If that is somehow incorrect (which would be puzzling), the following would be needed to provide the info you requested:

1. What is your DoD disability retirement percentage?
2. What is the amount of your VA compensation (include dependent categories, numbers, and ages of children)
3. Are 14 years active duty the precise number of years and months?
4. What is your average high three base pay for retirement (total of highest 36 months of pay divided by 36)?

Ron

Last edited:
Thank yo for the reply but I am going strictly by the scenario given.

I am trying to help a friend and to better understand the process. I retired in 2017 and have since sorted out of my details, but I am interested in the scenario provided.

Being medically retired, Can you get Both? or do you get the higher of the two?

Thanks Again

Thank yo for the reply but I am going strictly by the scenario given.

I am trying to help a friend and to better understand the process. I retired in 2017 and have since sorted out of my details, but I am interested in the scenario provided.

Being medically retired, Can you get Both? or do you get the higher of the two?

Thanks Again
Hello,

Then the following applies:
1. What is your DoD disability retirement percentage?
2. What is the amount of your VA compensation (include dependent categories, numbers, and ages of children)
3. Are 14 years active duty the precise number of years and months?
4. What is your average high three base pay for retirement (total of highest 36 months of pay divided by 36)?

Remarks:
--Medical retirement is generally disability retired percentage (or longevity multiplier, whichever is higher) x average high three for retirement.
--That retired pay is reduced by the amount of the VA compensation. Any left over retired pay is kept by the retiree.
--He she will also receive VA compensation.
--The "person" you described is not eligible for CRDP (concurrent receipt)
--he or she might be entitled to CRSC.

It is not an either or situation with regard to ret pay or VA comp. It is:
--Medical retirement is generally disability retired percentage (or longevity multiplier, whichever is higher) x average high three for retirement.
--That retired pay is reduced by the amount of the VA compensation. Any left over retired pay is kept by the retiree.
--The retiree also receives the VA comp.

I have never seen one case where it was more advantageous to decline VA comp since any left over retired pay is kept by retiree.

Ron

My friend is 100% P&T through the VA.
He does not get CRSC, I know for sure.
He was medically Separated under Chapter 4 Separation for his back I believe.
He was a newly promoted E-7
I'll have to ask everything else.

But I guess we are having a hard time understanding the 14 year retired piece.

14 years X 2.5 = 35%=$1600ish monthly

For the sake of understanding,

Lets say his monthly retirement from the DoD was 1600 per month and he was rated at 100% from the VA at 3300 per month, what should his net monthly retirement be?

My friend is 100% P&T through the VA.
He does not get CRSC, I know for sure.
He was medically Separated under Chapter 4 Separation for his back I believe.
He was a newly promoted E-7
I'll have to ask everything else.

But I guess we are having a hard time understanding the 14 year retired piece.

14 years X 2.5 = 35%=$1600ish monthly

For the sake of understanding,

Lets say his monthly retirement from the DoD was 1600 per month and he was rated at 100% from the VA at 3300 per month, what should his net monthly retirement be?
Hello,

Yes, the 14 x 2.5% would be used IF it was a lower percentage than the disability percentage...in most cases the disability percentage is the higher of the two. Sorry for leaving that out.

Your example: 1600 minus 3300 amount of VA compensation = zero retired pay He would receive 3300 from the VA each months UNLESS he qualified for CRSC.

You said, "He was medically Separated under Chapter 4 Separation for his back I believe " If he was just separated rather than retired this entire discussion is invalid.

Ron

Gotcha....Thanks
You might not have seen my late edit:
You said, "He was medically Separated under Chapter 4 Separation for his back I believe " If he was just separated rather than retired this entire discussion is invalid.

Ron

Last edited:
His 214 says this

23. Type of Separation - Retirement
24. Character of Discharge - Honorable
25. Separation authority - AR 635-40, Chap 4
26. Separation Code - SEJ
27. Reentry Code - 4
28. Narrative reason for separation - Disability, Permanent (Enhanced)

His 214 says this

23. Type of Separation - Retirement
24. Character of Discharge - Honorable
25. Separation authority - AR 635-40, Chap 4
26. Separation Code - SEJ
27. Reentry Code - 4
28. Narrative reason for separation - Disability, Permanent (Enhanced)
Then...

--Medical retirement is generally the higher of disability retired percentage OR longevity multiplier x average high three for retirement.
--The retiree also receives the VA comp.

Ron

Ok now you done went and confused me again
Hello,

Scenario:
35% longevity multiplier (14 years)
60% DoD disability multiplier (example)
60% is higher
60% x average high three base pay = retired pay
Retired pay is reduced by amount of VA compensation. Any retired pay in excess of the VA amount is kept by retiree
!00% VA comp...he receives it.

Ron

What part do you not understand?

He waives retired pay in the amount of VA compensation received. He is not entitled to CRDP.

As a 20 year retiree with a 50% VA rating or more, you are entitled to CRDP (if you did not choose CRSC). Page two of your DFAS RAS shows how much of your retired pay is CRDP. In other words, if this paragraph describes you, CRDP allows you to keep the amount you would have lost (like your friend) if not for CRDP.

Ron

Most likely he will only get VA pay, you have to know the DoD rating to know for sure. He could get up to 75% of his base pay and for an E-7, this number is most likely lower than 100% VA compensation (his base pay would have to be in the $5000 range to more than VA compensation of 100%). But if his DoD retired pay is high, then DFAS will pay him his retired pay minus VA compensation, then the VA would pay him all of the VA compensation. If not then DFAS pays him nothing and VA will still pay him the compensation amount.

Got it. I am 20 years retired and over 50% so I got a good grasp on how CRDP works.

I guess its the DoD retirement that messes with me.

Thanks

Got it. I am 20 years retired and over 50% so I got a good grasp on how CRDP works.

I guess its the DoD retirement that messes with me.

Thanks
I just retired yesterday and my DD214 says SEA under block 28. I cannot find that code in the list online. Do you know what is stands for? Thanks in advance. IAO

I just retired yesterday and my DD214 says SEA under block 28. I cannot find that code in the list online. Do you know what is stands for? Thanks in advance. IAO
From @JoePlasm in June:

"Ok so my DD214 civilian got back to me. Army made new SPD codes in April, those are already in TRANSPROC. But the regulation that lists them has been delayed because of COVID, so currently no place to look them up. Additionally that reg is LIMDIS because the old codes escaped to employers and were being used and that's evidently not the intent. So don't expect to see a published update of the list unless and AD forum member can pull it down.

SEA = Disability Retirement, Combat - Related.

SEA is one of the new ones because the old list only had: SEK, SEJ for PDRL or TDRL regardless of Combat or not. The two Combat related codes only applied to Separations <20 with severance.

SEA (and what ever it's PDRL equivalent is), allow the Army to classify medical retirement (so not severance) that's combat related, before the change they could not do that because no code existed. "

Ron

From @JoePlasm in June:

"Ok so my DD214 civilian got back to me. Army made new SPD codes in April, those are already in TRANSPROC. But the regulation that lists them has been delayed because of COVID, so currently no place to look them up. Additionally that reg is LIMDIS because the old codes escaped to employers and were being used and that's evidently not the intent. So don't expect to see a published update of the list unless and AD forum member can pull it down.

SEA = Disability Retirement, Combat - Related.

SEA is one of the new ones because the old list only had: SEK, SEJ for PDRL or TDRL regardless of Combat or not. The two Combat related codes only applied to Separations <20 with severance.

SEA (and what ever it's PDRL equivalent is), allow the Army to classify medical retirement (so not severance) that's combat related, before the change they could not do that because no code existed. "

Ron
Great. Thank you very much for the information. I was unable to find that exact code myself.